Tuesday, January 28, 2014

70 A Little Glitz & Glam in the Hallway

I am such a fan of statement hallways.  Hallways with bold stripes, amazing gallery walls and fabulous lighting.  Our hallway takes us to the upper level bedrooms and the main bathroom, and it is traveled quite a bit throughout the day.  And it is far from a statement anything.  The last peek you snagged at our hallway was when we decided to bring some beautiful stripes into our dining area.


The hallway had received a fresh coat of paint (Glidden's Smooth Stone), which is the same color that is seen within the stripes and will ultimately be on all of our main walls in our upper level.  That was a huge start to a few updates I am wanting to make.  It always amazes me what a simple coat of paint can do. 

But do you see what I see?  Those lights....?  Those are 12+ years of gettin' things done lights, but not anything all that pretty to look at.


For the past couple of years I have been on the hunt for some sort of fun statement solution that wouldn't break our bank or hang too low.  I kept finding myself coming back to these beautiful capiz shell options.  My tummy would get first-kiss butterflies every time I would set my eyes on one of the pretty pendants, and then it would get that deep aching pain of rejection every time I would set my eyes on the prices. 

( 1 / 2 / 3 )
 

Last August I spotted some similar style capiz shell candle lanterns on Joss & Main.  I have since also seen them for even less at HomeGoods.


I couldn't help but cross my fingers that we would be able to somehow take these candle holders and use them for our hallway pendants.  I triple checked the size and couldn't help but notice the striking resemblance to the inspiration versions, so I took the risk and ordered.  I figured that in a worst-case scenario, these beauties could be hung on our front porch during summer months should this not go as planned.  That is not a bad worst-case to be in.  When we finally received the lanterns, they were just as beautiful as I had hoped.

And then they sat.  Sat in the storage room waiting to be installed.  And then we started cleaning out said storage room and found them and remembered that we needed to get on it already.  And then Christmas came....

If we would have known how simple this project would be, I am guessing it wouldn't have taken us so long.  It was crazy easy, which makes for a really happy hubby.

Because the original fixture couldn't be retrofitted to work with the candle holders, my Mr. started out by installing new ceiling fixtures that fit the opening of the holder much better.  We found these ceiling mount light kits from Home Depot, and once I got them home I dug through my spray paint collection and gave them a quick coat of brushed nickel.  The original white finish wasn't jiving with the capiz shell structure.  

Bryan has always been the one to change out our light fixtures, so this was really straight forward for him.  However, if you are a newbie, you can find many tutorials online similar to this one here.

After the light kits were installed, it was time to attach the candle holder.  We started by using a wire cutter to snip out the actual tea-light holder portion from the bottom. 


This left a nice opening for light to shine down through the bottom of the fixture.  The top of the lantern had small loops for hanging.  We just used some picture hanging wire to loop through the candle holder and the small holes in the side of the ceiling fixture.


Once the wire was wrapped tight and secured, that was snipped down as well.


The bottom of the holder has an opening wide enough that I can just stick my hand inside to change the light-bulb without the need to remove the fixture entirely.


Candle holders as light fixtures.  Who knew?  We are smitten!


Last year I had found some $1 square unfinished wooden frames from Michaels.  I thought they would make for a fabulous Instagram gallery wall.  So, a few coats of paint and some gold gilded label holders later...


Super happy and cute and they make me smile every day, but something is still lacking as they just are not substantial enough.  The hallway is calling for a chunkier gallery wall install, so I have been building up frames and prints for that, and I am hoping to sprinkle these smaller frames in with the updated mix. 


The style of light definitely is not for everyone, but we are crushing over this quick and easy upgrade.  And knowing that we saved hundreds over the inspiration options, well, you know how that feeling goes.  The belly butterflies are back!  It is the perfect way to kick off our quest to add a little pizazz to the hallway.

How do you make your hallways a statement area in your home?  Have your been turning any odd items into lighting pieces?


70 comments:

  1. Love the updates Jen!!! I can't wait to see what you do with the new gallery wall. I need some inspiration because my hallway is ugly!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love it all!!!! The stripes, the photo gallery and the lights!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something it telling me that you should paint the edges of those frames BRIGHT PINK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to do that! But... not sure the boys would dig it considering their bedroom's are right next to the frames. I do have a little bit of color in mind for the hallway though... :)

      xo!

