Monday, August 30, 2010

92 August Featured Space: Bedroom - Conquering Closets {part 3}

Accessories.  They create function.  They create style.  They create drama.  Whether you are spicing up a hot outfit for a night out on the town with a pair of sparkling bangles, or you are dressing up your living room coffee table with a stack of books and fresh flowers... accessories play such a HUGE role in completing the look of any space.

And I had a TON of fun using accessories and storage bins from all over my home, to completely style up my new desk space!

Giving it some major before and after drama that has had me wanting to take up permanent residence in my new workspace!


So here is the quick back story in a nutshell.  Once upon a time we created an office space for me to use for blogging, logging daycare information {as my first job} editing kid's pictures, and hopefully as a place to start up my future Home Organizing business.  That makeover was even featured on Young House Love!


Then, our basement flooded and our carpet was ripped out along with trim, doors and much of our furniture, giving us a temporary residence in our upper level.  And because our insurance said our loss was uninsured, it will be mucho months before we can refinish our lower level back to what it once was...  

Once my kiddos are down for their nightly sleeps or when I am blessed with some quiet alone time, I could spend hours working on the computer or crafting.  After losing the lower level, we did what we could to quickly consolidate all of our belongings and move to the upper level.  The only zone we were without was our work zone.

We have since been uber successful in re-creating a new place to call work home, and we couldn't heart it more.  In fact, we have decided to call it our new permanent office, even after we move back downstairs, because we just love it that much!

We first tackled the space by adding some paint and wallpaper, to give it some life and make it a place that we would enjoy working in.  As you know, I am a jumbo believer in mixing organization with beauty, because when you believe your space is lovely, you are more apt to want to keep it that way.

Then the hubs quickly tossed in a piece of MDF that got a quick coat of paint, along with a painted floating shelf and called it a desk!


And I was left with my favorite part.  Making it functional.  Making it fabulous!

I started by looking at EVERYTHING I wanted to fit in the space, and decided that between the printer and craft cart alone, I was already losing half of my space.

And where to put the printer?  It was half the size of the desk!

And I had no more budget!

No fear my friends!  I went shopping anyway!  In my own house!

I snagged bunches of paper boxes and organizers and accessories from my previous office space, and even snagged a shoe rack from our old closet.

Looking at the abundance of storage options at my fingers without having to leave my house, made me beyond excited to get the space in tip top working space in no time!

We started by tackling the printer problem.  Using a shoe rack that we shortened to fit, was the perfect solution for housing not only the printer, but also our external hard drive and a docking station for our laptop.  It also holds storage boxes and my overly used laminator!


Keeping these items tucked away under the desk, leaves us with a boatload more workspace on top of the desk!

We also added one more shelf up high, out of the remaining shelving we originally had in our closet before all of the makeover began.


Between the shoe rack down under and all of the shelving above, I was able to add oodles of labeled storage boxes to hold papers and mega amounts of craft supplies.

 

And speaking of papers.  I unloaded three drawers full of 12 x 12 papers into a pretty white lace basket I stole from our old playroom.


But back to those shelves.  Want a closer peek?
Receipts are tossed into a media box....


And electronic cords and misc. office supplies are tossed into some pretty planters...who would ever know?


And to make an accessory out of storage, I used those mason jars IHeart so much, to hold some pretty scrapbook embellishments.


 And no shelf would be called complete without some art.  And to us, it was the most beautiful art a gal could ask for....


I just tossed a picture I printed out from our recent Regent Hill photo session, and matted it in a glass clip frame {also stole from the old home office}.

Now we get to focus where all of the real magic happens.  Well, at least where the work is produced.  It also packs a lot of stolen storage!  

Like magazine bins used to hold stationary and address books and planners...


To spice tins to hold more of the mini-scrap-booking embellishments....


Although the tins have pretty paper in the fronts, and still require some labeling, they are quite perfect for those little things!


