Wednesday, April 16, 2014

10 Reader Space: An Inspired Pantry

We all love a nicely organized pantry right?  Well then I have a treat for you.  Today's featured pantry sheds a whole new light on inspiring food storage.  This one is both organized and incredibly charming, which is a lovely combination my friends.


I am sure the amazing Melissa from The Inspired Room needs little introduction.  However, if you have not been over to her blog, it ranks high on my list of daily reads and I really recommend checking her out.  Her home is beyond beautiful and cozy and warm and I always love the special touches she brings to each and every space she touches.

Which brings me to her kitchen pantry.  Oh my greatness it is delightful with a side of practical.  She was really able to use that gifted ability of hers to make any space inspiring.  Here she is now to share more details with us.


What is the main function of this space?

"Our pantry is used primarily for bulk grains and beans, some canned goods and sauces, and overflow storage for the kitchen.  We have easy access to our microwave in the center, and a bin for recycling in the back.  We also store everyday items that we need access to, like sticky notes, pens, and a rack for our keys.  We have additional pantry space in our garage for bigger or surplus pantry items, so this pantry is for more frequently used items."



Any superstar tips for keeping it organized?

"When designing the pantry, we made the decision to remove the pantry door so it would be wide open to the kitchen.  Because it would be visible, we knew we wanted to make selections that would be lovely to look at and easy to keep organized.  This meant using tons of baskets to store our food and corral similar items together.  We find it motivating keep it organized since its always in our line of sight through our kitchen!  The baskets give us a flexible way to organize and store items without having to see the clutter.  Even when certain food items are visible on the shelves, we don’t mind seeing them… since it is a kitchen after all!  When you can see directly into an open pantry or closet, you feel much more inspired to keep it clean!"



What items did you find were essential when organizing the space, and why?

"When we removed the wire shelving, it really helped open up the pantry gave us some room to breathe. I prefer to create “zones” for organization rather than have everything jumbled up everywhere on pantry shelves.  Having defined sections of shelving and various sizes of baskets helped us create a logical but flexible system for storage of snacks, breakfast items, pastas, sauces, and bulk foods."



What did you do to go the extra mile and "Make it Pretty"?

"We wanted this pantry to feel like an extension of our home, so we made design choices with that idea in mind.  We used a console table with drawers to set our microwave on, which gives the pantry a great homey feel and provides extra storage.  We used a variety of baskets and weren’t concerned about them all matching. We love the eclectic mismatched look.  We also used a DIY chalkboard that I made a few years ago to add some art to the walls.  Our pantry now feels like an extension of the kitchen that is worthy of being seen instead of covered up!"



What items did you DIY to stay on a budget?

"The console table that the microwave sits on was a piece we already had, which we updated with washi tape and new knobs.  We also used a DIY chalkboard as art for the space."


How has this space impacted your life for the better?

"By removing the pantry door, now we can move freely in and out and the space without an unnecessary door in the way.  That allows it to have a “butler’s pantry” feel, which adds charm to our kitchen that we love!  We love looking into our pantry everyday!" 




Seriously, isn't her pantry amazing?   Here are a few of the key reasons why I personally heart it like crazy:

  • Melissa mentioned a few times that they removed the door and can now see directly into the pantry.  This keeps it easily accessible and allows the pantry to act as an extension of the kitchen.  Bonus, it inspires her to keep it organized!
  • I couldn't agree more that the mixing and matching of baskets and containers creates this amazing eclectic feeling and gives the pantry personality.
  • A console table in the pantry?  Not something you see everyday but it really works here!  Such a smart solution to holding her microwave and cookbooks.  And I love that there is room below for taller storage containers.
  • Melissa utilized all of the walls within her pantry by mixing and matching different styles of shelves and wall organizers.  
  • The woven baskets are perfect for concealing food clutter, yet also keep like items corralled together and easy to find.  The clear storage keeps dry foods fresher for longer and allow Melissa to see what she has on hand. 
  • I spy darling labels!  Always a win!
  • There are little touches brought in that really top off the entire space.  The key holder, chalkboard, lamp and knobs on the console table are all charming accents that allow the pantry to truly shine.


Spaces like this always inspire me to rethink how I approach areas all over my home.  Melissa didn't need a bunch of matchy-matchy containers or expensive pantry shelving systems installed in order to achieve an organized space.  In fact, her mixing and matching of storage solutions is what makes this pantry so magical.

Endless thanks to Melissa for inspiring us today and always.  You can find even more drool-worthy photos of her pantry over on her blog here.



ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life, big or small.  They can be anything from an organized drawer or cabinet to an entire room.  Please submit your story and photos to iheartreaderspace@gmail.com, and I would heart to feature them right here on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

10 comments:

  1. The little console table is totes adorbs! I love the yellow lamp too, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and functional pantry. I wish mine was this big but there are tips I can use to make the most of what we have : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! What a beautiful pantry! I love how it is truly an extension of your home-- so well designed! Wonderful job, Melissa!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like the console table is too out of place for me and wastes a lot of space and the different bins etc are too a.d.d. for me. I'm so jealous of anyone who has a pantry, I can't wait to have my own in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a smaller pantry that I currently hate. There are some really great ideas here. I also love the wall color. I totally want to paint ours now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the key hook... Where did she get it from!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pantry looks so good. I love the cane and wire baskets. Such great ideas. I made over my pantry last year and loved the result.

    http://llibbyslifestyle.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/pantry-makeover.html

    Unfortunately, we've since moved south and I'm still redesigning my new pantry in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Melissa's pantry! She is so good at figuring out what works for her family and implementing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa's pantry is a dream! It is so pretty and yet so organized, loved it!
    Axelle
    Style playground

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.