Tuesday, July 16, 2013

67 A Little Desk Refresh

We recently shared that we installed a wall of cabinets and a counter in the back of my work studio.  The idea was to use the back workspace for crafting and my desk for work and home office related items.  Because the cabinets are about done, it was recently time to assess the items going into the craft area and the items that should be stored at my desk.  That meant sorting down all of my office items by type, and keeping paperwork and office supplies at the office desk, and craft supplies such as glue, punches, papers, etc... in the back setup.

This was already the way the area was functioning for the most part, but a few things got moved around.  For me, it was more of an excuse to freshen things up and finish adding some of the details I have been dreaming up for awhile now.

When I last left y'all with a desk update, I had added a bunch of my favorite Instagram prints under the plexi topper.


Overall, the desk was pretty functional, but I ultimately realized a few things as I used the space that needed a little tweaking.

Once we added a wall of cabinets in the back, all of the concealed storage I added to the Expedit bookcases flanking the desk, left the entire room feeling really closed off.  I thought I would love the concealed storage as it would provide a clean look, but it ultimately left the space a little sterile.   


The best part of being an extreme Expedit enthusiast combined with the optional door and drawer inserts, is that I could easily remove the doors and pop them into the bottom row of the Expedit in our laundry room.


I still wanted some concealed storage, however, also loved the lack of doors, so the natural woven milk crate baskets {found on clearance from Target last year}, were the perfect solution!


On the opposite side, one of my most favorite updates to the desk was the addition of a bright pink unicorn hook.  Every girl should have a pink unicorn in their space right?


OK, so probably not for everyone, but I am truly, madly, deeply in love with it, Savage Garden style.  And it is functional by holding my headphones, since I love to listen to tunes while working on late night emails.


The little blue knobs were upgraded to some pretty acrylic knobs I found at Target.  One night I was looking at them and got the weird desire to attack them with my gold Sharpie marker...


The insides of the drawers are still smiling big with their cereal box dividers holding up strong!


On the shelf above, I added a wire basket to hold all of my fabric samples.  I have fabric sample collecting tendencies, as I have big girl dreams of sewing up curtains, pillows and even picnic blankets someday...


I also created a new piece of art with some gold foil and my Silhouette craft cutter.  This space is all about inspiring words to keep me motivated in the place I work each day.  I actually used this quote on a different piece of DIY art earlier this year, however, I received the gift of some purchased Etsy prints for Mother's day, so that DIY art has since been replaced.


Speaking of motivational quotes.  Have you seen Lara Casey's website?  She has some really beautiful and brilliant quotes available to download for your desktop.  I did just that.


I moved my striped magazine files upstairs to our living room, and replaced them with herringbone ones from the See Jane Work collection.  The pattern sings to me and the color was just too perfect for the space.  Not to mention, I needed twice as many as I originally had since I have magazine collecting issues too.  What can I say?  I love me some glossy inspiration.


I also added a task lamp that I have had in our storage closet for the past year.  It was just too perfect.


Sometimes it is all of the really little details that add up to create a really happy, organized place to work.






I have been trying to do my best to mix and match metal finishes and bring in natural elements into each space, whether an entire room or a smaller nook such as this.  I am really smitten with the combination of serious storage and whimsical joy and I really look forward to sitting down and working in this space each and every day. 

What small updates are you making to your spaces, to add storage or make them special, unique and simply YOU?  Anyone else attack items with a Sharpie in the middle of the night?

67 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous, Jen! It makes me wish I had my own personal desk to decorate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand why you felt a bit "closed in" by the doors/drawers. Love the addition of the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I were this organized...you'd probably have a heart attack to see my work space! LOL! Can't wait to implement some of your tricks and tips to jazz up and inspire my work space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the unicorn hook! The whole space is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything about this! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks amazing! The colours are fantastic! Im curious about the stack of papers in front of your "Create Magic" art... paint chips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The hook is from Urban Outfitters: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=28076529&parentid=SEARCH+RESULTS

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  8. Same question! Where is the hook from. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat!