As you may have noticed, the storage I snagged from around the house definitely didn't stop there.  I also re-used my fav pencil cup storage for art supplies.


And threw some cork in an old photo frame to create a new memo board!


About a gazillion years ago I snagged a swing arm lamp for our guest bedroom next to the bed... it has been in a box for that gazillion years waiting to be installed.  Lucky me, because task lighting is so important when you are working, it got installed in my new workspace instead!


And what you may be wondering about all of this fantastical glam desk space.... where are all those cords?


When we are running cordless.... I have a tray with some desk accessories....


But when it's time to plug in.... the tray is scooted aside, and a little hole is exposed....


That cord comes from a docking station which also connects all of our other electronics {printer, external hard drive, etc...}. 


Everything is currently powered by an outlet just outside the closet, however, for only a couple bucks we picked up some electrical materials to install an outlet inside the closet to permanently hide all cords for good!  

So when you put ALL of that stolen storage together, you get a little of this!


And this.....


And a big ol' smile plastered across this face!!

It feels SO good to be done with THAT!

Speaking of done, no blog post is complete without some final before and after pictures.

Here is a side by side of what the closet looked like when we moved into the room, and what it looks like today, a couple weeks later!


It really resembles our previous office space, I guess that's what you get when you reuse everything!


It also made me realize the main things IHeart about any work space:
  • Wallpaper {Make it Pretty!}
  • Accessory Storage
  • Family Pictures
  • Paper/Stationary Storage
  • Memo Board
Now for our favorite part!  Enjoying it all each and every day!

Who else out there is working out of an itty bitty closet space?  Do you just love that it's all tucked away?  What is the most important storage piece that you use in your office space?  How about your favorite functioning room accessory?  I would heart to know!!


P.S.  Make sure to check out how I have updated the space to be easily concealed! {Not that I ever would want to hide it, I just heart it so much!}

92 comments:

  1. Jen, i love what you've done with the space, and love how positive you've stayed as your family has had to make these adjustments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those wall-mounted magazine racks. Where did you get those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some that were close! http://www.amazon.com/Design-Ideas-Vinea-Magnetic-White/dp/B003ISUGL4/ref=pd_sim_hg_2

      Delete
  3. The closet/office looks ah.mazing! I love it! I like your stationery, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such an awesome job! I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing I love it more than your last office!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looks good! You inspire me to give my TV hutch a makeover so it works as an office/ craft space seeing that we never watch TV. Thanks for sharing your beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I love everything about it especially the pictures you chose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those magazine bins!! I've been looking for something just like that. Do you remember where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just fantastic! I love the colors and pattern on the back walls of your new space. So glad you were able to find a space that works.... and that you love :)

    ~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this new office space didn't get featured somewhere!! So many of us have small spaces that could turn into great work spaces!! I am amazed at what you have been able to do after such a disaster. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely - I'm so impressed at your creative storage options.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks SO much everyone! We are so excited with how it turned out!

    For those inquiring, I snagged those magazine bins at the beginning of the year at Target... and shucks, I haven't seen them there since. And I have used them for ALL sorts of things, they are by far the most versatile storage container I have found to date. I will make sure to update everyone if I ever find anything similar!

    Thanks!!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen..it's all genius! Fantastic job!!! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice space! LOVE that wallpapered closet....I soooo need to do the same. Thanks for sharing. (Found you through the Censational Girl blog party.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The new office space looks so great and cozy. You are so talented and creative to have thought of doing that. Keep the ideas coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very stylish... You made lemonade out of lemons! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so creative! I Just love those flowers you have in the cork board. Can you share how you made/acquired them?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so upsetting about the flood and losing your gorgeous work area. But you definitely made the most of that closet! It looks amazing! Thanks (as always) for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beyond impressed here in Texas. ♥ Your new blog crush ~ Terrah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful space i love everything about it. You are one creative mama this is very inspirational thank you so much for sharing.

