Wednesday, April 25, 2012

26 Reader Space: Honey We're An Organized Home!

Today's reader clearly has a love for organizing.  And an eye for design.  And I love how she combines the two!



"I'm Megan from Honey We're Home and am really honored to be visiting Jen's blog today.  I'm all about keeping things neat, clean, and organized in our home, which isn't always easy while juggling life with my husband, a lively 2-year old son running around, and a full time job.  But keeping our house organized truly gives me such JOY!  So let me show you a couple of things I've done with our home.  

 
I've got a solution for organizing your jewelry, specifically, the necklaces.  I don't know about you, but for me, if I can't see my necklaces at a glance, I'm much less likely to wear them.  I had a behind-the-closet-door storage system that worked really well . . . pre-baby.  Now, one of my son's favorite things is to pull the necklaces he can reach off the wall.  So, I needed to get them higher. 


I wasn't sure if my idea was going to work, so I didn't photograph it step-by-step, but all I did was apply my pretty paper to a piece of foam board and attach pushpins at the top to hang the necklaces on.  {The pins actually poke through to the other side- you could obviously use a cork board too, but so far, my pins are staying strong}.



WalMart had a really cute selection of push pins in different sizes and colors {hot and pale pink, light and dark aqua}.  I chose the shiny silver here.  


Now I can see my most favorite necklaces right where I get ready in the morning. 


Since I had a shelf handy, I added my watches and some bracelets too {contained in bowls from Anthropologie}.






 
And since I know Jen is fond of RAINBOWS, I had to share this easy, colorful design project with you!  

What began as a Valentine craft project turned into a broader crafty art idea.  Does that happen to you?  You start out with one goal in mind and then once you get into it, the project takes a different direction?  Originally, I collected paint chip samples in varying shades of pink and used a Martha Stewart heart punch to cut out a bunch of hearts that I planned on attaching to a single square canvas.  Since Valentine's day is all about love, I thought it would be cute to hang some hearts in our kitchen or entryway.


 Then I got carried away...


I ended up collecting all colors of the rainbow and punching out hearts in all of them.  The punching is easy (and quite addictive), taking just a few minutes to punch out a gazillion. And since I had more canvases, I spread them out onto four squares. To give the art dimension, I used adhesive foam circles to affix the hearts to the canvas.  I just eyeballed the placement of the hearts and tried to keep the lines straight.  



There are 90 hearts on each canvas.  It took about 2 hours to stick 360 hearts onto these canvases.



Then I had to figure out where to put them.  James' room?  Too much on the walls already.  The hallway?  No.  But my office happily welcomed them!



Who says hearts are only for Valentine's Day?!



 
Paper clutter!  One of the worst enemies of a productive and otherwise clutter-free household.  It drives me crazy how quickly the mail piles up in our house!  I have started making a point to address the mail each day, instead of waiting until it's out of control.


Now, as soon as the mail comes in, I toss the trash, set aside the bills, and sort the magazines until I have a chance to read them.


I like to keep magazines by my bed so I can read before going to sleep.  Also, I can never read a magazine while James is awake.  {The basket is from West Elm}.


As for the rest of the paper clutter in our home, it's nothing a few file organizers and my trusty labeler can't handle!


My principles for organizing the paper clutter are really simple.  It's just hard to get going sometimes, especially if its gotten really out of hand.

Don't run out and buy any new organizing supplies until you've sorted through things so that you can better see what you need.  You can go buy the pretty organizers later, think of it as your reward for all that hard work!
  1. Gather all the papers into one large surface area
  2. Sort into piles, putting like categories together
  3. Break the categories into subcategories for filing 
  4. Create labels! 
Here's my process put into action with a few major categories in our house: 


 Here's the whole big mess before I sorted through it.


Then I sorted and put post-it notes on top in anticipation for labeling.


And finally, using a file from The Container Store, I made labels for each section.



Is it just me but are coupons all the rage these days?  I'm obsessed with Extreme Couponing, in the same way I'm fascinated by the Real Housewives.  I don't want to be them, but it's fun to watch.  I do like to save money though, but have been terrible at using coupons, despite my best efforts.  It seems I'd checkout and the in the car on the way home remember I had a coupon or the one I wanted to use was expired, but now I'm determined to be more organized with my coupons.  

This goes for all those discount codes the retailers offer too.  Since those "30% off" or "save $50 for every $100" deals comes along every month, I don't buy clothes without them at places like Express, Banana Republic, and Ann Taylor Loft.

