Sunday, October 11, 2015

15 October Organizing Challenge: Dare To DIY With A New Supply

We have done a lot of challenges together over the years, some big and some small.  I personally prefer the small ones as they still make an impact without becoming too overwhelming or stressful.  I especially love how many of you participate in these challenges, or even revisit them later as your time permits.  Organizing is always much more fun when you have someone to do it with, and a community who is just as excited about it as you are.

I have decided to kick the supersized daily and weekly challenges to the curb for now.  Getting back to the basics is what it is all about, so each monthly organizing challenge is going to be simple, small, specific yet effective.  The goal is to be motivated to get something done, even something small, that ultimately has a positive impact on our days.



October's Organizing Challenge: DARE TO DIY WITH A NEW SUPPLY


First, don't be discouraged to see DIY in the challenge title.  DIY = Do It Yourself.  It doesn't have to equate to hammers and screwdrivers, it can be anything you personally create with your own two hands.  Maybe you have been wanting to try to line a drawer with pretty paper.  Or thinking of making some paper mache dishes to hold your jewelry.  It can even be as simple as making your own labels for the first time.

Second, the goal is to try something new.  Some of my absolute favorite storage solutions/projects have come from trying out a new product or supply.  And my friends, it can be anything from a material to an art supply to a type of tool.  I am challenging you to think of something you have always wanted to do or try, and finally make it happen!

Here are a few material and supply ideas to get the creative juices flowing:

  • Clay
  • Paper Mache
  • Cork


  • Paint Pens
  • Bamboo
  • Rope 










  • Craft Wood
  • Iron-on Fabric Adhesive
  • Decoupage










  • Upholstery Strips
  • Nailhead Trim
  • Pegboard



  • Plumbing pipes
  • Die Cutting Machine
  • Stencil










  • Twine
  • Wire
  • And my personal favorite, paint!



I could go on and on, but I think you probably have the idea by now.  Before I started blogging, I probably wouldn't have tried using half of the materials I mentioned above.  But each time I grab for something new, I feel more confident in my abilities to create something amazing for our home.  Some of my favorite projects were done with materials I had never played with prior, and that is my driving factor for this month's challenge.

Of course, the ultimate goal is to organize something, while the fun part will be integrating a new product or supply into the mix.


The link party begins now and will close Sunday, November 8th (you will be able to access the link party all month long on my sidebar).  That is almost a full month to work on the project and share it here with me.  I will be sharing anything I try throughout the remainder of the month as well.  This is going to be so much fun!!

There are a few materials I have in mind that I would like to experiment with such as clay, yarn, dye, lacquer, tile and plumbing parts just to name a few.  Feel free to let me know if there is one is particular you think would be fun to see.

What product will you pick to try out this month?

15 comments:

  1. I love your DIY ideas! It is practical and makes the place look so much neater

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to make a box of all those lovely business cards! Could we see more pictures of yours? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great challenge idea! I've got one in mind using a material that I bought, but haven't used yet. It was supposed to be done for Christmas last year, but life happened :-) So it's on my Christmas list for this year -- this is a great kick in the pants to go ahead and try it. It's a display board for my kids' hat pin collections from all the neat places they've been. Can't wait to get started and to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just shared several posts about how I organized my jewelry and accessories! I wasn't sure how many were allowed, but I had a bunch of ideas and posts from when I completely renovated my attic into a giant bedroom for three. All that stuff had to go somewhere!

    I love the pictures you have here. So much beautiful inspiration for future projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, your projects are so inspiring! Thanks again for all you do. I officially need to make that jewelry cork board and cord taco!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for hosting this Challenge! I look forward to seeing all the wonderful organizational DIY projects :)

    ~Be Sweet
    Christina at
    SWEET HAUTE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see you use clay to make small keepsakes or decorations such as place card holders. I would love to see something for the upcoming holidays, but also can be used in other ways, like a fun wedding place card holder diy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jen.. Do you happen to have instructions for the clothes peg collecting hoop? I know its very simple but the cloth around the hoop looks very neatly tucked. Have you glued the ends?
    Love, Simple..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this list of suggestions! Gets my juices flowing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your projects they are so cute and fun!!
    http://glitterboxblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your projects they are so cute and fun!
    http://glitterboxblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay!! I love this challenge, I'll be diving right in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for hosting this link up and for all the great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG... Laminate flooring. Little late for the post, but it was you who inspired me. And, I hate it. lol Laying it. The floors look amazing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your organizing tips and that light blue paint on furniture is beautiful :) My new must have in my apartman :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.