Friday, November 7, 2014

71 Master Bedroom Refresh - How We Saved

Bryan and I had a lot of giggles when trying to come up with a title for this post.  Let's just say when you add, "in the bedroom" to anything, the innuendos start to fly.  So I decided to keep it simple and PG, you are welcome.

Earlier this week I gave you a little tour of our master bedroom.  It is not high end or designer but it is "us" and we were able to save quite a few pennies by putting a little extra thought and effort into the items we brought into the space.   I thought it would be fun to share all of the ways we have been able to bring in our creative touches, without breaking the bank.



1.  Switch Things Up!   

If you have been reading my blog for awhile now, you know that I move things around on a daily basis.  A tealight votive here, a decorative box there... I have been that way since I was a child and just can't seem to help myself.  I love how simple movement can change the entire feeling in a space.  So when it came to updating our bedroom, I did just that.  I made an internal switch of furniture from our son's bedroom to our bedroom.  I didn't lose storage, in fact, I gained since the new dresser is deeper than our previous option.  And all the old dresser needed was two coats of glossy white paint and some spray painted hardware.  A total cost of zero dollars (we had everything on hand already),  and we had ourselves a whole new look.




2.  Be Inspired!

I have been lusting over the Kate Spade nesting boxes for eons now.  They just feel so chic and glam with the pretty pinks and golds.  But really for what you get, the price seemed high.  I knew I could do better by getting creative with crafts, so I did just that.


I started the project by pairing some cardboard nesting boxes I found at the craft store (similar), with spray paint in similar hues as the inspiration boxes (also found at the craft store).  Once the paint had cured, I taped off the lip of the boxes and applied a coat of liquid gold gilding.  Last step was to stick on my favorite adhesive bookplates and boom!  Beautiful DIY storage!



3.  Curtain Call!

Because our bedroom is in the lower level of our home, we have an awkward ledge running the full length of one of our walls, just under the window.  The ledge has not allowed me to hang curtains, leaving me with a roman shade as one of my only options.  Our window is not a standard size, and custom roman shades are crazy expensive!  After a few hours of Googling and attempting to source something affordable, I finally found a generic white shade being sold on Amazon.  The shade was discounted because it was sold through the marketplace and had a small imperfection (some dirt I was able to spot clean).  The shade also had tabs to hold a decorative rod, totally not my cup of tea, but that didn't stop me.


Once the shade arrived, I dug through my ribbon and sewing items and pulled out everything I needed to give the shade a more modern feel.



4.  DIY Gold Foil Art

The art above the bed was made at home using supplies I had on hand.  I used my Silhouette to cut out the letters and paired them with some gold leaf on black poster board.  I used frames that were previously hung on the opposite side of the room.  Changing out the contents of frames is one of the easiest ways to breath new life into a space.  I love framing DIY art, as well as decorative papers, fabrics, calendars, book covers, etc...



5.  SIY = Sew It Yourself!

As I was sourcing out pillow options for our bed (which definitely needed something up against all the white), I fell in love with these pillow covers.  Lucky for me, the fabric used was mentioned in the description, so I was able to purchase the yardage for much cheaper and sew the pillows at home.  I was able to get two pillows out of a single yard, saving me around $70 by sewing them myself.  Actually, I had the help of my sewing pro neighbor, but you get the point. :)



6.  DIY Rolling Caddy

When making over the room, I didn't just want to add in pretty layers, I also wanted to make it a function a little better.  I like to wind down at the end of the day by checking in on emails, jotting down daily thoughts and reading magazines, which means I always have a pile of electronics and books next to my bed each morning.


I initially grabbed an old wire basket I had purchased from HomeGoods years ago, which worked fine, but with the addition of a scrap piece of wood and some rolling casters, it now rocks!



7.  It's Not So Hard!

One of the easiest ways to update any piece of furniture is with decorative hardware.  For the white painted dresser pictured above, I just spray painted hardware we already owned to give it new life.  The nightstands were a gift from my mom when I moved out after High School, so although they are aging, they were given a little face lift with pretty Anthropologie pulls.  And my vanity was a simple white desk, but the addition of some fabulous black and white knobs found on sale at Hobby Lobby, and it was suddenly much more chic (even if they are not all currently turned the same way... oops).



8.  Dish It!

I love collecting small dishes from thrift stores.  They are perfect for corralling everything from pocket change to keys to my daily bobby pins and jewelry near by bedside.  The small white dish next to my bed received a foil treatment, making it thrift store gold!


Another thrift store dish now corrals my earnings on my dresser.



