Saturday, April 19, 2014

50 For the Love of Coral Continued...

Happy Easter weekend everyone!  Is it starting to feel like Spring where you live yet?  It always takes our area a bit to catch up, but that doesn't mean that I am ignoring my urges to bring a little bit of the season indoors.

Not only is spring influencing my color choices as of late, it is also inspiring me to check a few unfinished rooms and projects off of my To Do list.  I always feel like I have 101 projects in the works or in the wings and that type of chaos tends to get a little overwhelming.  Because my husband works outside of the home, a lot of what we do is completely based on the time we have and what we are able to build into our nightly schedule.  One day we may have thirty minutes to tackle something small in the studio and the next we may have three hours to go after a project in the laundry room.  I have become custom to working in this way, but unfortunately, it has gotten a little out of control.  We have project supplies purchased for our utility room {still not done six months later}, our laundry room, our living room and our studio.  I am aiming to take a month off of starting anything new and focusing on one area at a time to just finish the areas nagging on us the most.  This week was our dressing room.


Earlier this week I shared the biggest piece of the dressing room project, which was adding in a few storage towers with shelves and drawers for our extra accessories.  I also grew my jewelry board with a fun coral addition; which consisted of pairing a bed sheet with a stencil and cork board.

After living with the coral for a few days, I knew it was the right move.  Bold, but happy and fresh and exactly what I was aiming for in my windowless sanctuary.

We use our dressing room multiple times per day, not only for getting ready each day, but also for doing any exercise, stretching and treadmill running.  We also use it at the end of our day to prepare for bed.  I have always wanted to create a sanctuary that greets me with a smile each morning, as it is the first thing I see when I open my eyes and the first room I enter to begin my day.  I am a believer that your surroundings impact your attitude and mood, so I am excited to finally be putting a few more details into the space.

I initially purchased a coral flat bed sheet after seeing the new Threshold stools at Target.  The stools totally made my heart race, but there was no need for me to purchase them when I had two perfectly useful x-base stools already sitting in the center of our dressing room at home.  So, I set out to recover them in the same color as the inspiration stools, using a twin sized flat sheet.  The sheet covered both stools as well as the cork board I shared earlier this week. 

I shared our initial stool reupholster project back here, and we essentially followed the same steps.  We removed the scarf {which held up surprisingly well over the last year given that it was never upholstery material}, and pulled the sheet tightly around the bench cushion.  We secured the sheet with our staple gun, giving each staple an extra tap with the hammer to be sure everything was nice and secure. 


The bottom of the stool already had pre-drilled holes for the tufted buttons.  But the original blue buttons were not going to cut it with this new color scheme, so I set out to create new white buttons with the help of a kit.


Once the buttons were created out of some scrap white fabric, we tufted those stools and it was awesome.


The next project was to create a chalkboard to track our weekly exercise plan.  A place to jot down our running sessions and routines and the results of any time spent on our workouts.

I started with a frame found at a local thrift store, and gave the glass five coats of chalkboard paint.


I also painted the decorative frame with some flat white paint.  Once the chalkboard paint was dry, we used an oil based Sharpie paint pen to create the lines for the tracker.  We followed our previous chalkboard calendar tutorial here.


The letters on the calendar were created out of some gold foil with my Silhouette die cutting machine.

The final fun project we did was finally get around to hanging a print I purchased back in October {that totally seems to be how things roll around here}, as well as a decorative hook.  The hook was placed near my wardrobe as a place for me to hang outfit selections.


I have been living with a stand in table for a few months while I used my vanity in my studio, however, I had enough of that and brought it back in where it belonged.  For a hot second, our entire dressing room looked magical!


And a view from our bedroom....


With all of the airy and spring like colors being used, I tossed in a few black accents to keep it all a bit balanced.  I totally heart it!


We just hung the new chalkboard workout log yesterday afternoon and you can imagine I am giddy excited for Sunday to roll around so I can begin using it!  The hubby and I are about to get competitive, so this will be a perfect place to track some {fingers crossed} results.  More on our exercise corner here.

