Friday, September 28, 2012

62 IHeart an Instadesk Update!

Some of you may have realized already, that I am a little obsessed with Instagram. Since finding the app {a little late in the game}, I have gained in so many ways.  What I love most is that I now find myself being better about capturing our special daily moments, and I am often OK leaving my DSLR for more important photos {it is still typically with me, however, it is far more convenient to snap and share via iPhone}.

Then, it happened.  My phone had taken over 1,000 photos in just a few months.  Ouch.



So, I got to wondering, what does one do with all of their Instagram photos?  Sure, I love that they are stored on the Instagram app and that I can look back and see our summer in a snapshot, it's like a super quick 2012 version of a family blog, so easy.  But since I had been snapping so many special moments, I wanted to do more.  

So, welcome to my Insta weekend.  Today I am sharing one project I did with my Instagram photos, and this weekend I am having a super amazing Insta giveaway that you absolutely will not want to miss.  Hoorah!

Because of this project, you may start to notice me being obnoxiously over-cheerful as I blog on a daily basis so my apologies in advance.

You may recall that at the end of last year we began building my studio desk.  Then, at the beginning of this year, we finally finished it!  The one thing that I loved most about our plan, aside from the massive amounts of both open and concealed storage, was the fact that I could play around with the desk top design.  Adding a piece of plexi to the top of an old bi-fold door, gave me the option to use decorative papers and fabrics as the backdrop to my mouse and keyboard.  When we first finished the desk and revealed it, we had this:


I kept it simple and neutral at the beginning, but then found some dreamy fabric on Joss & Main and made a happy upgrade {I also found myself disappointed with the comfort of the gray chair so I sent that up to Preston's bedroom}.


So for the last six months my daily bloggy home looked like this:


Not bad eh?  Yeah, I am smitten.  But the whole reason for installing the desk the way we did, was to be able to swap things out when I get bored.  And bored I got.

Then, I remembered I had seen somewhere that you could actually get all those Instagram photos printed.  So I googled around and found a few options, however, none were very easy or straight forward, so I ended up selecting Printstagram.  It seemed as though some of the other options required printing to specific photo lab locations that were nowhere near me, and with the Printstagram site I was able to have my order mailed directly to my home.  Done.

I thought the prints were a smidge pricey but since it was all I could seem to find, I selected only my most favorite shots and clicked the "buy" button.  Once I got them in the mail, I was beyond happy with the quality {no, they are not paying me to say that, they have no clue who I am}.  The photos were printed on premium heavy duty matte photo paper and had a beautiful white boarder.  


By now, I am sure you know where I am going with this, so I thought I would show how incredibly simple it is to make the quick switch.

I started by clearing off my desktop.


And determining a layout for my Instagram prints.  Whew, they fit exactly perfect edge to edge of my desk top, I couldn't have planned it any better if I had tried.


I used a scrap piece of pretty wrapping paper along the back since my photos didn't fit as nicely the vertical way.  Once I had my layout figured out, I used a small rolled piece of tape on the back to secure them in place.


I taped the entire front edge, to give a good starting point, however, only a few here and there as I worked my way back, just to act as solid placeholders for the rest to follow.


Once they were all where I wanted them, I just popped the plexi back onto the desk top and used my exacto knife to cut the wrapping paper for the cord hole {it worked out nicely that I didn't need to cut the actual Instagram print}.


And two minutes later, it was done!


SO very much in love!



And that is why I love my desk.  And Instagram.  And printing Instagram pictures.  And blogging and working at this very happy place.



I have a feeling this arrangement will be around for awhile...

Anyone else obsessed with all things Instagram?  What are your favorite photo phone apps?  How are you bringing your Instagrams out of your phones and into your homes?


Don't forget, a huge Insta giveaway is coming your way this weekend and it will be a quickie that will be worth checking out if you love Instagram as much as I do!  I am geeky excited about it!


62 comments:

  1. Great way using your pictures. :) Also, if you want your Instagram photos as a book, Blurb has a photobook tool with which you can make them into a Instagram book. Also absolutely wonderful thing to have about when you have lots of Instagram photos you want to save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, yes, this is so true, stay tuned for tomorrow ;)

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  2. I love your blog and all your organizing ideas! :)

    Just wanted to mention to check out Persnickety Prints. They are awesome! You can print Instagram prints in 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4 and it's great quality for a really affordable price (they tier the pricing, so the more you order, the cheaper it is). You can also print photo books.