      Delete
  4. Omgeee Jen! It's just all so wonderful and pretty! Where did you find the gold label holders that you put on the frames?! What a great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them at Joann, they are in the scrapbook section and come in a pack of 5 I believe. I just used some liquid gold leaf on them to dress them up a bit.

      xo!

      Delete
  5. Just beautiful! I love those lights and agree with you that a more substantial gallery wall is needed. Although, I love the Instagram photo wall. Such a cute idea. (Don't even get me started on the love I'm feeling for that rug!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful Jen!!! I'm also LOVING your gallery wall with the IG pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I love the little frames that you painted. I have a very similar navy and white striped rug in my hallway. I just bought mine a few days ago and love how it looks. And those lights....they are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome opossum! You must read my mind! The hallway has been on my list of things to spruce up. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you find that rug?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Dash & Albert runner. We have had it since last summer and love the durability!

      xo!

      Delete
  10. Jen, I love my family very dearly, but can I come live with your family and be your daughter?! I seem to be the only one in my family with the organizing gene... living in your house would be heaven! Surely one more teenage kiddo couldn't hurt, could it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so darling! The more kids the better I say, but not sure your mom would approve. I have a feeling you and your organizing genes would be missed ;)

      xo!

      Delete
  11. Wow, great updates. I love the instagram photo wall you made the most... so personal and custom looking!

    - Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the light fixtures and how they jazz up the hallway. Do they make a lovely shadow pattern at night when they are lit? cool instagram idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! They are pretty bright, so the effect is nice and subtle, but it still looks pretty! <3

      Delete
  13. Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the candle holders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan,

      I found them last year on Joss & Main, but I have since seen them pop up from time to time at HomeGoods, Marshalls & TJ Maxx.

      xo!

      Delete
  14. Those light fixtures are to die for! What great statement pieces! Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jen, I have been following your blog for quiet some time now. All your updates are amazing and fabulous. Thank you for all the inspiration.
    - Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is your opinion on Indoor/Outdoor rugs in the home? I have never had one, and not sure if it will be soft enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them in higher traffic areas. I am a huge fan of Dash & Albert and they seem to clean up nicely. Some definitely are not as soft as others, and for cozy living spaces and bedrooms I tend to prefer softer indoor options.

      xo!

      Delete
  17. lindo tu hogar y acogedor , bonita lampara , http://amorporlovintag.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jen, As far as your hallway gallery wall, have you thought about the knock off Pottery Barn ledges. Anna White has a tutorial to make them for $10. I think your hallway is wide enough to accommodate. And, BTW, gorgeous fixtures. You guys are so crafty and adventuresome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those ledges, however, the hallway tends to become a playing ground for the boys at times {running through playing hide & seek, brotherly wrestling matches, etc...} I fear that anything sticking out too far would cause a risk for injury.

      xo!

      Delete
  19. Very creative! Love that you were able to use candle holders!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always see those frames at Michaels & absolutely love what you did with them! I'm thinking I will be heading to the craft store soon! Love the light fixtures too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the stripes and i just LOVE the instagram wall! what a fabulous idea!!! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had to laugh because I went through the same thing over Christmas-- I ended up beading my own shade: http://prairieblueshed.blogspot.com
    Love the picture frames!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Now that is impressive! Way to go, it turned out beautiful!

      Delete
  23. I really love the lighting choice. Unique and they really give a little pop! I'm excited to see the new wall gallery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely LOVE the picture frames in the hallway!! Thanks for sharing :)

    XOXO
    Ashley
    www.burlapandbubbles.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never comment but I always read and I love your block and all the organization tips.
    Love the Instagram gallery wall

    ReplyDelete
  26. The light fixtures look incredible! This post is just the encouragement I needed to get started on a new pendant for our breakfast nook. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE! I have been eyeing those same type of lights for our entryway!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So pretty! Love the fun and whimsy they add. I'm a fan of the capiz lights too :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. THE LIGHTS THOUGH!!!! I love love the wall, the paint, the frames, the rug, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS ROOM!!! Fabulous update Jen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. beautiful! what a fantastic transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I see some blue missing in that hallway. Instead of painting the edges of the frames pink (which would be so stinkin' cute!!!), could you paint them the same blue that you used for the shelves in the bathroom re-do? It would give that pop of color. The other thing is to paint the wall that she gallery is on a darker color, to make the frames pop. Blue, gray, teal... Just that wall. Leave the other side white and accessorize with brighter colors on the white wall. Just a thought.