    I love the flowers too where did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow you are doing more than making lemonaid, it's more like a margarita. WTG Jen. Now we know you are a genius since you can create beauty out of yuck (muck, mud, and stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your new space is terrific! My space is also in a closet, but it doesn't look anything like yours. You've inspired me to work on mine.
    Again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE every single little detail of this inspiration PACKED space! I am in LUST with that wallpaper. THis Space ROCKS IT! I'm loving this party and seeing everyone's slice of life. ...newest follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great! A pretty and functional little office nook. Awesome job! I love the cork picture frame, too, btw. ;)

    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did you paint the side wall w/magnetic paint? I can't tell how those canisters are secured. If so, I'm curious about your magnetic paint experience.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi DemMom!

    I actually used a magnetic strip to hold the canisters: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00136621

    Hope that helps, I have been wanting to use some magnetic paint somewhere, just haven't done it quite yet...

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job Jen! Very inspirational in many ways. I love the photo of your boys - did you make that? Would love to see how. I have several glass clip frames that I've been at a loss as to how to use... Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear melarse,

    I did throw together the framed picture. I used a photograph from a recent family photo-session, that I printed out in black & white using photo paper and our printer. I then matted it onto a piece of scrapbook paper, centered towards the top. From there I just printed out their names onto cardstock, that I also attached below their picture and tossed it into the frame! It took about 5 minutes and I love the end result!

    Thanks, I hope that helps!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it! You should submit to YHL again with the story of what happened and how you turned lemon into lemonade :))))

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's lovely. I have my office in a closet, that I wallpapered, as well. Although I must say, my office is not quite as organized as yours. I love the wallpaper you used.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your office space is so amazing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! I love it! When can you come over to my house? =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow it is amazing!!! I love it :)
    Where did you get the wallpaper and the flowers??? I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love me a re-purposed closet! Sorry, to hear about your lower level. But, way to find an option to make due in the meantime. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely LOVE your new work space....it's so cute and functional! Where did you get that awesome chair?! That's what I need in my office, but haven't seen one in stores!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Tiffany!

    The chair was from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20115038

    It's amazing, I am not gonna lie!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello Anonymous!

    The wallpaper was from HomeDepot.com {http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xit/R-100629290/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053}

    and the flowers were an amazon.com find awhile back, LOVE THEM! {http://www.amazon.com/Umbra-Set-25-Wallflowers-White/dp/B0015TI1RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1283465141&sr=8-1}

    Thanks!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jen, this is the most gorgeous closet office space ! I loved reading the story, so beautiful! I adore that wallpaper. Thanks so much for linking up this week!
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow! this is beautiful! i especially love the pencil cups -- so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is a gorgeous closet office space! I love that you added wallpaper and coordinated the storage / accessories! So glad I found your blog... love organizing pretty spaces too.
    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is serious Fabulousness!!!! New follower. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I absolutely love this space! You've inspired me to try something for myself, too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi there... am *lovin'* this blog of yours! I am a recent new reader from across the seas. I'm wondering, I can't find it stated anywhere - can you please give the dimensions of your closet? I'm particularly interested in the width (even of the doorway) and the depth (ie from the front wall to the back wall). I'm wondering how it would work in the kids' rooms and just want to confirm I have 'enough' space to undertake something like this in each. Thanks so much for your time!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Anonymous!

    The opening/door is 36" {3 ft}

    The depth is 24" {2 ft}

    The inside width is 52" {just over 4 ft}

    We are also doing something similar in our son's room, and I have seen similar ideas executed in even smaller spaces, so I say, go for it! :) It's all about maximizing the vertical and wall space when it comes to getting the biggest bang for storage in the teeny tiny spaces!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  45. I may have to do something similar in my son's room. He just doesn't have the space for a desk but he has a large closet with the sliding doors. My thought is why can't he just use one side for hanging stuff and the other for a desk. I'll to show the ideas to my dh and mil (she's my helpful organizer.)