      The hook is from Urban Outfitters: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=28076529&parentid=SEARCH+RESULTS

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  9. Looove the unicorn hook. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously! Do you do organizing house calls?!?! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish there was a plexi topper that would fit my desk - I'm in love with the Instagram pics under yours! And that gold dipped mason jar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I actually had the plexi cut at our local Ace Hardware home improvement store. I just brought in the measurements and they had the plexi and cut it down for me. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  12. Where did you get the turquoise basket on the open shelf to the right of the desk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa!

      I found it last year at HomeGoods.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  13. Hi Jen! maybe this is a little too "nosey", but since i do not have the gift of organization, i am wondering if you would share what you keep in all those binders, little notebooks, files and baskets? I have lots of papers but end up tossing them all in a few different piles and spend way too much time trying to find what i need. ;-)
    Also, where do you buy your washi tape? I look for it often, but only have two rolls from a scrapbooking supply store. Thanks so much, i read your blog EVERY day and get so much inspiration from you!
    xoxo amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy!

      The binders are for budgeting and keeping track of our household details and information. The expandable files keep miscellaneous blogging paperwork and the files on top of the desk are other misc. folders for different tasks that I am currently working on. The baskets hold my camera equipment and more binders. Another holds my tax papers.

      As far as Washi Tape goes, I love wishywashi.com and cutetape.com, you can also find some options at Target and oodles of colors and patterns on Etsy.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  14. Absolutely love this office nook! Great inspiration for my new office!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the photos under the desk glass x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the unicorn hook too! It's so cute! It seems like urban outfitters has really had some cute stuff lately!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Are those IG prints images that you took with your "big" camera and brought into IG? Where did you get them printed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori!

      90% of my Instagram photos are taken with my iPhone. I have imported a couple from my blog or to remember a special day, but otherwise, I use Instagram for capturing our daily moments. :) I have them printed at http://printstagr.am/

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  18. hi..

    I'm hani..

    Wahh..so organised and nice desk..
    really love white..

    ReplyDelete
  19. One day I will have a desk that beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your blog and think this space is fantastic but please don't make jokes about hoarders and hoarding, especially since you are very clearly not suffering from this disorder.

    True hoarding has a seriously negative effect on families and the individuals who suffer from this disorder shouldn't be the butt of a joke (or the subject of an exploitative television series, but that is another rant for another time).

    -Hoarder's Daughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deeply apologize if my comments have come across as offensive, I can understand where you are coming from and never intended them to hurt anyone in any way. I was simply calling attention to my own "collecting" of items that I personally need to deal with, and hoarding is to me, a definition of excessive collecting and the inability to let go. We may all experience it to different degrees. I appreciate your kind reminder that it isn't something that should be taken lightly.

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  21. I did a similar thing with the top of my daughter's art table - we had glass cut for the top (easy to clean markers, paint and glue off!) and then did a collage of scrapbook paper underneath it! So cute and easy to change up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way everything turned out. It looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That unicorn hook is perfect. In love!

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks great, Jen!! well done. and yes, i adore that pink unicorn!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i just LOVE everything you make !
    you have a miracle touch !

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am IN LOVE with your desk space. I want something similar. I'm totally using this as inspiration for our new house that we're moving to August 10th! Thank you for the gorgeous pics and organizing tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your space is unbelievably fantastic! I love the pom-pom blanket. Wherever did you find it? The color is as perfect as the blanket itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry!

      I love it too! I found it on Joss & Main last year, but I still see it pop up in the flash sales from time to time. You may also be able to find one on Wayfair.com since Wayfair is Joss & Main. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  28. I love this idea. My daughter's desk is only few years old, but has a couple really bad scratches and that makes me fell like we need to get her another one. However, since I'm in nursing school and we just must to stay on the budget for another two years, maybe we can just paint her desk and put something such as plexi topper. Do you remember show much was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena!

