Tuesday, December 20, 2011

44 Basement Progress: Studio Desk Dreaming and Drawing

The time has come.  Time to determine the ideal workspace for the studio.  Oh I am SO excited!


I am dreaming of storage.  Lots and lots of storage.  Storage for our files.  Storage for crafting projects and all of the crafting supplies.  Storage for books and magazines and fabric and paint swatches.  Storage galore!

I would also love a workspace to spread out and do my projects on.

So for me, the studio solution is to keep a table for projecting, and a desk for computing.  Combined with storage in the form of a dresser, and then going vertical around the desk.

I did some online browsing for my dreamy ideal workspace solution.

I found this one from Crate and Barrel.  It had everything on the wish list....

Chiming in at $400, there was still a lot left to be desired.  No concealed storage.  No architectural detail...

Onto something more up my ally.  Like this one from Pottery Barn...


Now this is what I am talking about!  I will take one in white please.

Wait, what?  It's $2,800+?  No problem....

OK, so my dream desk is WAY out of our budget.  Of course, it always works that way right?

So what do we do when we can't afford the perfect piece of furniture?
  • Check Craigslist obsessively. 
  • Scour thrift stores.  I could.  I really could.  But I feel I just may be searching for an eternity since I have never in my thrifting days seen something so fantastical.  Not even with my imagination.
  • Build one myself.  Well, with the help of my handy man of course!

The last option is by far the most logical for us.  Oh yes, I am dreaming of a DIY desk!

We dabble in simple DIY all of the time.  We are sort of IKEA hacking DIYer's.  Paint, nail guns, some cutting, we can do that.  We haven't really ever built anything of this scale completely from scratch, however.  And because I am the main beneficiary of this desk, I have a feeling that my motivation is far higher than my handy hubs.  So I must keep my DIY desire on the simple side, or it may never get completed!

I used my love for Microsoft Excel to draft up a quick idea of where I am heading...


Some great vertical storage flanking a workspace.  Backed with wainscoting and topped with some pretty crown molding.  Totally DIYable!

Then, I started really having fun.  I will need some concealed storage... cabinets and drawers.  And task lighting would rock as well!


Hmmmm... maybe a great chair?  Books, art and storage boxes?


Oh yes! 

Can you see it?

Just whipping up a quick rendering helped me sell it to the Mr.  I could chat about it until I am blue in the face, but he doesn't have the same ability to visualize my ideas unless I can physically give him something to look at.  And now he is in!  We are getting out the tools as we speak!

And what we build must come in far, FAR below the $2,800 version.  We are so up for the challenge!

So stay tuned!  I will be sharing play by plays as we get this huge project underway!

Have you been the beneficiary of a great DIY desk?  If so, I would love to hear your story! 



44 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Check out my desk we just built, it is a wall-to-wall desk. We still need to add the storage, but it is SO nice!

    http://hatchlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with when it's all finished, I really like what you've drawn up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?! You can do this all in Excel?! I am first amazed by that and secondly amazed with the design! The lighting would be extraordinary! I would love a space for a big, fun desk like you. Storage is key :)

    xoxo,

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so nice, hope you get it :)

    Now, could you tell me how you do that in Excel?!?!? Because I am pretty sure I need to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! I never thought you could do all that in Excel! How did you draw those storage boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I can't wait to see the finished project! If you feel you don't want to build, you can find some cool desks at Staples too, for far less than $2800.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How ironic that you posted this today! I just posted today about the desk that my husband built for me, haha. =) It's soooo much cheaper to DIY one than to buy one for sure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing you did that drawing in excel. I love excel but have never tried anything like that! I know you are busy, but if you ever want to share a tutorial on how to do it, I am sure it would be really well received. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What?! You did that in Excel?! Amazing, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect timing!! We are brainstorming desk options for our office right now. I'm seeing some Expedit towers in there...so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We didn't build from scratch...but just built a wall of greatness last night! I will be posting about it very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First let me say I just learned something new today, had no idea excel had that capability always thought it was good for reporting. Second I love that project and it looks really nice. Cannot wait to see the play by play of you guys making it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That design is awesome! When should we check back for the Excel drawing tutorial ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. *drool*

    As if you can do THAT in Excel!? Because it wasn't already an organizer's dream tool....

