Wednesday, June 12, 2013

21 Reader Space: A Creative Place to Craft

Oh My Lanta!

Today's reader is one you probably recognize, as the amazing Beckie from Infarrantly Creative, and if you haven't met her yet, your definitely gonna want to.  Her skills are incredible and jaw dropping.  In fact, my jaw is still glued to the floor and there is no sign that it is coming up any time soon.


Why you ask?  What made my jaw drop so freakishly fast?  Beckie designed and built herself a craft room.  Not just any craft room.  We are talking the most amazing craft room ever!  And when I say designed and built, I am not joking.  It was built from scratch.  That is what makes this space so inspiring.  Well, that and the organization is oh the hook.  Here she is now!


What is the main function of the space?

"The main function of this space is to serve as a place for me to create. Since I am a craft/DIY/home decor blogger I needed a place dedicated to just that in my home.  Its secondary purpose is a place for my kids and I to have craft days.  One of my goals for 2013 was to instill creativity into my kiddos.  Believe it or not, being creative doesn't translate into spending creative time with my kids.  I wanted that to change in 2013 and this space definitely has helped meet that goal."



Any superstar tips for keeping it organized?

"My main tip is everything has a dedicated place with a label attached to it.  When I get new supplies I immediately find a home for it.  I also have 1 cabinet that is unfilled so that helped that everything isn't jam packed in here.  Without a doubt my label maker was essential in organizing this room.  I purposely have my craft supplies hidden.  I was able to really use plastic bins and totes that work rather than worrying about it being pretty too.  I know I would have struggled with open shelving for that purpose.  Most of my bins have handles on the top also that makes for easy transport to craft nights."



What did you do to go the extra mile and "Make it Pretty"?

"Since this is the place that I spend most of the time it needed to be beautiful too.  After all the white cabinetry was in I was dying for color.  The IKEA curtains inspired the color pallet.  I loved that I went nontraditional in the color of my large craft table.  I also used fabrics for pillows and a sewing machine cover that added more vibrancy to the room.  And my gallery wall serves as a place of inspiration for me but also is pretty to look at."




What items did you DIY to stay on a budget?

"You can find a gallery of all of the projects here {DIY cabinets, DIY craft table, DIY rolling bookcase, DIY everything!} 




This was by far my most expensive home project to date.  But in order to do all I did would have cost me $15-$20K to hire it out.  By doing it myself I spent 1/4 of that.   While that still is a big chunk of change it is a place that I work in everyday and is functional in every way."


How has this space impacted your life for the better?

"I can't tell you how amazing I feel every time I walk past this room.  It is such a sense of empowerment to know that I built it with my own two hands.  But more importantly it has been a place that my kids and I have spent hours creating in.  I love that it has become the hub of our house with kids doing homework, coloring, reading books, and begging mommy to get out the paints.  It really is helping me to achieve my goals both professionally and personally with my kiddos.  I wish I would have done this 5 years ago!"




Oh yes indeed.  She built that space!  Can you believe it?  Or do we need to send out a team of jaw scrapers out all over the world?

Why do IHeart this space?  Let's count the ways... 
  • This room was a blank slate and she turned it into the most beautiful and organized room to work, craft, create and be happy with her kids.  
  • She built everything!  Those cabinets, seriously, how incredible are they?  Can we hand her some sort of award?
  • The amount of concealed storage she added leaves me speechless!  It is beautiful and looks like a bajillion bucks!
  • I love that she knew that open shelves would be too hard to manage and coming up with lots of pretty storage wouldn't be cost effective.  By concealing the cabinets and using inexpensive bins, she got the best of both worlds.
  • Every bin is labeled.  That in itself is HUGE!  And I love that they have handles for easy transportation!
  • Can we take a moment to swoon over that giant piece of fantastic furniture in the middle of the room?  Did you know she built and painted that too?  Crafting can take up soooo much space, and she absolutely has it now! 
  • Beckie really thought about the little touches that make the space special as well.  Vibrant curtains, painted chair, hidden ironing board {behind that rolling bookcase!} and a craft caddy in the center of her work space.
  • Her last comment always leaves my tummy full of butterflies and rainbows and flowers and gumdrops, "I can't tell you how amazing I feel every time I walk past this room.  It is such a sense of empowerment to know that I built it with my own two hands.  But more importantly it has been a place that my kids and I have spent hours creating in."  And that's what it's all about folks!
  • Did I mention that she built this city craft space?

I wish I could go and chill and craft in this space in person.  It is simply magical!  For now, gazing at all of her photos and projects virtually will have to do.  You can snag the entire craft room reveal here.

What is the biggest DIY project you have ever taken on?  Does Beckie inspire you to whip out a saw and start building some storage too?


ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please submit your story and photos here and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

21 comments:

  1. Wow, that made MY jaw drop!! Incredible space!!! Wish we had the extra room to do something like this.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing! Like a craftroom from dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green with envy! That's one amazing space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, your room is gorgeous. And I love that everything has its place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Goodness. This space is unbelievable! Can I come over and play? BTW I totally agree with the comment about being creative but it not necessarily equalling creative time with your kids, that is so true.. that may be a goal I adopt for myself. Thanks for sharing your amazing space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I'm in love, so much space for crafting. This room is bigger than my entire apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE Beckie's craft space, so functional and beautiful :)

    xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, jaw dropping awesomeness!! I can only dream to have a craft room like that one day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow so much detail! I'm incredibly jealous. Great job Beckie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is simply amazing. This inspires me so much. I'm planning to turn a bedroom into a craft room but recently decided to multi use the space as a guest/craft room. Seing this makes me want to rethink my decision.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Smokes! That's a craft room! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing space....Someday I hope to have a space like that where my supplies are all organized and I have a huge flat space to work....Right now, I work on a little desk and my supplies are disorganized and in multiple places. This is really something to work towards!
    Jamie
    andersonandgrant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you created some extra height to your windows by placing the curtain rod far above the actual window! Great trick! Also, the fact that you have the bar chairs at the giant island as optional seating at a good height even though you stand to do your projects most of the time is wonderful. And I think it's fabulous to create enough storage space that you have some empty places so things aren't cramped. Over all it's amazing! Oh, and the floors! Beautiful! And so functional- easy clean up!

    Loved this post. It's way out of my possibilities as a whole for my current house, but there are so many fun ideas that can be used from this anyway. And I think this just answered my question about open shelves or cabinets for me! Close off the mess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm SO jealous of Beckie's craft room! The storage and organization is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is honestly AMAZING! Not only is it a great place to complete all of your projects but it is so organized and pretty! I am extremely jealous. I love the bar height working space

    ReplyDelete
  16. I audibly gasped. This is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um, WOW!!! This is totally and completely amazing. I am having serious craft room envy over here! Also envying her mad cabinet-building skills. Beckie, you are the woman!!! Thanks so much for sharing this inspiring space, Jen! Have a great weekend!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is beautiful to see you have a whole room dedicated to decorating but still versatile for many other uses. Right now our space is contained to a tiny kitchen table but we hope some day we can expand to a room like you! Glad we came across your blog and can't wait to read more!

    Anne & Alie
    http://stylishthriftysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Love this room! :D I need more shoe boxes. Thank goodness i can get them at the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So jelly as my daughter would say!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.