Thursday, May 15, 2014

33 UHeart Organizing: DIY Lazy Susan Serving Tray

It is FINALLY time to start celebrating the warmer months!  I am so freaking excited!  Outdoor rugs and grilling and entertaining and relaxing.... so much to look forward too!  Speaking of entertaining, my super gal pal, Cassie of Hi Sugarplum, is here today to share with us how she put together the most fantastic serving tray.  It is not just any tray my friends, she really took it to the next level.  Here she is now with all the serving-tastic details!


Hey there, friends...it's always a thrill to hijack Jen's blog for the day, and today I'm especially excited to share my latest project with you!  The temps are finally warming up, which means we'll be spending more time outside... especially at mealtime.  I've seen so many cute outdoor serving pieces in the stores, but thought it'd be more fun to customize one myself.  And who doesn't love a Lazy Susan... so I combined it all into one fab tray!


WHAT YOU NEED

18-inch Pine Round (found for $5 at Home Depot)
Cork Trivet
Cabinet Pulls
Jute String
Decorative Paper (I used this crab paper)
Clear Contact Paper or Mod Podge
Spray Adhesive
Paint



Okay, so I snapped the supplies picture based on how I thought the project would go, so of course that didn't happen.  This project took some trial and error, and I may have gone through a few sheets of paper, and started over twice, but you lucky-ducks will get to skip all that, because I've worked out the kinks for you!


WHAT YOU DO

1.  Paint the entire wood round.  If your paper is dark, you may be able to skip painting the top, but it's best to go ahead and paint the whole thing so the wood doesn't show through.  (Lesson learned #1)



2.  Peel the backing off a piece of Contact Paper, and layer it over your decorative paper, smoothing out any bubbles... essentially laminating it to protect from messy food and drinks.  Then spray the back of the decorative paper with Spray Adhesive, and lay the round face-down on it.  Use a sharp blade to cut around the edges.



3.  By cutting both papers at the same time, you're left with a clean edge.  You could also skip the Contact paper and brush a few coats of Mod Podge on the top to protect it.  Clear Glaze spray, however, will just absorb into the paper instead of creating a protective finish.  (Lesson learned #2)



4.  Once the top is set (and dry if you used Mod Podge), turn it over and attach the Lazy Susan Turntable with screws.



5.  To protect your table surface, hot-glue a cork trivet to the base of the turntable.  You could also attach a scrap piece of wood.



6.  To go with the nautical look of the crab paper, I wrapped jute string around the cabinet pulls, attaching with hot glue.



7.  I realized my pulls were too small, so I switched to a larger, chunkier pull, and screwed them in place.  Tip: use a sharp bit to make a pilot hole first, so you don't shred the surrounding paper. (Lesson learned #3 & #4)



8.  Stand back, admire your work, and pat yourself on the back.  Then thank me for screwing it up 4 times so you wouldn't have to. ;)


With the solid base and strong handles, this is now a sturdy tray for carrying treats outside... and the swivel action makes it fun for entertaining.  I love it so much I took 1082 pictures....

See the full patio makeover here.









You could certainly skip the handles and/or Lazy Susan, but I'm a fan of more is more, so bring it all on!  Thanks for hanging with me today, and happy almost weekend, lovebugs!

Check out more of my Look for Less {DIY} Trays:
"Hi, I'm Cassie, a DIY and design-obsessed Texas girl, and lover of travel, fashion, sarcasm and Mexican food. When I'm not hanging with my sweet and funny family, you can find me kicking the '80s out of our home, one budget project at a time, on my blog Hi Sugarplum!"

33 comments:

  1. SO fun! I love the crab paper. Looks like something I could definitely tackle once we get our back yard living space in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren...and YES, such an easy project! And fun!

      Delete
  2. WOW! This is adorable! I'm so excited to be back outdoors and I could so use a fun serving tray. Thanks Cassie for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color me smitten! Love it. Great job. Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project! Super cute Cassie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a good idea-- pinning and determined to execute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous project! And thank you for sharing the mistakes you made - that actually really helps. Can you give us an idea of what this project might cost to make ourselves using comparable items? Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I linked most of the items in the supply list...the wood and lazy susan are about $5 each....the rest of the cost would depend on whether you had things on hand, and also the paper and handles you chose. You could definitely create the project for under $20! Hope this helps!

      Delete
  7. This is so cute. I have a lazy Susan from ikea that I think was 7.99. I never thought of painting it or putting on contact paper. Can't wait to spruce it up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, now I need to find a lazy susan from Ikea for more projects! Thanks for the tip, Liliana!! ;) xo

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! I am in love with this! Thank you for the awesome tutorial. I want to make this for all my friends....and then for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley -- that's a great idea to make them as gifts! It would be fun to bring one to a party!

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much Cassie, it looks useful and gorgeous. Enjoy yours.
    and thanks Jen, for hosting Cassie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is super adorable!! You did a great job, I love the crabs! Perfect for the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all things red, white and blue...and the crabs were just asking for an outdoor project!

      Delete
  11. I really love the idea of using handles on the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if oil cloth would also work? I've never tried to glue it down but it would be a quick clean up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oil cloth would be a great option, and certainly better protection!

      Delete
  13. I love it!!! I'm lovin' crabby's right now. They just seem to be everywhere you turn in decor and kids clothes even!!! I want to try this project. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! Great easy project for any backyard entertaining. Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO SMART!!! I never even realized those lazy-Susan devices existed and are so simple to mount. Definitely keeping this in mind for future projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!?! I was surprised they sold the lazy susan and the finished wood rounds...and for so cheap!!!

      Delete
  16. I always wondered if you could buy that base to make your own lazy Susan! (I don't know why I never researched that). I especially like the jute-wrapped handles. This is super cute and looks pretty easy. Thanks for taking one (or four) for the team!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am OBSESSED with that crab paper! And adding the lazy susan function is so smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second I saw the paper, I knew I HAD to have it, and a project was born!

      Delete
  18. Awesome tutorial! Pinning ASAP! This would make such a fantastic personalized housewarming gift ~ Erika @ www.yayforhandmade,com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suuuuuch a good idea! It looks to be so simple and looks so classy! I love that print you put on there! Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.