      It really depends on thickness and size, but the one I had cut was done for under $20.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  29. Love your blog... but I think the word you're looking for is "tendencies," not "tenancies."A tenancy is has to do with being a tenant or holding land. A tendency is a proclivity or inclination to do something... like hoard fabric samples. :) This is one of those ones that spell check won't catch, but I thought you might want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that! It was totally my mistake, I had tendencies, but it was spelled incorrectly and spell check updated it to tenancies and I missed it completely. I am pretty sure I have done that more than once with that word... oops! :)

      Thanks again!
      Jen

      Delete
  30. Fantastic as always Jen! Thanks for sharing! Is that a "Neat" desk machine? I've considered one, but want to make sure it's worth it:) What are the most useful functions it provides you?

    Have a great day and thanks again for inspiring us all each day!
    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that you changed the knobs on the cabinets in your desk area, it really makes for a more mature and fresh looking office! And I loooove the unicorn hook for your headphones, cute yet functional! Very smart designing Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love that you opened up the Expedits and added those cute baskets! I never realized that would make such a difference! And the unicorn is just too cute. (but you already knew that!) Hope you're having a great week, Miss Jen!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the headphone hook. Such a great idea! I am going to do this. I've had a horse head hook sitting in the closet—now I know what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your office looks amazing and I love that you have been able to edit and make it work for your day-to-day. I love all the personal touches and the unicorn is amaze!

    - Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love love love your tidy, cheerful and functional office! Question: where did you get the little silver lights under the shelf above your computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle!

      I found them at Home Depot in the lightbulb aisle. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  36. The pink unicorn? YES!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Where can I find that file folder hanger on the top shelf? Love it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabrina!

      I found it at seejanework.com, but I believe Target has some right now in a bunch of different colors, right in store for around $10. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  38. Where is the desk or shelves from? Did you put it all together yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hope!

      We pieced together some IKEA pieces to create the desk unit. You can find the last post with links to all parts of the process here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2012/02/basement-progress-studio-desk-part-5.html

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  39. You always come up with such wonderfully innovative ideas Jen. It is amazing what a little sprucing up can do isn’t it? Loved the gold knobs and the unicorn hook is so cool. Reading your post has suddenly made me realize that my drawer would do with a little brightening up.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This space is amazing, and helping me plan my new desk space in our new (rented :( ) space! Where are the magazine holders (light blue) from? They are above the basket on the right side...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Jen, you have a very impressive blog! And this desi is fantastic! I would love to have one similar, but I don't live in US so I can't get one exactly the same. However, I was wondering, what are the measurements of your desk and shelves? Thank you very much. xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ahah no worries, digged a little and found out what I wanted to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Jen,

    Lovely workspace! Quick question: can you tell me about your chair? I desperately need a new desk chair and I often come to your blog for ideas when I need new things, because I like your style. ;-) Anyway, where did you get the chair? Do you like it? Is it comfy? Support your back?

    Thanks for any info!

    -- Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin!

      The chair was from Pottery Barn a few years ago, but I have loved it since the day we brought it home. However, I purchased it without realizing that I would need to purchase the slipcover separately, so in the end it was a bit more expensive than I would have liked. IKEA has a similar style chair that we use at our dining table, which I also find to be fairly comfortable. Good back support as long as your desk is also at an appropriate height. :)

      xoxo!

      Delete
  45. Hello Jen,
    We loved your blog, Impressive!
    I wanted to know where can we get such cabinets (computer desk one)? We loved the whole wall cabinet piece and couldn't find any mention about it. Appreciate your help!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you! You can find a recap of the entire built-in desk process in this post here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2012/02/basement-progress-studio-desk-part-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  47. are the measurements for the desk prefabs you purchased listed anywhere? I am wanting to attempt this project for my daughters room but the IKEA website is so intimidating.… lol I am not sure what I need to buy. I printed off the list you suggested in desk part 5. Any other links I am missing? thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. What did you use to make the top crown surface besides the crown molding?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Michael,
    The top is a melamine board with the crown attached to the perimeter.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.