    LOVE that light fixture and it is a dead-ringer for the #3 inspiration fixture. Well done, Mr. Hubs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips and ideas! I am excited to see how it all will come together. :)

      Delete
  32. I love the new light fixtures and the striped runner. I have a great gallery wall in my hallway, but need a new light fixture stat. This gave me the inspiration to think outside of the box. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I found a couple outside lantern lighting that I LOVED, of all places at The Habitat Re-store! I picked them up for a steal at $20/ea. Only problem was, there were meant to be "hard-wired" outdoor lanterns and we didn't have access to wire them for less than thousands in hardscaping/electrical costs. Hubby found "low voltage/landscape bulbs" the same size and tied them in to our landscape lighting. Voila! We now enjoy the lanterns every night when our backyard landscape lighting comes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I love the Habitat ReStore! Sounds like a great find! Happy you were able to make them work in your backyard space.

      xo!

      Delete
  34. You two are so clever!!! Love those covers...and that instagram wall is such a cute idea!!! Love your striped runner, too (of course) :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. The lights are awesome and I love the gray stripes!! Nice touch!
    Tiffany
    thiswholehouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is stunning!! I LOVE the stripes and the insta-frames!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a fun and creative update, love it Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice transformation! I love that gallery idea!

    ReplyDelete
  39. These look GORGEOUS Jen!
    You have covered 3 of my major loves in one post: beautiful lighting, shell texture and petal designs. So want to do this in my house

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the stripes and the lights! I need to do something to my hallway. I'm a fan of using hallways for pictures. We've only been in our new rental for about 3 months.... so slowly but surely I'm getting things done :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bravo! I love how you made your light fixtures - just love it when people think outside the box! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Found the lanterns online! Love this look and may just have to copy your idea!!
    http://www.countryporch.com/midwest-cbk/view.asp?item=MW-052907

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your hallway is gooooorgeous! I love the Instagram wall - as apartment dwellers, we have lots of those funny-sized wall spaces to fill up. I'd love to do something similar in our place. Love the lights too!

    PS: the amount of stripes in your house makes me swoon. I heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love it! We only have a small hallway in our house (that has 4 doorways pretty much back to back), so there is not much we can do. However, you inspired me to think about changing the light fixture in there. We live in the Twin Cities, but we love the cottage/coastal look (which your fixtures definitely resemble as well), so we would definitely stick with something with that vibe. I love the hallway! I also love seeing the view of the other rooms for the hallway! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Would you possibly be able to post a picture at night with them lit? I'd love to see what they look like! So pretty during the daytime!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love the transformation. It looks fantastic and like you have given the hallway so much personality. I especially love your creativity with the light fixtures, though I was curious - are there any safety concerns? I've never messed around with anything like that because I've always been nervous about such a hot bulb near something that wasn't intended to be a light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly!

      I always assess safety when making lamps or pendants from non-traditional objects. In this case, there are many fixtures on the market made from the same materials. The light bulb does not come in contact at all with the tealight holder over the top, and we are selective about the bulbs we use as well. I think it is definitely something to think through when installing any type of lighting fixture.

      xo!

      Delete
  47. I love the lights. We are currently shopping. I see a lot online but I hate the prices. Even so it makes me so nervous to buy something like that without seeing it in person. Glad yours worked out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Those lights are GORGEOUS! I love them! I need to see if my HomeGoods has some!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Stripes and those frames! So awesome Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love it! And the frugal part makes it all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love love love the lighting - so creative

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love the lights. Where did you get that striped runner rug? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Dash & Albert runner. We have had it since last summer and love the durability!

      xo!

      Delete
  53. Love this! Where did you get your IG pictures printed??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley!

      I print them online through Printstagram: http://printstagr.am/

      I have also heard that Walgreens prints Instagram photos, however, I can't speek to the quality or service because I have not tried them personally: http://photo.walgreens.com/walgreens/storepage/storePageId=Mobile

      xo!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.