9.  Display It!

I have been displaying my jewelry collection within my closet for a few years now, and I will never go back.  I have limited closet space (by choice), so I make changes to my wardrobe by playing with accessories.  Each morning after I get dressed, all I have to do stop by my display, select a necklace, earrings and some arm candy, and quickly move on with my day.  And it feels very boutique-like for me, but it was a super inexpensive DIY.


The necklace board was made from a $10 cork board found at Target, covered with linen fabric and given a nailhead border with thumb tacks.  The earring dish was found at a thrift store and the bracelet stand was crafted out of a cardboard paper towel roll.


10.  Dress It Up!

This one is blog-obvious, but it is always worth mentioning.  When trying to cut costs on furniture, head to IKEA, pick up something simple, and then dress it up on your own!  One of the easiest ways to do so is with Overlay's.  We added decorative detailing to the fronts of our MALM dresser years ago, and after recently painting them white, they look better than ever!



11.  A Bright Idea!

Lighting can be expensive!  Especially trendy lamps with gold or brass detailing and curvy bodies.  If you are able to track down a shape you are drawn to, your color options are limitless thanks to spray paint.  I was able to avoid purchasing the $200+ lamps I loved, by finding a pretty navy and brass spray paint and coating some of our existing lamps instead.  Money saved yet the same look was achieved!



12.   The Floral Treatment

Carnations are not just for prom corsages & boutonnieres.  Once the cold weather hits, I find ways to bring fresh flowers into our home all winter long (serious sanity saver).  Fresh flowers can get really expensive, especially when you are purchasing them for an entire season.  But if you gotta have 'em, consider carnations.  Seriously guys, I had this mug of carnations for THREE weeks!  And they looked great day after day!  Keeping a bunch in a single color is so simple and pretty.  I am a fan.



Of course the bonus tip is being brought to you by Captain Obvious, but for those bigger purchases, wait for sales and coupons.  I love RugsUSA because I can find 6x9 and 8x10 rugs for around $200 during their sales (typically 60-80% off).  I also joined the World Market loyalty program (for free), so I receive notifications on sales and coupons all the time.  And because I now shop from the comfort of my home with these grand coupons, I always earn cash back using Ebates.  All ways to make the pill just a smidge easier to swallow.

What DIY projects have you recently completed in the bedroom?  Anyone building furniture, sewing curtains and pillows or creating playful DIY art?  


71 comments:

  1. This post is so helpful and amazing. All of these ideas are great! Everyone could use some savings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Jen (and Bryan), you guys rock! All those ideas are awesome, especially the shade and the rolling cart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so obsessed by your rolling cart idea I can't even stand it! Sooo gonna diy one of these babies for my house! BRILLANT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post seriously came at the most perfect time! I am currently creating a home office in our apartment, and one the DIY projects I had lined up for this weekend was painting storage boxes that I bought earlier this week, I think they may be the same exact ones that you painted! Do you think spray paint is better than painting with a brush? I've never used spray paint before and am nervous about making a mess attempting it. Any recommendations?
    Love all of your projects, perfect inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! I went with spray paint for a few reasons, mainly to get a nice, smooth brush-stroke free finish. The first coat absorbed into the cardboard a bit but the second and third coats covered nicely. Spray painting is so quick and easy and doesn't leave a sticky finish, but you definitely could also just brush paint them. Also, I just lay out a big drop cloth to catch any overspray. Easy peasy cleanup. xoxo!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful room Jen! I LOVE the pops of color, gold touches and easy DIY projects. I think I'm gonna have to steal the idea of the rolling cart and adding plywood to the bottom, genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading your blog for years, I don't believe I've ever commented (sorry!). This post was just awesome. You crammed so many little DIY updates into one giant helpful post. Everything is so approachable and cute. Thanks for continuing to inspire! - Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this post. We are relocating from WI to TN next month...HOORAY!! My daughters are taking this opportunity to redecorate their shared bedroom. You have inspired us to use white comforters and pop some color! I just wish those pillows weren't so expensive! I cannot sew :( Going to try Home Goods. But I am going to try those storage boxes. They are gorgeous!! AND, I am going to try the rolling basket. I have a ton of those baskets in my "vintage chic" home! I think painted gold would look great in my daughters' new room also.

    Can you tell me where you got the vase the carnations are in? I apologize if it's already in the post and I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! The vase is a mug from Anthropologie. I love using them as vases and pen holders! :) Wishing you a happy and stress free move! Sounds like your daughter's room will be darling!

      Delete
    2. They don't have the mug with gold letters anymore :(

      Delete
  8. I totally want to make that magazine basket thingy! :) I sent the link to my husband and told him to get on it! Haha!

