Thursday, November 20, 2014

19 10 Minute Decorating: Holiday Edition!

For the past few months, my good friend Laura from Finding Home, has organized a super fun 10 minute decorating series.  You can find my first post here, in which I DIY'd a quick and easy colorful marble tray.  The next time around it was focused on autumn, and you can find my gold "leaf" art here.

This round we were challenged to focus on the upcoming holiday season.


On our recent little vacation, I was able to do some window shopping.  I couldn't purchase much as we were limited luggage wise, however, I did spot a set of four check napkins at Sur La Table on clearance for $8.  I dove for them, got them, and brought them home.

They are the inspiration for this year's holiday decor theme.  I just love the warmth of the black and white check pattern, and decided to pair it with silvers and pinks as we sprinkle decor around our home.

But hold the phone.  Did I just type that?  Holiday?  What?

When Laura mentioned to me last week that we were already focusing on our holiday post, I went into a state of shock.  It feels too early to me, I don't typically start decorating until after Thanksgiving.  So knowing I had to come up with something, and quick (hence the 10 minute title), I selected something that would look decoratively charming in our home for the next two months regardless of a kitchen renovation and the state of the remainder of the house.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you the DIY embellished tea towel!  #andthecrowdgoeswild

Are you ready for the simplicity of this darling project?  Here is what I started with:


The reindeer was cut by my Silhouette out of Smooth Heat Transfer Material.  The best part about the material is that you do not need a Silhouette to use it (and can just Google the product to find it sold at many online retailers).  You can trace any pattern and cut it out by hand.  Just be sure to pick something with simple lines and something that won't take too long to cut.  For the rest of the project, I used the new napkins, some pink ribbon, some pom pom trim, scissors and Liquid Stitch.

Step 1:  Place the heat transfer object right where you want it located on your towel.

Step 2:  Iron into place.  I found it worked best to use parchment paper and a high heat setting to get the transfer material to really stick.



Step 3:  Using the Liquid Stitch, embellish the bottom of the towel with ribbon and trim.  No sewing required!

And ta-da!  Quick, easy, affordable and darling.  Definitely an inspirational jumping off point to begin thinking about holiday decorating.  I love that I can use these when serving guests or just to keep on display in the kitchen. 


I also did a second one that says, "Be Bright".  Instant 10 minute holiday sweetness!


If you love these types of quick projects that take very little time yet leave you smiling, then be sure to follow along with the 10 Minute Decorating series over at Finding Home; including additional tips from myself, Michael of Inspired by Charm, KariAnne of Thistlewood Farms and Jessica of Four Generations One Roof

Ten, 10 Minute Decorating Ideas for Christmas

Faux Fur Garland

Holiday Letter Bling

Holiday Ornament Napkin Holder


And we also want for YOU to join in with us!  Just share your projects with us via instagram using the hashtag #10minutedecorating and we will all be checking in to see what you creative kids are up to!

Have you started decorating for the holiday season yet?  What colors are you going with this year?

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! That is a gorgeous check pattern. Holiday decorating doesn't always have to be in traditional colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so darling! I'm beyond obsessed with pom pom fringe so this is right up my alley. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooove these! They're so stinkin' cute! And so easy! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hot pink against the black and white! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that WAS a quick decor project. It is beautiful. (I need to really get some vinyl and try out all of those things on my Cameo *blushing*). The bright pop of pink is so you. :) Good luck with the kitchen reno! Are you starting it before the holidays??

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a cute idea and i love that it doesnt take a ton of time. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen - as always, AMAZING!!!! I so love it! Perfect ideas - I so may have to steal this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute and such a fun idea! I love the color scheme! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute. I love the colour scheme, I've decided to go traditional this year, but I love modern themes too! I've been toying with the idea of creating my own holiday cushions - I'm thinking the smooth heat transfer material would work really well, will have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you used non traditional colors for a holiday theme. It really makes the napkin pop and stand out from everything else.

    Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The black and white with the pompoms is great. However I have to agree with you that it's too early! There have been so many holiday posts in my blog feed that I'm starting to look for some variety. I think we bloggers have a hard time living in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these! Does anyone know if the heat transfer stands up to the washing machine and dryer?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was even quicker & way better than I was anticipating. These towels are a fantastic personalized gift to give to a host. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think i could do this! #doityouselfchallenged

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute quick idea! i love it, and the pink & b & w are adorable together. go you for grabbing those clearance towels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great idea for quick gifts... and I just picked up some cute tea towels at a great price. Thanks Jen, I'm always looking for inexpensive ways to dress things up

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Jen! I love your blog! What type of font did you use for the "be bright" phrase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unfortunately, the wording is a graphic I purchased from the Silhouette store, so I am unsure of the exact font used.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.