Saturday, May 24, 2014

47 A Crafty Kid's Cabinet

I have been thinking about creating a craft cabinet in our living room for awhile now.  I don't typically love messes, but one mess that always makes me happy is a crafty mess.  So, to encourage on-the-spot crafting I have added little buckets of markers and crayons around our home.  The remainder of our crafts were being stored in a storage container inside of a storage ottoman in our guest bedroom.  Unfortunately, being so tucked away was not encouraging enough painting and gluing and creating with the boys. 


In fact, I knew I was on to something earlier this week when I pulled those storage ottomans out into the living room to begin the craft cabinet transition.  It didn't take long for the boys to dig right in.


Inside of the ottomans, items were stacked and even snagging a simple piece of construction paper for a a school project was far more work than necessary.

Creating the cabinet wasn't rocket science by any means.  I sifted through all of their supplies, purged anything broken and dried out and put things where they would be easy for the boys to maintain.


When it comes to kids, they consistently remind me that the easier the system, the more likely they are to maintain it.  So, organizing for them means being flexible and relaxed and making sure everything is simple to access, and more importantly, simple to return.

A few containers with specific purposes like our sand bin and our play-doh bin as well as a caddy filled with glues, scissors, paints, brushes, colored pencils and markers all grace the shelves.   Everything is durable and portable and kid friendly.



The rest of their supplies like googly eyes and pipe cleaners and even some flashy sequins, are all tossed within a decorative box on the lower shelf.

The cabinet was working well, but after it was all set-up, strangely enough I started feeling a little... crafty!

So, I did what I love to do and added a little extra organizational fun.

The wooden crate you see there on the shelves, previously held a few random supplies and then sat empty {originally found at our local craft store}.  The boys and I thought it would be a good place to store their loom bands, but first it needed a little love.


So, I gave it two coats of stain, the stain was leftover from our bookcase update we did a few weeks back.


Once the stain was dry, I added in colored patterned paper at the bottom of each slot.


The colors correlated with the loom bands, which we all started dividing out as a family.


A few things received some washi tape lovin', like the lid of a mason jar holding beads.


And the fronts of a few magazine holders, which now hold construction paper and projects that the boys currently have in the works.



No organizing project would be complete without some good labels, so I turned to my trusty Silhouette die cutting machine.


I designed the labels in Silhouette Studio and printed them with my printer and then ran them through my Silhouette to cut them out of sticker paper.


Instant awesomeness.




We had an abundance of crayons so they were tossed into the old bead bucket once those were transferred to a mason jar.  The bead bucket label couldn't be removed, so I just covered it with more decorative paper.


All those quick and simple touches made the cabinet much more playful and colorful; much more "us".


Oh yeah!  And those new beautiful and shiny doors!  Well, they keep all of this crafty clutter nice and concealed.  The only thing about this project that is not concealed, is my smile.  Cheesy, I know.


Fingers crossed that this new setup will keep the creative juices flowing around here; especially with summer break right around the corner.

Good news for you fellow label-aholics!  Silhouette has a promotion going on with both of their machines and their special label making materials.  Just head here and enter ORGANIZING at checkout.


May 21 - 31, 2014
Silhouette CAMEO 
  • 1 Printable Cotton Canvas
  • 1 Vellum
  • 1 Adhesive Washi Sheets
  • 1 Printable Adhesive Kraft Paper
  • 1 Stencil Material 
MSRP: $340.94
Sale: $269.99


Portrait Bundle
Silhouette Portrait
  • 1 Printable Cotton Canvas
  • 1 Vellum
  • 1 Adhesive Washi Sheets
  • 1 Printable Adhesive Kraft Paper
  • 1 Stencil Material 
MSRP: $220.94
Sale: $139.99

All Specialty Media 25% off







47 comments:

  1. What are the chances of you doing a tutorial blood on using the silhouette? I really want one, but am worried about using it properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa!

      Everything I have learned about using the Silhouette has been by watching YouTube tutorials and following the Silhouette Blog. All of their specialty media comes with really easy to follow directions as well.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  2. Do you have a source for the caddy? It's much pretty than all the plastic ones I see around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the caddy at Target a few years ago {and painted it and gave it my own label}. I just saw more stocked at our local Target in the seasonal outdoor eating/play area.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  3. Looks great Jen! I love the extra touches you added with the patterened paper and washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! But how do you keep the kinetic sand from going EVERYWHERE! It drives me crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a few friendly conversations with the boys when we purchased it regarding how/where it should be used. We let them know it was too expensive to purchase any new sand so they would have to be careful with it to make it last. We just lay out some craft paper and have them play with it at our counter and that has worked well so far. :)

      xoxo!

      Delete
  5. This makes me want to re-do our craft cabinet in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I now wish I had cabinets in my tv room instead of drawers that are hard to open. We have craft supplies EVERYWHERE..... I'm an art teacher, have a BA in Art, and my 5 year old loves to do crafts. My problem is now to store things in her reach but out of reach of my 7 month old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you find the metal pen/utensil caddy? Love all the pretty on here, btw. Must learn to be less of a slob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the caddy at Target a few years ago {and painted it and gave it my own label}. I just saw more stocked at our local Target in the seasonal outdoor eating/play area.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  8. Love this! What fonts did you use for the labels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara,

      I used Raleway and Showcase Script {I believe Raleway is free however, showcase script was a purchased font}.

      xo!