    Anyway, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am OBSESSED with Instagram. I love Printstagram, it's so easy. We have them hanging on a wall with clothespins which makes it easy to swap out pictures when I am ready to order more. If I had a desk like yours I would definitely do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea! next, you should talk about your favorite picture taking apps besides instagram :) your photos are so beautiful on your IG feed, they look they are all taken with your DSLR. what a beautiful workspace :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What an amazing idea. Out of my phone. . .hadn't even gotten that far. Thanks for the inspiration. Such a happy place to work. I can just picture you there blogging away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygoooooooooosh that is epically brilliant! I need a new word, I think I call you brilliant every day. But you ARE! I love it! I'm also right there with you on the major Instagram addiction! I think it's going to get even worse when I get an iPhone ;) so excited!

    Have a great weekend love!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea!! I use postal pics. Similar in price and shipping, but not as many size options. The app makes ordering simple! I just made an Instagram banner for my daughter's bday. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Anonymous' comment I use postal pix--I've had several friends complain about printstagram which I had never even heard of since I was always using PostalPix...free app on your phone order the pics right from your phone!

      Delete
  8. What a great idea!!! we have a desk with plexi and this is going to be my next project!!! :)

    Jenna
    Just Diving In

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful idea an so creative, beautiful looks like something out of a magazine = LOVE it!
    www.yourcharmedlifeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks awesome, Jen! I've seen people have their Instagram photos printed into a book, but I like how you're able to display these on your desk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh! it's you I got the plexiglass desktop idea from! I had a piece of perspex custom-cut to fit the top of my Expedit desk, but I couldn't remember where I'd stolen the idea from!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fabulous!
    ~FringeGirl

    thedomesticfringe.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't tried intsagram (yet) but I started pinning late so there is still time for me....

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your desk! I've had glass on my desk top for years and at one time had stuff slid in the front edge but fabric? Wrapping paper? Photos over all of it? Wow! Now I'm a little sad I may be changing desks and will lose the glass.

    off to rethink that idea....

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an awesome idea!! I love how you have your desk set up and how easy it is to change the look. Putting pictures under the plexiglass is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Instagram. This is what I have done with some of the photos that I have taken.

    http://doubletheblessings-amyh.blogspot.com/2012/09/ung-drill-frame.html

    I love your idea with the desk as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks amazing! I've been thinking about doing something similar with our fridge... hmmm... the wheels are turnin'... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love instagram! i haven't yet "brought it in to my home", as you said, but this post in inspiring. my husband has never been into taking pictures because he is legally blind, but ever since instagram he has become quite snappy! i love it because he is a touring musician and it's nice to see his world when he is away from home :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all the info. I wanted to do the same as you print my pictures out. Love your bolg I just found it though Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I was only just thinking about where I could get all of my Instagram pics printed this morning then came across your blog while adding pics to mine :-) Fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had NO idea you could get the photos printed!! thank you for this timely blog post!
    Are you worried about the photos sticking to the plexiglass and getting ruined when you want to change them out? Do you spacers so this doesn't happen? I live in New Orleans so I'm always thinking about humidity issues.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE instagram!! I print my photos off regularly and display in our lounge, we have picture rails in all rooms and I place above & below. I have also used Printsgram - a service where you can put together an A3, and other, size poster using your instagram prints. It's a free service and saved as a PDF so you can go to your local printers and have them printed on whichever paper you like:) @brandisnaps

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the shutterfly app on my phone and it will "ask" me if I want to add new photos from my phone-including Instagram! I love keeping all of my pics from camera to iPhone in one place. It's easy to order prints, photo books and many other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wanted to print off some 6x6 photos the other day - I found that Ritz Camera will do that size (and 5x5). Great price as well, and delivered to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks so cute! I'm crazy about IG, too...it's pretty much the only social medium I use anymore. Love how they print in squares! Thanks for the link of where to get them done, and bet your boots I'll be back for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your home office, it's so well organized and you have successfully added beautiful details (like the pictures). The spaces your work in/live in have such a strong effect on how you operate.. It's very important to keep your 'work' areas organized and clutter-free in order to work effectively. Very wll done! :)

    - Vee
    http://www.theavenuevee.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I used postrgram to make a collage poster for my husbands office. They take all of your IG pics and the collage forms one large picture (you tell them which one). His is a sweet pic of he and our oldest walking hand in hand in the evening light. Everyone that goes into his office loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked it out and it looks like such a fun and awesome way to use your Instagram photos. Darling idea!!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  27. i see on your desk your phone is stiing on a book is that a planner? or phone book? it looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a pretty notebook that I jot down notes in. :)