The vanity is happy to be home.


I topped it with a coral vase filled with one of my favorite blooms, as well as a candle, glass of amazing gold makeup brushes {gifted to me from a very dear friend} and a small lamp for added lighting.


You can see how I organize my makeup here.  And how I tackled the interior of my wardrobe closet here and here.


It was so fun to see what a few simple additions could do for our space.  One coral corkboard, a set of coral stools {made from a bed sheet}, a framed print paired with a decorative hook hook topped off with our black and white striped throw and boom!




I was asked in the last post if my space always looks this tidy and the honest answer is no. I love having good systems in place, but we have piles of laundry and bedding and personal items out and about at any given time.  I try to tidy up once per week or if company is coming, but just like the rest of our home, the space is loved and used. 

How is spring inspiring you lately?  Any new colors being used or projects being done with a nod to the seasonal change? 

50 comments:

  1. It's stunning! The coral was definitely the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks AMAZING and I'm so jealous of your space! The colors are so bright and cheery to wake up too! I have been wanting that Anthropology hook for awhile now and you just convinced me that I NEED them! Off to order....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks AMAZING ! Great Job! xo
    Iris
    www.thecoloredmarriedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have created such a beautiful space, I love everything. It makes me want to clean up our large walk in closet.

    Tammy @ thecoloreddoor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. very springy pics ^_^ but it's autumn here down under

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so lovely! And I am totally with you on this one... "I am a believer that your surroundings impact your attitude and mood." (",)

    Happy Easter weekend to you too, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I love looking at your blog daily and seeing what projects you have done around your gorgeous home! Love the way you implemented coral! :) How do you keep everything in its place?? I always have stuff all over the place. I think its time for a huge organization project for me. :) Do you tackle everything at once or do it in steps? I always get overwhelmed!! Thanks so much!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,

      I think keeping everything in its place comes down to two things:

      1. Giving everything an easy to access home/system
      2. Staying disciplined in putting things away when we are done with them

      Our home is most cluttered and messy when we bring things into the home that don't have a place to go, or when we just get too busy {or lazy} to put things away. I love to organize, not so that our home is "perfect", but so that when we do have our pick-up sessions, our home cleans up nicely.

      Maybe just setting aside a little time each week to do a quick around the house pick-up will help with any lingering items you find creating clutter. And if you are finding things don't have a proper home {or are not easy to put away}, toss those ideas down onto a project list and start a donate bin. We have a large bin set out which I am always tossing things into to take to our local donation center, which also helps with managing our family clutter.

      Thank you so much!
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jen for your suggestions! I really appreciate it! :) I truly love your website and all of your posts/suggestions/tips. My husband and I bought our first home a year ago and we still have a lot of painting/updates to do which is the reason why everything is all over the place. I am going to try your suggestion- devoting a little time each week to organize. Thanks again! xoxo

      Delete
  8. I want to move in, I would never have to leave this room! I never thought to paint the glass of a frame for use as a chalkboard. This is why I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where to begin? It is amazing Jen. Love all the details and fabulous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful space and great ideas. Loving the coral as well.

    Happy Easter to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, you have such an amazing way to pull everything together and look so pretty and sophisticated! I love all the little details like the hook (such a fun element), the vase and the black and white bowl for your jewelry. I have a desk similar to your vanity and now I want to change it up to store my make up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jen! I am wondering where you found the drawer pulls for your dresser? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!

      The drop pulls on the dresser are from Hobby Lobby {50% off sale, woot woot!} and the pulls on the side cabinets are from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Martha-Stewart-Living-Bedford-3-in-Brass-Awning-Cup-Cabinet-Hardware-Pull-136254/202241367

      xoxo!

      Delete
  13. I love this space ... Everything has it place ... I love reading and seeing what you are doing next !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the makeover in the dressing room...love the yellow dress too! Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that! Would love to know the maker of the adorable dress!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! The dress was from Limited a few years ago. It is perfect for wedding season! xoxo!

      Delete
  15. Shoe not show. Dang autocorrect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth!