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is really pretty..I love that lacey basket..so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, talk about something from nothing. My office is a crime scene but reading this makes me realise i could do a whole lot with a little, so thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am about to redo a small area as a craft room...and I think the clear chair would be perfect...where did you get it from?
    Your blog has made me SUPER excited to re-organize so many areas in my house...it's just going to be a struggle to get my husbands AOK...he would never let me near his garage :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Heather!

    Here is the link to the chair: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20115038

    And I am SO excited about your enthusiasm for organizing! :)

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  50. love love adore and love this cute little closet! your ideas and design r great! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I absolutely LOVE what you've done here. I am sooooo inspired by this post and by YOU! So much that even blogged about you on my own "home tour" page!

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is so cute! I want to make one in my own house one day!

    ReplyDelete
  53. My brother-in-law is an illustrator, and he's moving in with us this summer; we're hoping to transform our guest room closet as well. I'm dying to know where you got your shelving and desk for your ultra-cute-closet-turned-workspace. Thanks, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Steph!

    Here is a link to the installation process of the desk {it's just a ledge with an MDF top}.

    http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2010/08/august-featured-space-bedroom_26.html

    And the shelf is a LACK shelf from Ikea.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20159107


    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  55. That. Is. A...Mazing! I'm so inspired!
    With house renovations underway I am currently planning for what will be a home office in a cupboard (or closet for some of you) and this has given me loads of ideas. Any chance you can tell me where you got the magazine holders from? I love the mid-century pattern and recently used it as a stencil for a doormat!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I was doing a search for closet turn office and ran accross your blog! This is fabulous!
    So many great ideas I hope to incorporate! If it is ok with you I would love to post some of your pictures on a post as inspiration with a link back.
    Thanks again
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  57. new to your blog & stumbled upon this post today. i'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel so my husband would KILL me if i jumped ship & started on our office. but that is my next zone (i call it our red zone cuz it's so dangerous). anywho, like a few other people i LOVED the wall-mounted magazine bins. i did find something similar to them at the Container Store: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/paperStorage/sorters?productId=10029554&N=74540
    hope this helps others out & thanks for the oodles of inspiration from this one post!

    ReplyDelete
  58. This is a beautiful, inspiring, near genious closet office. Thank you for this post.

    Blessings, Renee
    Http://Renee-joyjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi, could you let us know how you hung those curtains? Is it a rod right at the top of the moulding/frame, or is the rod hung inside the closet? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  60. @Julie!

    I just used a cheapo tension rod from Target and tucked it up behind the trim. So far so good!! :)

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  61. Just moved into a home and I have the perfect closet to work with for this project! Our "office" will double as a guest bedroom that our niece will stay in periodically. I love the idea of being able to shut the door and not have to worry about things getting bumped. I see you took the door off the closet for your arrangement but I plan to leave ours there. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  62. I LOVE this idea and am going to try and tackle this in my closet... but i was wondering where you got the chair that you used! i loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  63. @Hannah:

    The chair is from Ikea, here is the link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20115038

    Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  64. I love this closet space and the colors used! Can you tell me where you got your blue mouse pad? I adore that color!

    ReplyDelete
  65. @Anonymous: I found the mouse pad eons ago at Target!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  66. I am currently turning a closet sized area into a craft room. I have those 12x12 boxes for storage (I've placed them 2 high) and I need to table top for my work space. I read that your desk top is just MDF that you painted. Is that all? Did you have to sand it? Did you do anything special because the pictures make the table top look so smooth...I just don't want my fabrics getting snagged when I sew. My last question is how did you attach it to the wall?
    I just love your blog...thanks so much for your time in helping us all out!!!

