Monday, May 19, 2014

36 Two Craft Store Storage Boxes - Two Ways!

Head to your favorite home goods store and you are sure to spot a variety of beautiful storage boxes.  Head to my abode, and you are sure to find the same.  I am a storage box addict.  As a girl who loves to organize, I am always seeking out simple ways to reduce visual clutter while also giving specific items a place to call home.  Decorative boxes fit in almost any room or space, are versatile and are an easy solution to most small clutter problems.

So, I thought I would show you two different boxes I recently picked up from my local craft store, and share how I put them to use around our home.

Both boxes were quite simple to create and both also came in under $10.  The first was a black lacquer-esque box found on clearance for $1.99.


It was already pre-finished inside and out, which meant no painting required.  I simply removed the screws and the brass clasp, and filled the holes with some wood putty.  I then used a fine grit sandpaper to sand it smooth and a black Sharpie marker to fill in the holes.


Agate is pretty hot as of late, so I decided the box could benefit from a little agate embellishment.  The agate is actually a jewelry pendant, also found at the craft store for another $1.99 but add a 40% off coupon and the price is even better.

I used a wire snips to remove the small loop at the top of the pendant, and some super glue to adhere the agate to the front of the lid.


$3.18 later and I have a stylish place for my hubby to toss his wallet, keys and phone clutter which usually just ends up in a pile on the ledge near the front door.




Box number two was a little more pricey at $4.99.  However, because I purchased it at a later date, I was also able to use another 40% off coupon.  Sneaky sneaky.  {Hint: install the RetailMeNot app on your smart phone to always have a 40% off Michaels coupon on hand}


I selected this box because it was large enough to hold our remote control clutter.  Our remotes live on the coffee table in front of the couch, and that is where they will remain for the most part.  However, there are times when we like to pick up clutter and tuck our gadgets away.  I started by giving the box a few coats of "Wedding Cake" white craft paint, {I had both on hand in different sheens but not enough of either for the entire box so I just mixed the two}, however, any paint would do just fine.


I followed the same steps with the previous box, removing the front clasp and using wood putty to fill in the holes prior to painting.  Once the paint was dry, we found the center of the top of the box and drilled a hole for a drawer pull I planned to install on the top.


The screw of the pull was quite long, so to shorten it, I had my husband use his Dremel tool {outdoors with safety glasses of course}.


It wouldn't be a decorative box makeover without some pretty paper lining {wrapping paper adhered with double stick tape}.  


And that was it!  Now it sits on a side table at the end of our sofa!


And to say I am obsessed with the horn pull is an understatement.


The remotes fit just as I had hoped!


Total cost for this box of awesomeness was $8.99.  That means I was able to create both storage box "gems" for $12.17 by using coupons and items I had on hand.

Compared to similar agate options which come in around $75 and cleat handled versions around $35, I am happy with my easy peasy crafty high/low versions.


If you have been enjoying the high/low challenge as much as I have, there is still time to link up your projects here.


36 comments:

  1. Boxes + I <3 organizing - always, ALWAYS go hand'n'hand :)

    I wanted to join the high & low challenge, but linky's r new to me, so bit scared... I actually was looking at something at a store today, & was imagining what I would do with it for this challenge - but I had to pass cuz of the tight schedule I have at the moment...

    However it's always a pleasure to read yr posts! Keep em coming! I might join in on yr next challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link parties are a great way to share your projects, but I completely understand if they make you nervous as they do drive some extra traffic your way. :) I have one per month so whenever you are ready, there will be one waiting.

      Delete
  2. Lovely idea Jen. Those boxes look high end. I am definitely going to copy it. Where did you get the side table from? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The end table was found on Joss & Main: https://www.jossandmain.com/Bluefield-Studio-Penelope-Etagere~JHF2191~E10199.html

      Delete
  3. Wow...they look so fantastic, what a difference the two knobs make - I especially love the horn pull, that is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the horn pull! Looks so high end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them Jen, you are a real visionary! I adore what you do with items that are so mundane, just about everything could use a little pizazz am I right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such fun updates! I think I'll have to fit in a quick trip to Michaels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I am obsessed with everything about this post!! I had never thought about replacing the hardware on small things like this. I've only thought about it on large furniture pieces. What a HUGE difference it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're both beautiful! Great makeovers, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute boxes put to good uses! You are so lucky in your craft supply prices. Here in Australia, although our dollar is similar to yours, the products cost at least twice as much and we have no coupon system.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute and simple! Definitely going to try this.

    tinyteathings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Loved the idea! So simple and what a difference...
    I will use it for sure :) :)
    Regards
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love little boxes that can secretly hide the stuff away. The updates you made to your boxes truly transformed them. Love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the boxes, but also really appreciate the tip on RetailMeNot app!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never thought of putting the remotes in a container. Thanks for the idea. And also, thank you for sharing about the app. Just downloaded it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the idea for hiding the remotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! The Michael's and Joanne's apps are great to ensure a coupon or two each time as well! Most of the time I pull up one and the employee will scan two or three if they are able! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The remotes! They're always bugging me, either messing or disapearing! Such goo ideias!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Speechless! Those are great, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE everything! Where did you get the tiered side table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I purchased the side table on Joss & Main: https://www.jossandmain.com/Bluefield-Studio-Penelope-Etagere~JHF2191~E10199.html

      Delete
  20. I loooove decorative storage boxes. And I absolutely love your blog! So I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger award. :] Here's my link:
    http://itsreallyrosie.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award.html
    -Emily
    from It's Really Rosie
    http://itsreallyrosieblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! Our remote hiding spot/box is needing updated-I'm going to be on the lookout for one I can revamp myself!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They both are so pretty and stylish! They keep the area looking so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. First, your creativity astounds me. Can I borrow your brain please?
    Second, I cannot get over the outrageous prices that these companies charge for such simple pieces. $95 for a box?? Absolutely NOT! Good for you for finding an AWESOME way to create your own version. Gotta love those Michaels coupons! I have the Michaels app and I check it regularly :).

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! It's amazing how the smallest changes can make such a huge difference in the look of a project!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love both of these boxes - what a neat and cheap DIY - THANK you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are both soooooo good. I love them. How the heck do you always knock it out of the ballpark?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this idea! I love that Michael's craft store has these unfinished boxes as well as many other things. I recently did a post on using an unfinished box from michael's and making it into a jewelry box! It was so fun to do, I love getting crafty.

    I also love that jewel you added to the front, and on top of the other box. Such a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both boxes are very cute! I am seeing such cute little boxes all over the Internet lately...it's making me think that I definitely need to DIY a couple for my room. Hm...they would be a good way to keep little things out of sight.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post and terrific pictures. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.