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  28. Your desk setup looks amazing! I like how you thought of being able to switch out the look of your desktop. Along with Instagram, Aviary has a new photo app for the Iphone that's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. jealous of your beautiful space! I agree that a lot of the instagram printing sites are way too expensive :( Hopefully someone like snapfish or winkflash will get in the game soon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the great idea! I thik my kids will love this idea too- for their table!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My cell is just a phone and texts--prepaid. Simple, no photos (2 cameras), no apps! I love what you did with your desk. A clever way to put photos right where you can see and appreciate them, then change periodically.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now THAT is an awesome idea. I have tons of pictures of my grandchildren, dogs, kids, husband you name it and just last night I was moaning that I need more wall and counter space for them all. What a super idea to put them on my desk under plexiglass. And I can change them out as the kiddos grow. Thanks!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't "DO" the iPhone thing. I understand instagram is available on Google-Play, but haven't figured it out yet. Your new desktop looks great - even, as others have said, you don't need a fancy phone to do fun things with your pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure, you can absolutely do so many things with all kinds of photos. I just have been addicted to this particular option and I know many of my readers are having fun with it too so I decided to share. You could do this with any photos taken in any way :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  34. I LOVE your blog. I became a fan a few months back and have since read each and every post since you started. So much inspiration to be found on here. I was recently introduced to a photo app called ArtKive. It is picture taking and organizing at its best. You take pictures of your kids artwork, it arranges it by child, age and date. After you have taken enough pictures it will have an option to print a book of the artwork. BRILLIANT if you ask me. I have for some time wanted to take pictures of all the kiddos art and print a book but getting out the camera and doing so never happened. However, my phone is always around and taking pictures of all the artwork especially those pieces that you just can't keep is so easy now.

    Thanks for all your inspiration. I look forward to reading the emails daily.

    Sincerely,
    Sommer Mullins
    sommermullinsrn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Sommer -- I am LOVING Artkive. We have four kids fairly close in age, and Artkive allows me to forever capture their never-ending and always treasured art/papers that they bring home from school WITHOUT cluttering up my house! It is MUCH easier than taking pictures with my DSLR (which seems silly, but is true -- do what works, right?!) I can't wait to make their books out of the artkive pictures!

      Delete
    2. That sounds brilliant and so much simpler than taking it with my DSLR and hoarding the photos on my external harddrive. Thanks for the tip!!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  35. This is GORGEOUS! And you rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a happy, inspiring workspace Jen - awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. That's a great idea. I love photos, so that would be something that's totally me. I'm following you on instagram now.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Where are you going to keep your monthly calendar while your pictures are on your desk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I am using it as a bookmark when I work on blog ideas, but I may just add a clip to the side of the cubby...

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  39. I'm sure it took some time to get them perfectly aligned, but man, it looks awesome!!! I love it!!!

    Vera :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this blog! I look forward to all of your ideas! And I, too, LOVE Instagram! There is a website called StickyGram where you can get your Instagram photos made into magnets! I haven't tried it yet but it's one of those things I keep meaning to look into. I think it's such a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous and such a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such a great idea! I, too, am obsessed with Instagram (@meaganchurch) and I've been wanting to print some of my pics, so thanks for the tip on Printstagram. I was thinking of printing them myself or even formatting them to larger sheets and just getting them done at Walgreens. Anyway, great desktop idea!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love this idea so much! Love Instagram too :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Where do I find plexiglass? Does it have to be special ordered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I found the plexi at our local Ace Hardware. They had a variety of thicknesses and options to select from, and offered complimentary cuts as well.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I found it at Lowe's last night and had it cut for my desk!, Thanks for the great idea! I'm going back with my scrap piece and have them cut it for the top of my night stands! WIN!

      Delete
  45. Hey, My name is Laura and I blog about tips for displaying printed Instagram photos. I have been doing lots of looking around to find unique ideas and I just want to let you know I love this idea! I love seeing the crafty ideas that people create to display their Instagram photos! thank you for the inspiration and thank you for sharing. I really hope this idea inspires people to print their Instagram photos!

    ReplyDelete
  46. SO pretty! I love love love your desk. It is super cute

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is adorable and my Ikea desk could definitely use an update as it's been scratched and dinged during a couple moves. I was wondering though, do you ever have issues with the plexiglass sliding or is it pretty good about staying in place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      Because the plexi is essentially surrounded by a wall on three sides, I have never had issues with any slipping. I am not sure if that would be true on a surface with no ledge or wall holding it in place.

      xo!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.