Wednesday, February 23, 2011

7 Reader Space: Nothing "Junky" about this Makeover!

It's no secret you all inspire me on a daily basis.  And as I have mentioned before, although the big "WOW" projects are great to look at and gain oodles of inspiration from, they aren't always easily achievable either due to time or budget or resources or space or a combo of the above.  That's why sometimes those smaller makeovers are just as impactful {yes, I am making up words again}, or more!  And the best part is they can be done in the matter of a couple of minutes {or an afternoon}!  Love quicky projects that make a difference! 

Today's Reader Space is also mini-challenge I am posing for everyone, including myself!  Because you get to start out with some incredible inspiration.  We all have a drawer we can find to update.  And it shouldn't take much time, I am even going to deem it a "Got 15?" since we haven't done one of those in awhile, and if you just focus on one drawer at a time, 15 minutes should be all you need!

Lindsey wrote:

Hi Jen- 

Love your blog and I know you like pictures of before/after projects!  I don't have a blog but thought I'd send along these pictures to you to share if you'd like.  I was inspired to clean out my junk drawers after reading your "got 15? post on cleaning out the nightstand)  This took longer than 15 minutes and I still have my nightstand to do but thanks {as always} for your great inspiration!!

These drawers are in my kitchen island and are a total "hot spot/catch all/dumping ground".   I was realizing how I was wasting time rummaging through the drawer and never being able to find what I needed - a pen, calculator, spare key, or a note pad!  Also had lots of coupons but of course could never find the ones I was looking for when I needed it {so losing money}.  Losing time + Losing money = something is not working!!  

Here are the before pics- gasp!



And here are the pictures after some major de-cluttering.  More room to breathe but still on a slippery slope, I knew it wouldn't be long until everything was 1 big mess again!  I took the 9 dollars in change I found hidden in that drawer and put it towards one of a few different trays I found at Target.   Personally, organization makes more sense to me in categories...and the trays helped determine how much could go in the drawers.



Much better! 



What do IHeart about this makeover?  Well, first, that she gave it a couple of tries 'til she got it just right.  That's how I personally roll all the time as well.  I switch up things around the house more than celebrities change their boyfriends.  Seriously, if it's still not helping after the first go at it, it's absolutely the right thing to re-evaluate.  It doesn't mean you failed, it means that you aren't a quitter and you are determined to simplify your life.  It's a good thing!

I also adore that Lindsey knew herself well enough to know that her drawer would be right back to where it started without some additional storage.  Well done!

And lastly, my favorite part of this story, is that she found enough moola and change by cleaning out the drawer, to fund the drawer dividers!  Now, with the dividers, her spare coins and everything else, will be right in site!

Endless THANKS to Lindsey for sharing her success story with us!  And for giving me the push I needed to tackle mine!

That's right, I am joining in on the Junk Drawer parade, and tackling my own.... here is my "Before" picture:




And a button for you....




IHeart Organizing







Next week I will reveal my "After" and share some of your success stories as well {from your link ups}!! Who's with me on this!  Who's beyond excited?!  ME ME ME!


P.S.  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and un-editted.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your routine for the better is so helpful!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

7 comments:

  1. My entire house is a junk drawer. *sigh* I live with a hoarder. I used to try to keep it some what manageable but the past few months I just don't have the energy to do it anymore. Luckily I'm moving out in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love using old bowls and take-out containers for organizing! I live in fear of junk drawers. Therefore, I do not have one. :) Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My junk drawer isn't organised, but it recently moved from an overloaded tray into an actual drawer because I now have a dresser in my living room ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny you posted this today! I was just about to toss my junk drawer out the flipping window today! First it ate my tin foil box and then it ate my cling wrap -- I had to buy a new one! The nerve!

    Thanks, as always, for making me get my act together <3 love you so freaking much!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I came across your blog, you have some great ideas. You have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE your blog! so many great ideas can't wait to start organizing our home! i gave you a little shout out on my blog... hopefully you can stop by and visit! glad to be following you and can't wait to see what's next!
    https://mypaperobsession.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/i-3-organizing/

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I LOVE your blog!!! I love the look. I love your topic. I love your posts. I'm going to be checking back frequently as I try to get my house in order. Thanks for all your advice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.