    XOXO, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  67. @Heather,

    We actually sanded down the edge and you will probably want to put a protective coating on the top as we find our laptop sometimes sticks to the paint, which I am guessing a sewing machine would also do, or worse. Otherwise, we just used a paint/primer in one to go over the MDF. We attached the top by screwing supports into the wall all around under the top and just setting the top in, here is the post: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2010/08/august-featured-space-bedroom_26.html


    Thanks!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  68. Thanks for the fantastic office/creative space idea! I just pinned this on Pinterest and included you on my latest blog aout getting organized - stop by and say hello! http://momommamoney.blogspot.com/2011/06/truthful-tuesday-get-organized.html

    ReplyDelete
  69. Jen, thanks a million times over for your fabulous blog!! I heart your organization skills and ideas... you are amazing!!! You have given me such great solutions and inspiration to tackle my home projects!! I do have a question for you, do you remember where you found your magnetic spice tins and your pencil cup storage? I'm assuming the bar you hung the storage cups on is a regular towel rod... is that correct?

    Thanks!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  70. @Leslie - the spice tins and pencil cup storage can all be found at Ikea, the spice tins are here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102919

    The rod for the pencil cups is here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50072645, the hooks are here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80072644, and the cups are here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70105659

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  71. FAB-U-LOUS job!!! We've just enclosed a former wet bar and made it an office nook...I've been pinning inspiration pics and just realized half of them were of your space! I'm bookmarking this for when I'm ready to make the space functional!

    ReplyDelete
  72. I love seeing closets transofrmed but with storage space at a premium I don't know where I would put all of the clothes and things that would be displaced.

    Your pics are truly inspirational and if I ever figure out the storage issue I will try one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love your space! I especially adore your magazine files! Would ypu share where you got them? please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them quite awhile ago at Target and have yet to see anything that size again anywhere. You may be able to find something similar at The Container Store or Organize.com

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  74. Excellent job! You just have to make sure that important documents for work are separated from your mini scrapbooking stuff. This way, you'll know where to look for your documents if ever you'll need them.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Did you use a special paint for the desktop? The previous owners of our home turned the closet of our guest room into a desk area, as well, and we love it. I would love to spruce it up using some of your ideas, starting with painting the shelving and desk, which is currently oak. Wondering if the grain will show through the paint, especially if we use white or off-white?

    Love your web site!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia!

      We didn't use any special paint, just a paint/primer combo paint to cut down on the number of coats/steps. We just painted MDF, so there were no grains, but I have also painted oak cabinets in the past and that does show minor grain, even after a few coats of paint. It is fairly minimal however, and I really don't notice it, but it is there.

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
  76. I was wondering if anyone has extra of the hanging pencil holders. They are not available at ikea anymore and i would love to get some. Email me at kelliwessels@aol.com thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  77. hey jen, love the blog and the great tips you have to offer. This area you have created is so beautiful and useful! Just wondering where you got you lace baskets that have note books in them? Also the one silmilar under the desk? How can I follow you? Kinda new to the whole blogging thing and was not able to find that on your blog. LOL

    Thanks Rachael D

    ReplyDelete
  78. Can you tell me how you hung the bins on the wall? I know they're magnetic but what kind of material did you use for the magnet? I'm afraid it won't be strong enough to hold the weight and have only found knife holder magnets that might work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      The bins are actually secured to the wall with a screw and washers. The magnetic strip next to the bins holds the spice tins.

      Hope that helps!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  79. Hi,

    I love what you've done with the office closet! In fact, I'm stealing that wallpaper for my home office! What is the accent color you used on the inside wall of the closet? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  80. I'll I've how you have organised your workspace, is it a wire shelf above the white one? Going to be stealing a few of these ideas for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      Yes, it is the original wire shelf from our previous closet system. To save on moolah, I just left it and added another floating right below.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  81. Hi Jen,

    I just stumbled upon this and want to do something similar for my wife. How did you secure the MDF shelf to the right side? I see you have shelves there on the right side so I wasn't sure if he screwed the ledger board into that shelving unit. Any guidance is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, We added the small ledger board on the wall just to the right of the closet opening (the small area between the two openings)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.