      Delete
  9. I love that "create" caddy! So cute and functional! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the caddy at Target a few years ago {and painted it and gave it my own label}. I just saw more stocked at our local Target in the seasonal outdoor eating/play area.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  10. This is gorgeous Jen!! My two little ones love to craft! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog has convinced me that I need a Silhouette but I have what might be a stupid question. I'm leaning towards the Portrait because I'm not sure I need something as big as the Cameo or that I'll use it enough to justify the price but looking at the materials, the smallest vinyl is 9" and the smallest adhesive cardstock is 12". So do I have to trim anything that goes into the Portrait or do you not usually just use it like a sheet-fed printer and instead cut out to the relative size of your label ahead of time anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy!

      The Portrait should fit most materials without problems {the 9" vinyl with fit the Portrait, and many of their special products such as sticker paper and printable canvas are all on sheets that also fit the Portrait}. The only things you would have to slice down is anything that is made for the 12" sized Cameo. The nice thing about the machines is that most products can be cut down prior to feeding them in because most are designed to be used with a sticky mat. This allows you to conserve materials and get creative with what you have.

      Hope that helps a bit!
      Jen

      Delete
  12. Where is the caddy from? It looks like the perfect thing for our art area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the caddy at Target a few years ago {and painted it and gave it my own label}. I just saw more stocked at our local Target in the seasonal outdoor eating/play area.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  13. I thought the Kinetic Sand has to be stored in a open box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole!

      I have not heard that before. The storage instructions for our sand was, "Store Kinetic Sand in a sealed container to keep clean and dust-free". We have had ours for months now and it is still great being stored in our bin.

      xoxo!

      Delete
    2. Hi Jen,
      would you say the Kinetic Sand is worth the money?
      I am debating on whether or not to get it... does it really "flow" /"collapse" like shown on the videos?

      Delete
    3. My kiddos really love playing with it and I even find it addicting and fun. We are hooked! I agree, you don't get much for your money but it also is guaranteed to last and never dry out. So far for us, it has lasted great!

      xo!

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous! This reinforces my plans to find one well accessible place for all the crafting supplies scattered throughout our house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, love this! I have three little crafters, so this is RIGHT up my alley. :) I absolutely definitely need a Silhouette in my life!! Your labels are always so perfect.

    Karen | a house full of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love how you come up with organizing solutions, like the caddy and the color-coordinated band boxes! But my favorite thing is how well you are at combining colors and patterns. The way you staggered the stripes of the washi tape to make a whole new pattern -- brilliant! Long time follower, first time commenter here :) *hi!*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it....we got that Kinetic sand as well...LOVE IT! Christine from Little Brags

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was thinking about some craft storage this weekend, so I ran up to Michaels to see what I could find- turns out their photo boxes are on sale for $1.42 today! And they have some VERY cute patterns! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your organization tips! I am sure I will refer back to these when Ryan is a little older :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jen! because of you I brought a silhouette, I also have a cricut expression, and never knew of a silhouette until I started reading your blog. I've only used it to make a vinyl label for my dish soap, and a cutout for my bulletin board at work. Any who I spend a great deal of money buying the specialty media after reading your post LOL! As a teacher and a mom I love your craft cabinet, I have craft things piling up around here and you just gave me a great idea Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just curious which size silhouette you bought! I really want to get one with this promotion, but can't decide! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  21. Very cool Jen! I need to put my kids' craft materials in a more accessible space too, but with them being so little, I'm hesitant still... because i'm likely to end up with stamped designs on my walls or furniture, even though they do try to use materials properly. :) Maybe next summer when they'll be 3 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Jen, this is amazing! I'm already making plans to do my own crafting caddy, but I was also wondering where you got that square cut-out box. It's so pretty and I was thinking that a few of those would be perfect in my bathroom! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! The square bin is from Target a few years back. I wish they would bring them back, I really love them!

      Jen

      Delete
  23. Hi Jen! Thank you for sharing all your creative and pretty ideas! I have your blog on my feedly and I love getting your posts!

    Your crafty cabinet is adorable!...but your markers are making my first grade teacher OCD go crazy!! Did you know that storing markers cap-up dries them out!? Cap-down, girl...always!! You'll be so surprised at how much better they write!!

    Thanks, again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tip Cara! I have never heard that but it makes total sense! I will be flipping them in the morning. :)

      Delete
  24. Hey Jen, I was wondering if you would be willing to share your silhouette label file? If not did you create the shape or buy it?

    Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genevieve!

      I don't typically save my Silhouette files once they are done, however, I purchased the 'Assorted labels and frames by Jamie Koay', and added my own font to them.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  25. I use washi tape and duck tape on almost everything! Great inspirations thanks!

    XOXO JuJu
    http://www.jujusmoments.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. The plastic boxes for the kinetic sand & play doh, what brand/ where are they from? They look like the perfect size to store some of my toddlers Melissa & Doug toys that are in open boxes. I have been unsuccessfully looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet,

      I believe they are Sterilite brand and I found them at Target. They are great narrow stacking bins, we love them!

      xo!

      Delete
  27. Can I be nosy and ask what is in the boxes? Love your ideas for storing odd items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Van!

      The bottom two blue boxes contain extra random crafting supplies. The top one has things like pipe cleaners, sequins, scraps, silly eyes, etc... and the bottom one contains leftover items from our Kiwi Crates.

      The box on the top shelf holds some of my project life cards.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  28. I was wondering where you purchased your magazine holders. I have been looking for some larger ones for our craft cabinet for paper and activity books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically pick them up at IKEA, they are generally reasonably priced: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00292008/#/20292007 (similar)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.