Monday, August 27, 2012

39 Back To School Organizing & a Link Party!

It's that time of year again.  Back. To. School.

Wow, when did that happen?

We actually have one last week before the kiddos head back, and although I have all sorts of end of summer activities planned for the kids this week, I also have oodles of organizing to do to ensure we are prepared for all things school related.

So I thought it would be fun to dedicate a few posts to "Back To School" organizing this week, and also have a super awesome link party to share all of our Back To School organizing posts in one happy place.  You in?!


To kick start the week, I am compiling all of our favorite school organizing tips and tricks into one post.  So without further ado, here are some of the things we do to ensure we have as successful of a school year as possible:

Since summer is winding down, our daily routine and schedules will be shifting.  That means, a more structured morning and bedtime routine.  Our charts have been printed and are back on the fridge to offer friendly reminders of all we need to accomplish in the A.M. and P.M.




We try to pack the kid's a lunch as frequently as possible, to be sure they are eating healthy and to save a little moolah.  Having a lunch station inside the fridge allows us to quickly snag one basket and select from all of the lunch making options in one swoop.


We do the same thing for snacks.  This way, they can grab a healthy, pre-portioned snack when they get home from school or toss one in their backpack to they have a quick bite to eat before an after school activity.


Another way we ensure a smooth start to the day, is by selecting attire in advance.  The kids and I pick out outfits on Sunday and hang them in a special spot in their closet.  Then, they can just roll out of bed and quickly get dressed in the morning.


When it comes time to get their study on, I found that giving them each their own "Study Box", really helped keep things simple and orderly.  The box is easy to pull to the table and contains everything they need to work on their homework.  We also use it to store daily papers and adore that each kiddo has their own place for all of their school information.


When the boys bring their own personal books to school, I like to toss a label inside the cover to help the book make its way back home safe and sound.


When they bring home those precious art creations, we gave each boy a place to keep them on display until the next one comes home.


And when creating those art projects at home, a simple caddy to hold their basic everyday art supplies, always comes in handy!


The rest of their art supplies are stashed away here.


When it comes to the mounds of completed schoolwork that come home on a daily basis, the piles are sorted down and only the most special and memorable items are saved and filed away in pre-labeled school folders.


And don't forget to pop over to How Does She to print off the cutest back to school photo cards so you can snag a photo of your kiddo on the first day of school.


We are working on some other projects for back to school time, that I will be sharing throughout the course of the week so stay tuned for more!



And a button for you!


Or share your back to school success stories in the comments below!


39 comments:

  1. While most people think that college is different then elementary school when it comes to food, organization, and getting ready for back to school - I think they are one in the same. I live in an apartment with my fiancee and we're both going into our third year of college.

    I actually plan on using some of the tips from above to help with OUR back to school! :)

    Check out my blog!

    collegelivignmadesimple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! If anything..staying organized through college may in fact be even more important than that of elementary school.

      Delete
  2. This is amazing. I don't how you do it. I need this for myself - especially this per-portioned snack thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your organization tips here! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. where do you get your containers for the snacks? Is it air tight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them at WalMart in the canning section (they are by Ball) after seeing the related post. The lids do screw on (and they attach to each other, in stacks, if desired).

      Delete
    2. Yeppers! They are Ball brand and have always done a great job keeping our snacks fresh.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  5. We did "Kids are the Boss" day for the last day of summer; our kids absolutely LOVED it. I got the idea from Centsational Girl: http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2012/08/bossy-kids/

    P.S. Don't forget, not everyone goes back to school (or is done with school) at the same time. Our kids went back today 8/27 (in Texas) and will be done June 5th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add about "Kids are the Boss" day that we were amazed that the 5 things they MOST wanted to do were actually pretty simple. It was fun watching them make up a list, cross things off, make a new list, etc... Our kids are 9 and 6.

      Delete
  6. Lots of great ideas! Enjoy getting ready for back to school-this is already our 4th week back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, your ideas are just great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd welcome a post on helping high school kids organize their school work and life schedule with sports, homework, a job. With the understanding that they don't even think they need to be organize or write anything down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, no high-schoolers here, but one going into middle school, so I will see what I can come up with! :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. I'm looking for that as well. Last year was horrendous...she would have been on honor roll if she was just more organized, homework lost only to find it a week later in a different folder or lost in bedroom, deadlines missed, etc.

      Delete
  9. I just love your posts, Jen, and this one is especially great. You motivate me to be better instead of making me feel guilty for what I'm not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a heart breaker! He is so cute:) Love the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. as always, love your ideas! thanks for hosting such a fun link party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to pin this right away AND send it off to my daughter who's the mom of a new Kindergartener and a 4th grader. Organization is so important even with one child, let alone two or more. Thanks for all the links. Great job.

    Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for all the great ideas!!!! I'm so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jen...you are truly a girl after my own heart. Your blog is my all time favorite and I am so excited to link-up today. I have younger kids (one in preschool and one starting his first "big boy" class so I thought I would contribute a morning routine chart that would help that age group. I have used your bedtime chart forever with my 4-year-old and countless other tips and printables you've shared over the years. Thanks for working so hard and being such an inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such great ideas! I am going to try to implement as many as possible hoping at least one or two will stick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I don't even have kids and I'm excited about back to school! (But I've always been one of those nerds that got excited by my supply list and the ensuing trip to Office Max!) Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are such clever ideas! I absolutely love the hanger tangs...i think i need to make some of these for my own closet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Portioning out the snacks is such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you thought of adding a "Pin it" or (whatever it's called ha!) button to your posts. Everytime I go to add the link to my Pinterest, it doesn't post the photo I want but like an add or something! Great reminder posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can integrate that in! :)

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  20. thanks for all the great ideas Jen! i started the pre-portioned snack plan after you posted about it ... works great :) thank you for hosting the party!
    ♥ much love

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great ideas! You really should come and see me in SC, I could use your help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh I'm soo excited to go through all the links! What a great idea for a party. Thanks for hosting Jen!! I love how you're soo organized. I a bit of an organizing freak myself. haha I find it creates less chaos when everyone knows where everything is. It makes my life easier and that is always a plus!

    Have a great day. =)

    ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, thanks for all of the amazing ideas. My son often takes personal books on the bus, so the label is a great idea I hadn't thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jen!
    Its Regina (Bean) over at Pastiche Puggle...I've never linked to a party before and can't figure out how to link my newest post to your party!! I'm at pastichepuggle.blogspot.com...help!!!!
    Thanks!!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love all these ideas! What a great way to make lunch and snack grabbing quicker. I might even try one for myself! I have the art station and love it. It has certainly saved the fridge and walls from being covered since being introduced! Those school photo cards are fantastic too - you've inspired me to print some off for all sorts of occasions.

    Thanks, Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you simply...rock! Outstanding and very inspirational. We live in such a networked-tech-overstimulated world where there is often too much information and the result is we forget the basics of organization and creative problem solving. And then people start needing Apps for even the simplest things like organizing left from right or to remind them to breathe! I'm not anti-technology, not a Luddite or anything counter-culture but I am pro-innovation, and I do respect someone who can self-organize, problem-solve with tools at hand, and builds a good foundation for children. Bravo brava bellisimo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi
    I loved this post and inspired I created something similar for the routine of my daughter and it perfectly works. Thanks for everything!
    http://caixinhadepodearroz.blogs.sapo.pt/150407.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.