Wednesday, September 24, 2014

29 10 Minute Fall Decorating: Gold "Leaf" Wall Art

Last month I shared how I did a simple 10 minute project to create a fabulous new desk tray.  The 10 minute decorating series is hosted by my good friend, Laura of Finding Home, because she believes that creating a comfortable home doesn't have to take hours of your time.  That sometimes it is those quick and simple projects that leave you grinning as large as those ten hour projects do.

This time around the challenge was to not only find a way to decorate an area of our home within 10 minutes, it had to be related to autumn as well.


I love to do simple things around the home with the changing of the new season; things like bringing out warmer blankets and throws, swapping out sleeveless shirts with sweaters inside of my closet, and stocking up on hot apple cider and cinnamon sticks.  Truthfully, as much as I sincerely appreciate the beautiful scenery and color changes outside, I like to keep my spring / summer color scheme rockin' inside all year round.   This year, however, I decided to make some very minor updates around our home to embrace the cooler seasons ahead.  I am not typically drawn to reds, browns and oranges, but I am very much in love with plum as of late.  A pretty deep purple color not only can be found within our autumn landscape, it also works beautifully with my existing color scheme of blues, greens and pinks.

So when it came time to work on this challenge, I knew that my "go to" fall colors would be plum and gold.  The next step was to decide which area of our home was going to receive a little autumn lovin',  and I landed on a set of picture frames that hang in our dining room / kitchen area.  I typically change out the art every few months to keep things interesting, so this was the perfect opportunity to run with an autumn inspired 10 minute decorating project.


Previously I had some inexpensive IKEA artwork living in gold spray painted frames.  Time to mix things up a bit!


For the project, I started with very basic supplies including:

I began the project by printing a few special fall quotes onto some thicker printer paper.  You can download the free PDF I created with the quotes here.  

Next, I placed a sexy blue glove on my hand.... Rub 'n Buff can get messy, yo!


Using one hand to carefully hold down the artificial leaf, I went around the exterior of the leaf with the Rub n' Buff while pushing outward from the leaf onto the paper.


Final step is to place the artwork inside of the frames and pop them up onto the wall!


Seriously, SO easy and the gold glitters just beautifully in the sunshine coming in through the nearby patio door.




I also switched out the orchid vase for something taller and more lively and paired it with a scale of fresh orchard apples.  Now... where is the hot cider?

This month an entire crew of creatives participated in the 10 minute decorating challenge and you can find all of their projects linked below.  Enjoy and happy decorating!


Quick-Pumpkin-Idea


Simple-Fall-Decorating


Easy-Pumpkin-Idea


Easy-Fall-Art-Idea


Easy-Fall-Pumpkin-Display





And we also want for YOU to join in with us!  Just share your projects with us via instagram using the hashtag #10minutedecorating and we will all be checking in to see what you talented blog readers are up to!

29 comments:

  1. So simple but looks great! I'd hang it on my wall.
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea ! Such a wondeful 10 minutes challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I can't tell you how much I love this idea!! Genius and SO pretty! :)

    xo Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. Simple, easy and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! This is my kind of fall craft because it seems so easy. I think it looks very chic and related to the season without looking cheap! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea!!! I have a bunch of fake leaves just waiting to be used for something. I love those wooden frames! Do you remember where they are from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber! I purchased the frames from Target last year, they are part of the Threshold line. Happy I stocked up on them because they really do lend a warm feeling to any space.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  7. How clever! I love anything gold and these are simply fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute and easy DIY! I can't wait to try this one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to try this RIGHT NOW! great idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea and your vase is so pretty! You go with your amazing self!

    Happy day to you friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, what a beautiful project! I love the leaves of gold...Isn't that a song?!! The quotes are such a wonderful touch...love that too

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so simple and so fun! I love having outlines of items and displaying those outlines. I am so excited to try something like this for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving how quick and easy this project is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable. I love the idea of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea -- love the gold highlights in your hair, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if gold liquid guild paint would work the same as the rub

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I might just have to try this cute update. I really like the frames as well, where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I purchased the frames from Target last year, they are part of the Threshold line.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  18. Hi Jen! Kind of an unrelated question but love the drapes in your dining space! Wondering where you got them and if they are still available. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky!

      The drapes were sewn from Premier Prints fabric. You can snag all of the details in this post here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2014/03/hooked-on-navy.html

      xoxo!

      Delete
  19. Love the frames! As others asked, where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girl I love these! They are so simple, but give a lot of bright impact!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fabulous! I'm pinning this because it's amazing...
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! Plum is an awesome color!! Maybe we'll see it in next year's iheart planner??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow those are ADORABLE!! And seem simple enough for even the most challenged DIYers like me! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.