    But question about the nesting boxes... what kind of tape did you use to do the gold part? I tried doing some painter's tape on a similar style box and it pulled up some of the cardboard, leaving noticeable lines. Or I wonder if the paint helped prevent that? Just curious.

    I love all your DIY ideas. They are actually DIY-able for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! I used Washi tape. :). Worked really well!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE everything about this room. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! I just learned more tricks in this one blog post than I have all week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the whole room! I love the pillows but like you a little too expensive.. you said you were able to find the fabric used in the description but i didn't see it... Where did you find it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellyn! Here is the fabric source: http://www.tonicliving.com/Paint-Palette-Punch-P3138.aspx

      Delete
  12. I love your room! So bright and cheerful!

    I am in the process of flipping our laundry room (the big stuff this weekend) and that includes building chunky, rustic shelves. I have never really done something so....crazy? hahah It would be easier to find reclaimed wood, but Im on a serious budget with this space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds beautiful Heather! I am sure they will turn out amazing! I would love to do something similar someday! Best of luck!

      Delete
  13. Wow, beautiful Jen, and such simple projects (except the sewing), but only you thought of them! I love the wire basket on casters. Brilliant. Everyone is talking about a Silhouette. I am itching for one. It's on my Xmas wish list! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your jewelry space & storage boxes are such a neat way to organize! I'm inspired. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it. I've been wanting to switch to an all white comforter but my husband is iffy. I'm going to do it anyway. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing all of the tips. I bought some carnations awhile back and discovered that they stay fresh for weeks as well! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen, I love what you've done! I especially love the jewelry space! Can you tell me some more about what is holding up your necklaces? I would think a normal pin wouldn't hold the weight of most necklaces. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaclyn,
      I have always just used regular office push pins and they have worked great for holding the weight of my jewelry. I think using a strong cork board helps also. xoxo!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jen! I really love the advice/tips/suggestions you give on your blog! You are one of the few I read continuously! :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Jen! As always, loved reading your posts and ideas! I am curious if you have any suggestions for different bookplates? I love using bookplates but my local staples (and on-line) say that they are out of the ones that you mentioned. Any other places you purchase your bookplates?
    Thanks!
    :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  19. You room turned out so lovely! I want to pin every image because there are so many great tricks in this post! *High five*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything looks very nice, clean, and crisp! I like your roman shade, but have you thought about using some sort of bracket to extend a curtain rod out past your ledge so that you could hang curtains? Or maybe you could hang the rod from the ceiling? I'm not sure how far out the ledge is, so that might not be possible, just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore the Mr. & Mrs. prints! So cute for a master bedroom. I also love your jewelry storage. Functional yet pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just pinned several pictures! Thanks for obviously putting so much time and detail into this post. I am excited to tackle a few things you mentioned, especially the boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous as always! I have a question about the dresser...what do you find works best for the gloss paint (spray paint, brush, roller)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that sanding it super smooth with our palm sander then using a microfiber mini roller for any smooth surfaces and a good brush for details worked really well.

      Delete
  24. I was looking forward to this post, and you didn't disappoint--so many great ideas! You are truly inspiring, Jen. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant ideas! I'm always moving furniture around to stop myself from spending. It's enough to change to keep me happy but costs absolutely nothing =P

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the room but boy oh boy did my brain go into sensory meltdown when I looked at the rug! To me it made the room look a bit too busy. Otherwise it looked great! Well done Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  27. loving these ideas! going to have a go at few of them for my room!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was such a great post full of easy ideas we can all use for our bedrooms (or any space for that matter). My bedroom has been a work in progress for far too long so I'm hoping this will jump start me finishing it once and for all!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! I was amazed just looking at the first few pictures, and then started to drool (just a little!) by the time I reached the end of your post. Absolutely stunning, and I am beyond psyched to start my master bedroom now! Thank you for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look so amazing! I love the way it makes your room look so bright and open! Particularly excited to attempt and recreate the way your jewelry is stored. I find it beautiful! Thanks for all the inspiration!

    architaxb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the frames above your bed and the DIY rolling cart is a great idea. The new dresser in your room is lovely. I'm picking up some carnations the next time I go to the store. Thanks for the tip!

    http://www.savorthebaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love it! Particularly how calm the whole room looks even with the girly touches.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Quick question. What type of tread mill do you have and do you like it? Thanks Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane!