I got a mini accordion file at The Container Store for receipts, coupons, and gift certificates.  I keep the coupons I need for the week in the very back so I can find them easily.  And I edit the folder every few weeks and trash the expired coupons or the receipts I no longer need.  Long-term receipts I need to hold on to {like furniture or electronics} are moved to our household file drawer.


The file isn't tiny, but it fits easily in my purse, so I keep it with me all the time.

 

I created a file for documents pertaining to James before he was even born, but the papers still pile up as he grows.  If I'm not ready to file things away yet, I'll at least put everything in a basket together so that it's contained until I can get to it.  


Then I just sort it into his files, which I currently keep on his bathroom counter.


The file is from Target, but I added a piece of scrapbook paper to the inside and some stickers to make it more fun.



I hope sharing how we deal with some of the paper in our house helps you in your own home!

Jen, thank you so much for having me!"


No, THANK YOU Megan!

I super love her blog and home and ideas!  You can check it out here.  Here is a preview of some more goodness you will find when you hop over:







Feeling as inspired as I am?


ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!  More info HERE.

26 comments:

  1. Wow is all I can say! I am inspired to get my butt in gear with some things now! All I need is the time, that is the tricky part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen for having me! Your readers are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressed, yet again! I love this blog and the others that you feature. Now, if only I had a bigger house, budget, time and someone to entertain my twin toddlers I'd be set! Great ideas as always - keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan. I hope you don't mind If I steal some ideas from your mudroom. We recently turned our entryway closet into a mudroom but its still unfinished. I love your colors and would also love to pin that pic I'm sure you'll get some trackbacks to your site. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a specific file box for her son. Think I'll do the same - especially since my son is about to start preschool in the fall and the papers will be coming in daily! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I need you at my house, you are so organized

    rosiemini@gmail.com
    www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Megan is one of my faves!! What a wonderful post. She is so organized and has such a gorgeous home. I wish I were that organized with my manuals. I fail in that department ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photo ideas! I love to look around the house for organizing supplies that I can re-purpose. It helps me complete project quicker since I do not need to go out and buy anything.

    I like sorting the manuals in an accordion folder labeled A-Z. Then, sort my manuals by manufacturer's name. Since each product has the manufacturer's name on it, it makes it easy to file and find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive! As the mom of a 2-year-old, I can totally relate to having to rethink storage. My little guy gets into everything! Thanks for showing how to make an opportunity for a fun project out of an otherwise frustrating situation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Yes, inspired is an understatement. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute ideas...just great! Can't wait to redo my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Megan is so incredibly organized. Lots of great tips! I need to be better about coupons. I also love her heart artwork! Colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really pretty home and some great inspiration. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please don't trash expired coupons! Our overseas military families can use them for up to 6 months beyond their expiration date!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying it! I really like your idea of how to file papers.. I started a similar file-folder system myself a few years ago but still find the clutter as you say, stacks up so fast!!! Always looking for ways to improve.

    I wonder - I have seen your post about your magnetic spice jars.. do you have any bright ideas or past posts dealing with say, 30+ spices? I can't do the magnet thing,sadly.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love her home, especially the jewelry organization!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a reader of Honey We're Home so it was exciting to see her feature. Love the jewelry storage idea! So many cute projects - cute and practical. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Favorite reader space so far!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the white entertainment system!! Can you tell me who makes it?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just going to ask the same thing as the last comment. Where is that white entertainment center from? I love it and have been looking for that exact same look for our family room. I'd love it if you could share!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there! I came across one of your lovely photos from this blog on Pinterest, and I was inspired to do a DIY based on it.

    Is it alright if I use your photo in my blog post about my DIY? Sorry to bother you, but I just wanted to credit your idea & share your photo with my very minimal amount of readers :)

    Here is the blog post: http://emiklio.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/diy-dorm-decorations-with-paint-chips/

    Let me know if you'd like me to take it down! Thanks (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for this feature.. I came to look at the paint chip wall art but was swiftly distracted by all the wonderful organization tips.. Your blog is one of my faves! I just finished a frugal crafts round-up and just HAD to include the paint chip wall art. Hope it's okay.. will definitely let Megan know too. You can see it here: http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/Frugal-Crafts-15-Easy-Craft-Ideas

    Thank you so much for this wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi...I saw a couple of people already asked this and maybe you replied to them individually...but can you tell me where your white entertainment center came from? I love it. Thank you! shannoncox99@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've seen lots of people post things made from paint color strips, but people don't seem to realize that the more people take these for their personal use that has nothing to do with wanting to decide on a paint color, the cost of the paint is increased and the buyer of the paint ends up paying more than necessary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.