Monday, March 2, 2015

23 DIY Hair Tool Organizer

We recently made a sweet and simple gift for a fellow friend and it was so easy, I thought I would share today. 



What I love about this project is: a) it was inexpensive, around $15,  b) it can be customized even more with paint or stencils or vinyl, and c) it was easy peasy to build!  Here are the materials we ended up using:

Helpful tools:
  • Clamps
  • Saw
  • Brad Nailer
 
I wanted the hair tool organizer to be about 16" wide and 4 1/2" deep, so we cut down the MDF board accordingly.


I applied wood glue to each edge and created a basic window box shape out of the cut pieces.  The square dowel was cut down to act as support in each corner and give me something to nail into.


I then used a clamp to hold the edges of the box together while I adjusted each edge to ensure everything was nice and flush.  I then used our brad nailer paired with 5/8" nails and secured all edges of the box.


The organizer would work just as well as is at this point, but I had some spare moulding and wanted to add a decorative touch.  Simple 45 degree miter cuts did the trick.


I applied more glue to the back of the moulding and held each piece in place with blue painter's tape until all cuts were made.


And again, only nailed the trim in the corners where there was enough wood for the nail to grab hold.


Next up, wood putty!  I used putty on all of the edges and to fill any visible nail holes.


We had some sanding pads nearby, so I grabbed an ultra fine grit and went over the entire box once the wood putty was dry.


I gave the box a single coat of primer and two coats of white enamel paint, sanding more in-between each coat.


Once the paint was dry and cured, I used two empty quart paint cans, and inserted them into the box.


I used a ball of mounting putty, but realized that the cans still slid around a little inside.  If you like the flexibility, then it holds well enough.  The can could also be attached with glue or velcro.


I left enough room on either side of the cans, so the cords from the hair tools had a place to land/tuck away.  The paint can is the perfect size for a hair dryer, while it was a little large for a single barrel curling iron.  I probably could have fit both a hair straightener and curling iron into the single paint can.  An empty soup can would also work just as well.


Because the organizer is 16" long, there was enough space in-between each can to hold daily hair care products as well.


I just popped my own items inside for a quick picture, but I can't wait to gift this little project to a pal.  The box could be stained or painted in any shade, and a name or pattern could also be applied to the face with vinyl.  Too cute!  And if bathroom surface space is limited, the entire unit can be mounted to the wall with basic keyhole hanger hardware.

I sort of wish I had a need for one of these, it turned out pretty darling and was an easy build (even I could do it with limited power tool experience).   And it is versatile enough it could also be used to organize craft supplies or act as a beautiful planter in the center of a table or on a mantle.  Multiple functions is always a win, am I right?

23 comments:

  1. I seriously need this! Although I may buy a plantar like that pre-painted and then put the cans in.

    Her Heartland Soul
    http://herheartlandsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea!!!

    Laura
    www.24-7style.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of brilliant! I am not into DIY-ing, but maybe I could convince my husband to use his skills and make this for me. If not for me, then maybe he'd do it so my hair tools would stop falling off the counter onto his toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is brilliant and cute at the same time!

    Debasree // ALL SHE NEEDS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great DIY! I love it!

    http://butterflycharms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, I need to try this for my dressing table

    Leah @ The Shelf Society

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have never thought to use paint cans to hold styling tools.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this idea! I'm putting this on my summer To Do List!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why but I have SO much trouble reading your website. Its almost like there is just too much stuff loading and my computer cant keep up. It happens when I am at work and at home so I think its something with the website and not my computers. Scrolling is very difficult and on many occasions I have just given up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that, and I appreciate the feedback. I had no idea some are struggling with the website recently, I will definitely look into what may be causing the issues. xo!

      Delete
  11. This is brilliant!! And only $15?! I think I just may have to make two. One for hair tools & one for all my makeup & brushes.

    www.gracefaithandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! I must know, where did you get that beautiful blue cup all the brushes are in?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger!

      The glass was purchased from Anthropologie a few years ago, but it looks like they still may carry the same style in other colors: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-glassware-glassware/870063.jsp#/

      xo!

      Delete
    2. Awesome, thank you!!! :D

      Delete
  13. I need one of these, ha! All of my bathroom stuff is either tucked in a drawer, or shoved on the counter, and it doesn't work too well! I would much rather have a station of sorts to have all the hair things in one place. Now, if that would come with more counter space, I'd be set, ha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a wood box very similar in size, that I keep hair supplies in. Have you seen the PVC holder?

    https://diysimplymade.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/hair-dryer-holder/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a neat idea! Thanks for sharing- I just may show it to my husband for a weekend project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a nice idea, thanks! http://kirsty.ws/

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome idea! And cheap! Thanks for sharing this with us Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All this needs are two handles on either side, and you're set. :) What a brilliant idea... now that we've moved I need a new solution like this, so I think I'll use this as my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.