      We purchased a Pro-Form from Sports Authority and it was an inexpensive Black Friday find, however, it has been serving us just fine for at least 6 years now. :) It is fairly basic, but that is all I was personally looking for.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  34. I absolutely love love love everything!!! Bedrooms are the goal for us this year. We've been so focused on our main level since moving in (3 years ago!), that we have done literally nothing to the bedrooms. Our master is anything but the calm piece of serenity that it should be! Thanks for some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing all your creative ideas. I love the corkboard idea for a necklace holder/display. All the little details you put into your bedroom made it look gorgeous. <3

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just beautiful! Love everything about it. Where did you find the denim colored/shams pillows on the bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The blue throw pillows are from HomeGoods. xo!

      Delete
  37. Love this! Where do I find the brass task lamp? Swooooon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! The task lamp was purchased last year from Joss & Main. I have seen similar styles sold by their sister company, Wayfair, and also at HomeGoods. xoxo!

      Delete
  38. JEN!!!!! You have done it again! You've left me in Awe. Inspired and SOO motivated! I absolutely LOVE what you've done to your place. And it's so timely that I find your post today, I've been in such a funk bc my Master looks like a storage unit. I've been so uninspired lately, until NOW. Until right bucking now! lol Thank you for sharing! I always look forward to your posts. I'll have to tag you when I finish my place - it all started with this post. Cheers & Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jen, I love all the great ideas, but especially the cork board you are using for jewelry storage. Can you tell me how you attached the fabric? Also, it looks like you used fabric to cover the frame, is that true? This looks like a project a DIY-challenged reader could accomplish! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa!

      It IS a super simple DIY! :) I used spray adhesive over the entire frame and smoothed the linen fabric over it. I wrapped the fabric around to the back and used painter's tape to hold the fabric. Then I added the pushpins around the edge of the frame as a decorative detailing.

      Good luck, you can do it!!

      xoxo!

      Delete
    2. I Love the Jewelry Board. What kind of board, can I use the roll up cork board? or do you use the cork board with a frame? You mentioned a strong cork board. Thanks Renee

      Delete
    3. Hi Renee,

      I used a cork board similar to this: http://www.target.com/p/the-board-dudes-framed-corkboard-17in-x-23in/-/A-11289612#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=cork+board

      I found it to be much stronger and sturdier than using the roll-up cork product, which I have used for past projects.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  40. LOVE your blog! Quick question. Where did you get the rug in your master bedroom and what is the name? Also, what about the striped runner in your hallway? Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley!

      The bedroom rug is from RugsUSA: http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-blocks/navy/200HJHK08A-76096.html and the hallway runner was from Joss & Main, it is a Dash & Albert indoor/outdoor runner and it has held up wonderfully to our heavy traffic.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  41. Love the room! Can you share the blue paint color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The wall color is Behr's Frozen Pond. xoxo!

      Delete
  42. Love the room and reusing what you have!!! I was wondering the color and sheen you used for the dresser, I'm thinking of redoing our entertainment center which is that standard darn brown color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myrna,

      I believe it was just a off-the-shelf white paint in semi-gloss (un-tinted). Most likely the Behr Ultra. I know I used just some old paint I had on hand, so I apologize that I don't recall the type exactly. For furniture, I definitely recommend something with a bit of sheen to it, and allowing it to properly cure before placing anything too heavy on it. For really high traffic pieces, I also recommend following up with a few thin coats of a water based poly. xoxo!

      Delete
  43. I Love the Jewelry holder! What size is the cork board?

    Thanks Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee,
      The cork board is approx 23" wide by 35" tall.
      xoxo!

      Delete
  44. On your jewelry board, I bought some white linen fabric, the glue shown through the fabric, what is the name of the adhesive that you used? Thanks Renee Blumel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee,

      I used a spray adhesive from the craft store, similar to this: http://amzn.to/1M0ogaM

      xoxo!

      Delete
  45. Hi I was looking on ikea recently at the malm drawers but wanted to fancy them up for my two little girls room and I come across the overlays you done these would be perfect but I'm struggling to find them any help would be really appreciated. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jody! Here is the link to the IKEA Malm Overlays: http://www.myoverlays.com/malm-test

      xoxo!

      Delete
  46. Awesome ideas! You are a truly inspiration for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. All of your stuff is amazing! I am looking to make similar nesting boxes and came across your post — I have the same Martha Stewart liquid gold gilding, however, when I tape and peel off the tape it bleeds — do you have any suggestions? Or, what worked for you to avoid this? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Sorry to hear that, could be the type of tape you used, or that it wasn't pushed down tightly. I would probably just use a small craft brush to touch up any bleeding with the box color.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.