      It is Closetmaid from Home Depot: http://homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-Selectives-31-in-White-Stackable-Storage-Organizer/100597823/?MERCH=REC-_-mobileweb_pip_rr-1-_-100597820-_-100597823-_-N

      xoxo!

      Delete
  16. Ahh! Jen, I LOVE this post! I have recently been loving coral lately. Where is the chair for your vanity from? It's the perfect size and color! Hope your Easter is filled with lots of candy and Spring weather!

    Sarah

    www.sarahsdaybook.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Chair is from Joss & Main.

      It is made by Safavieh. It is a great chair!

      Happy Easter to you as well! xoxo!

      Delete
  17. Jen, I love your blog, it's actually one of my FAVORITES! Your color choices and style are so inspiring to me. Thank you for motivating me to make my home just as beautiful as yours!!!! You have a very lucky family!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so incredibly sweet Renie! Thank you! I feel pretty lucky myself! (For having a great family AND great readers!)

      xoxo!

      Delete
  18. Where is that beautiful coral vase from?
    Great job on the room! !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the updates! The closet looks absolutely gorgeous with all the pops of coral and grounding it with the black is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jen! May I please ask where you found the frame for the print? I have been looking for a 11''X8.5'' frame at Target/ Michaels/ Ikea and can't find any... Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      It was a Ribba frame from IKEA. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40101040/

      xoxo!

      Delete
  21. I am so jealous of this closet space. I dream about having one this big some day. It would be my special place!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wish they had it on line. .. was this a recent purchase? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see the vase online, however, it was recently purchased and spotted in stores with their newer line of home accessories.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  23. I love how you created the chalkboard … I would have never thought of use a glass frame … very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are one lucky lady to have that...every girls dream! Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jen! Love your blog. Have you seen these chairs at Target? It's funny that you posted your original stool reupholstery project, because that's what I think about everytime I walk by these in our stores. Whether it's true or not, I give you full credit for seeing these beauties at Target! Have a great day!

    steph :)

    http://www.target.com/p/threshold-x-base-chair-pink-blue-floral/-/A-14852215#prodSlot=medium_1_26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful chair! I guess that is why I love Target so much, always on the same wavelength! :D

      xoxo!

      Delete
  26. Holy dressing room!! Honestly Jen, I just want to be you for like a week:) You create with most thoughtful and beautiful spaces. This is just gorgeous. Those stools are amazing lady:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Many times I wonder if it's not tiring for you to do all this. Meanwhile I consider it to be very pretty, is it necessary? It's obvious that you enjoy it and most surely most people on the blogosphere also do. It's not a criticism, just a thought coming from a minimalist in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand where you are coming from Bianca. We all have different levels of comfort when it comes to our homes and our belongings. Honestly, the projects I share keep me motivated and excited and are what I am most passionate about. And I love to blog in hopes that some of it also excites others as well. Although we may not be minimalists, we do what we can to keep clutter and excess at bay, while also implementing systems to organize and control the items we do have. For me, it is the extra projects that make the process of decluttering and organizing much more fun, and provides us with a home that makes us happy.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  28. So cute! Where is the vanity from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nichole! Here is the vanity source: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Crisp-White-2-Drawer-Writing-Desk-HO8800/202671597

      xoxo!

      Delete
  29. Jen, it looks beautiful. You truly have a creative mind. I think sometimes its hard for those that don't have the same gift or calling to see how this could be enjoyable and not just flat out exhausting. :-) My husband sometimes will say to me..."couldn't you just buy that?" And I tell him it is therapeutic for me. So for some it is daunting but for others its therapeutic and energizing! Lucky for us readers, you truly "heart organizing" and get to bless us with your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your bedroom! What is the blue-ish color on the walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori

      The color on the walls is Behr's Frozen Pond.

      xo!

      Delete
  31. Your coral jewelry board is made of corkboard??? Brilliant! Do you just use regular pushpins to hang your jewelry on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Just regular push pins - you can either pin it through the clasp of the necklace or just drape the necklace over bulkier pins.

      xoxo!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.