    Good luck with the project. Can't wait to see how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should check out Ana White at Knock Off Wood. She has the plans already drawn out and with all the materials!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE it! In fact it would go perfect in my office... can your Mr. make two while he's at it? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exciting! And way to design something that's fitting for your needs, especially a piece this important! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    PS What color are you painting the dresser? Did you decide?

    PPS See you tonight!

    -Kimberly
    www.studioblonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm Excel may be the solution to getting Husband to build Bubbles the guinea pig a bigger cage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You need to do some tutorials on excel. You make the best things with that program. I would love to purchase it but I'm unsure I would be able to do anything like this with it.... :)
    I second checking out ana-white. Her plans are great!
    Good Luck, can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I'm pretty sure you can get those bookcases at Ikea in white for 39.99. Check the Billy system, which also has door options! Love the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm dreaming of building a wall unit/desk in our little house....
    To get what I want and to come in on budget, we're using the finish yourself kitchen cabinets and building our own upper unit like that. the cut wrong counter top section at Menards had a huge piece of white that was just what I needed for $50! Voila, should be done in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How did you do that in Excel?! Please share!! And I love your plans for the storage and desk. I can't wait to see it all come together!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not sure if I'm more amazed at your new desk design or the fact that you did that in Excel! I consider myself an advanced Escel user, but I wouldn't even begin to know where to start to do that drawing.

    Can't wait to see how your plans come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We DIY'd a pottery barn table I had been loving forever but just couldn't give our money away on. We used plans from Ana White and LOVE the result. Here's the link!
    http://ana-white.com/2011/03/craft-table-build

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is pretty much my dream desk =) We're actually about to buy an entertainment center for the living room that has nearly the exact design of your DIY desk! Its from IKEA and we're going to make a little road trip over to the nearest one to see if its as amazing in person as it is in our heads! =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I SO agree regarding producing a picture to sell a project. It saves so much time and effort when describing the concept. I love the project and can't wait to see the end product. :), Susan Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  27. Agreed! This is amazing {not surprising at all} - some Excel tutorials are in order. Indeed, another job well... started! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Check out the cover of January 2012 The Family Handyman magazine. Something similar to this, with all the instructions. It is more along the line of a huge bookcase with concealed storage, but may still be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This look fabulous! I can't wait to see it completed!

    I would love to hear how much the materials cost as well as the project plans!

    I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cool! I love building projects & I'm so excited to see what you come up with! This should turn out fabulously! Love how you drew it up in excel :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gosh, I would love to learn how to use Excel like that not to mention have a wonderful desk. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW!!! Jen, that looks great. Can I put in a order too? hahaha. Can't wait to see the final piece. I'm sure it will be amazing as everything you do. :)

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  33. Did you mean PowerPoint instead of Excel? Also, you should check out IKEA, because I have that exact same layout for my current workspace :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can't wait to see the finished product! I'm sure you know about Ana White, you may find some inspiration (and plans) there, too. http://ana-white.com/category/plans/project-type/storage

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hemnes/Liatorp at Ikea will work in this combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow!!! I want a desk just like that!! I agree with all the prior posters; you soooo need to do a tutorial on how you built the desk using Excel. You never cease to amaze me. Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Have you ever considered Elfa Shelving? It's sold at the Container Store. I LOVE it and it's modular.

    ReplyDelete
  38. can't wait to see your updates on this project. your beadboard and crown mold ideas remind me of what we just did to the mudroom unit here in our new house...i just love the look of beadboard. it really dresses things up.

    http://makingittooperfect.blogspot.com/2011/12/tweaking-mudroom-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, I see a couple of people have mentioned Ana White already. I second their suggestion to check out her site - might save you some time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Storage, I believe, is possibly the most important material thing a girl can have in life. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE IT! Can I have one like that too? LOL! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  42. When I click on a link to a blog post it takes me to the BOTTOM of the post......hmmmmm....kind of getting annoying.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.