Friday, January 24, 2014

36 DIY Jar Lid Labels

Once I discovered that vinyl and chalkboard markers go together like peas and carrots, I was over the moon excited.  That opened a whole new world of labeling for me.

Chalkboard labels have been all the rage for a few years now, and I think the reason they are so popular is because people love that versatility factor.  If the contents of the bin or basket change, just change the name on the label.  No need to re-make or re-purchase something, just because your needs change.

Chalkboard paint and chalkboard vinyl will be around for many years because of this, as will dry erase options which I have also been seeing around storefronts as of late.  When pretty colored vinyl is paired with a chalkboard marker, you receive that same effect.  An adorable label now that can be easily cleaned and used again for something else later.  You can see how I initially started using that method in our pantry here.

I am always up for exploring a few DIY options when it comes to labeling, as I would much rather put my own personal twist on a label than be limited to options provided at my local stores.  Thus, the jar lid labels were born.


The process of making these was so simple that anyone could do it, and if you don't have vinyl {which you can find online or at craft stores}, you could also supplement chalkboard paint.

I started out by collecting the lids off of a few random food jars.  Certain food products will leave a slight aroma to the lid, therefore, I let them boil with lemon peels for awhile and then set them in the garage to air out for a few days.  Seemed to mask the smell for the most part.  I have also tried coffee grounds and that also works, however, I didn't have those on hand for this time around.  A safer bet would be to use lids from yummy jellies and jams instead of salsa, pickles and pasta sauce.

With the help of my hubby, he used his drill to create two holes on the lip of each lid, so that I could later string twine through for hanging.


And then out to the garage I went to give them all a quick coat of spray paint in a variety of colors.

Once they were dry, I pulled together some of my crafty supplies and tried to come up with a few ways to up the cuteness factor.


Using some craft paint, I added a little color blocking effect to a few of the lids.


I also added some washi tape to a few, which I could later pair with my clear tape and label maker.  The larger lids received different vinyl centers, which I just punched with a circle craft punch.


I didn't have the correct size punch for the smaller lids, so I ended up cutting some with my Silhouette.  You could also cut out letters for your labels with the Silhouette as well.  That thing rocks.

Here they are ready to be labeled and hung.


I decided to replace the tags on some of the baskets in my wrapping station.  I just loved the colors and effect so much!  Until I realized that my marker was dried up.  Sad face.  So, with the power of Photoshop, here is what the label could look like once I purchase a new marker.


Anyone else having fun DIY'ing cutesy labels?  What is the strangest product you have turned into an organizing object or label?

For these types of labeling projects, I recommend using an ultra fine point chalk marker similar to the one found here.

36 comments:

  1. I love all kinds of labels. These are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of old fashioned jars that say snow on them. I wanted to use them all year instead of just during the winter. I cut a label shape out of grey vinyl (looks like chalkboard paint) and used a handwriting font to cut white letters. The jars now say "snacks" and "treats". My grand kids love them, and I do too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to turn a popcorn tin into a dog food container. Every place I have looked for one are either sold out or extremely out of my price range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my popcorn tin turned dog food container! check it out on my blog here: http://melaniegetsmarried.blogspot.com/2013/08/diy-dog-food-canister.html

      Delete
  4. Love this idea! I love that I can use what I already have to make something cute and help organize me. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered this match made in heaven, too!!!! I was looking for something removable to make silhouettes for my son's bedroom walls and I found black contact paper. Then I tried my chalk pen on it. Angels sang. I now have an entire roll of the contact paper and will be promptly stealing your lid idea. I posted the silhouettes here if ya wanna check it out. http://rindymae.blogspot.com/2014/01/contact-paper-silhouettes.html
    The colored paper would be fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love this. The colorblocking is particularly cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite tutorials of yours. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love this post! You are great!
    Ciao,
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from Germany!

    Can you tell me what font you used on the last picture? ('packages')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katharina,

      The font is Always in my Heart: http://www.dafont.com/always-in-my-heart.font

      xo!

      Delete
  10. This is the cutest idea!!! I am always looking for new ways to organize and label my baskets. The hubs and I always save our old condiment jars to use for various household projects. Definitely going to try this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Totally budget friendly and resourceful. Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love! Especially the color blocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen
    I love this idea and the Martha Stewart paint is the best! How do you "erase" the marker?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to recycle and organize. I like the washi tape!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are adorable! Now you've got me saving cereal boxes and jar lids! And I was so impressed if that was your penmanship!! ;) I have to print my labels because my handwriting is not cute. Or legible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so cute! What a great idea!

    Abby
    Thepreppycoxswain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. serious DIY, ecological, and reusing genius.
    thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jen, you are amazing...

    I have been playing around with the inserts from used Ball canning lids as labels... I never thought of this... A new reason to upcycle...

    On a total tangent, are you willing to share your "bread" and "snack" labels from the pantry posts? I have been oogling them since I started thinking about the latest phase in my kitchen organization... thanks in advance if you can share these... :)

    My e-mail is carney02@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great! I save all my jars from the grocery store and find so many uses for them, but about half the time I don't have anything to do with the lids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE this idea - I am about to start working on my pantry organisation and this was great timing x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a cute idea! I must try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful!! Hey I miss those monthly organizing challenges. Just FYI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE these!!!! Jen, they are awesome and so stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these! So stylish. I'm in the process of doing a playroom and craft room (crazy I know). Love your ideas!
    Chanda
    www.pinkoatmeal.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh I'm always looking for new labeling ideas! It's so easy to get into a labeling rut. #bloggerproblems lol I will definitely have to try the vinyl + chalkboard marker method. Love! Have a great week, Jen!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun way to label things! How creative. Beautiful color combinations. I have pinned for future use! Kari

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Jen, where do I get one of those chalkboard markers? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.