Thursday, October 30, 2014

29 UHeart Organizing: A Clever Kid's Book Caddy

My gal pal, Cassie of Hi Sugarplum, is a superstar when it comes to creating high-end trendy looks, on a shoestring budget.  She also has a love for bold colors, so I always get excited to see what she is up to and I just lovity love her style (in both home and fashion).  She is stopping by today to share with us her super savvy solution for corralling her daughter's favorite reading materials (but this could totally work for little boys and adults as well!)  Take it away Cassie!


Hey there, friends! I'm excited to be back over here on Jen's gorgeous blog...a place of so much creativity and ingenuity! Not to mention, she's got some of the sweetest readers around! Speaking of readers (how you like that segue?!), my daughter recently graduated to 'chapter books', and all of a sudden, she can't get enough of books and reading time!

Obviously, this makes a mama's heart happy, and I want to do everything I can to encourage her. When we created her Big Girl Room, we carved out a secret reading nook, but her room was lacking in bookshelves. I looked around online, and fell instantly in love with this Land of Nod book caddy...but didn't love the $150 price tag! #ouch Plus, it's a little too big for her small room.

So I decided to get crafty and create my own out of a bamboo drying rack! It's available at various retailers, but I picked up this one from Container Store.


A few quick coats of bright yellow high gloss spray paint, and a book caddy was born! Oh, and did I mention it was only $20!? #score



It's sturdy enough to hold her heavier hard-back books, but still folds up and tucks away when you need a tidier space.




Each week, she loads it up with new favorites, then has them all at her fingertips. I love to see what books she chooses, as well as the other treasures she stores in it. I'm thinking of making another one to hold magazines in our family room.


Do you remember the Little Miss series? These were mine as a child, and I still remember my grandfather reading them to me. I love that she wants to hang on to them, even though her reading level has grown.


We currently keep the book caddy near her art center (which I cleaned up for pictures, don't be fooled into thinking she's this tidy!), so it's a whole corner of imagination and creativity!



Is there anything better than seeing your kiddo voluntarily reading? Or the peace and quiet that comes with it?! ;) Thanks for letting me share! I'd love to hear how you corral all the books in your kid's rooms.



 "Hi, I'm Cassie, a DIY and design-obsessed Texas girl, and lover of travel, fashion, sarcasm and Mexican food. When I'm not hanging with my sweet and funny family, you can find me kicking the '80s out of our home, one budget project at a time, on my blog Hi Sugarplum!"

29 comments:

  1. This is such a nifty idea! Pinned it to my "Kids Rooms" Pinterest board. I'll be stopping by your blog to look around. :)
    Sinea from Ducks 'n a Row

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin, Sinea!! You'll have so much fun poking around Jen's archives...she has the best ideas and projects!

      Delete
  2. This is a really good idea - I used to have this. Bought it in Ikea ! TY for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think to look at Ikea! They might have one for even less!! Good tip!

      Delete
  3. OMG! What a simple and clever way to keep books! Why didn't I think of that!?! I might get a rack this weekend for my daughter's books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny that it's always the simple ideas that make the biggest difference?! :)

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely genius! I am definitely adding this to my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about genius...but I'll take it!! ;) It's seriously a 15 minute project...so plenty of time for the rest of your list!

      Delete
  5. Hi, It's such a good idea, I don't have kids, but will try to create something like this for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already dreaming up what color I want for our family room...I think it'd be great for a magazine rack, too! Maybe use the bottom rack for TV remotes?!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I love it in her room...but I"m thinking of snagging it for myself! ;)

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! I'm getting some MAJOR bookshelves built in our downstairs room and plan on keeping most books there, but would like a few still kept in my son's room. This is the perfect idea! SCORE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this little cute bookshelf!!

    http://www.bouncecolor.com/2014/10/burgundy-is-this-autumn-winter-fashionable-colour.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I like how portable and customizable it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a genius! I have loved the same Land of Nod bookshelf and couldn't justify the price either. We have way too many other higher priority to-do list house remodel items that this isn't up there on my husband's list to make. Never thought of the drying rack, it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an awesome hack! I love DIY posts like this :) If I had kids, I would definitely do this - but actually I could see this working on a desk as well for an adult!

    rae of love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great idea. I can probably use the basic structure for a magazine rack. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a sweet idea!

    Hi Jen - On a random note, what happened to Ashli from Mini Manor blog? Did she shut her blog down? I cant seem to find it and noticed she is no longer on your "team"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This would be a great solution for your planner, binders or even phone, iPad, etc. LOVE IT. And you can pick the color...my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too love the LON one and am so excited to make this one for my daughter's room. Where is the wire rack from (the one attached to the wall)?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This will be great to use when my son is a little older. For now his books are stored in a drawer. I take them out during story-time everyday. If they're free to grab all day he ends up tearing them apart and eating them! He's 15 months and loves books a little too much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is FAB!!! I was just thinking about how I would store my son's books in his bedroom given we are renting (so I can't put up the display shelving that I love!). I am out to buy one of these racks NOW!
    Thanks so much for sharing such a creative and simple idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! What spray paint color did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this idea! Just curious......do the books really stand up well? I don't see anything that will keep them upright. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.