Thursday, September 5, 2013

96 UHeart Organizing: A Delightfully Organized Desk

I could look at pretty, organized desk spaces every second of every day.  And it never fails that I end up running to my own desk to do a quick spruce up every time I see another sweet and tidy workspace.  No joke!  Every. Single. Time.  I spend a lot of time working at my desk, and I am so much happier and more productive when my space is smiling back at me.  I bet Megan, from Honey We're Home, is one productive chica herself.  You have got to see her incredibly inspiring workspace!  Here she is now to share.  And now I am off to do another desk spruce up!


Today I'm sharing how I keep my main work space {my home office desk} inspiring and organized.  Working at a desk where there are inspiring things helps keep my creative juices flowing and having things neat and organized helps me feel like I can sit down and get things accomplished.  This is a desk I want to sit down and work/plan/create at.


I like to keep a living plant nearby and this one from Ikea sits inside a pot that got a bit of bling with some metallic gold spray paint.  Colorful pens and markers and a beautiful set of notepads are always close at hand so I can jot down notes, make lists and store blog ideas.  Even my grocery list feels better when it's written on pretty paper. 


These notebooks were found at Target.


You don't have to keep your writing utensils in a holder specifically designated for pens and pencils, any decorative cup will do.  This chevron mug is from Mikasa and comes in other colors too.


To personalize things, I special photo of my son and a ceramic owl {my Grandma's favorite} sits on the desktop.  I printed the picture of my son {an Instagram print} at Walgreens.  It's easy to upload a picture to their website and the print will be ready in an hour.  I did the same thing with the cool photo of the tiger I found online.


I'm a big fan of washi tape and added a decorative strip of gold to my keyboard. 


A cute desk calendar is also a must.  Last month's August photo was so cute.  I also embellished it with a strip of washi tape.


Speaking of washi tape, because I'm a huge fan and use it all the time, I was storing it right on top of my desk in a cupcake stand...


...but have since relocated it to one of my desk drawers.  I like to change things up to keep it interesting and fresh.


Keeping the two inside desk drawers tidy and organized is a big help when I'm reaching for something specific.  Everything has a place.


I used acrylic drawer dividers and clear box frames to separate all my desk goodies.



Inexpensive wrapping paper in shades of pink line the drawers.  It's an extra pop of pretty that can easily be changed out.



It feels so good to keep everything clean and organized at home, even if you're dreaming of heading to the beach!  This fun gold frame was found at Target. 


Even if you don't have much space, you can make the most of the space you have by decorating and organizing it in a way that appeals and makes sense to you.  I try to keep the desktop clean by doing a big weekly clear off and keeping my files up to date.  I hope this inspires your own home desk organization! 


"My name is Megan and I am a lawyer by day, design and decor lover by night, and Mama to the sweetest 2-year old boy you've ever seen. I'm passionate about fitness (and chocolate!) and could not live without my relationships, girl talk, and my morning coffee. I've been blogging for two years over at Honey We're Home, sharing my love of keeping things organized and beautiful at our house.  My efforts to live in the moment and cook more are an adventure in progress."



96 comments:

  1. So pretty! I would love to work at your desk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Just ordered washi tape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always I love your style Megan. You have an eye for detail and color that I absolutely love. Please tell me where you found that cute calendar! I have been looking for a small one for my desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! Gosh, I don't remember where I got that cute calendar! I know it was an etsy shop but I'll have to go back and look.

      Delete
  4. Love! Gonna have to add a touch of washi tape to my keyboard (finally bought some). Loving all the pink. So want to incorporate some into my office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your idea of displaying all your washi tape on the three tiered piece is brilliant! I have to do this ;)
    Do I recognize the photo of your desk? Is it Monterrossso in Cinque Terre Italy? Looks like it! What a gorgeous place.
    Thank you for sharing all your ideas. I'm inspired to continue to organize my desk!

    Ursula, blogger at
    http://kraftmint.com
    {a journal of modern crafts}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your desk is super-cute and so organized, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute desk, this is giving me lots of ideas as my desk is still a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally love your desk set up! I would love staring at the washi tape all day on the cupcake stand, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm craving a beautifully organised desk like that - mine is always a mess and nothing has it's own place at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get everything organized when you've got a lot of projects going on, but finding a place for everything feels so rewarding.

      Delete
  10. So beautiful! I love Megan's blog and her house is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely ADORE this! I am so stealing the washy tape on the keyboard idea...And my goodness, you have a large collection of tapes. Love the display!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an impressive collection of Washi Tape! A really cute, and inspiring workspace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely organised desk, think I'd better go any have a tidy up!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you remember where you found the wrapping paper? Looking to line a bookshelf in my daughter's room and it would be PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Megan has great style :) xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful desk!! ...One Q...i see that Wishy Washy tape ppl are your sponsors...and u probably get it for Free(Lucky!)...But where would you buy Washy tape??? Do any stores in Canada have it???...Or is it mainly online stores?? TY!...Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabina!

      I do have a washi tape sponsor, however, no washi for free here. :) Also, this is Megan's desk being featured, so I can't state where she finds all of her fabulous tape, however, I love me some washi as well. I purchase a lot of mine on Etsy and through wishywashi.com {because although they are a sponsor, I totally love to support them right back!}.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Yes! After I wrote this comment I realized it wasn't you who wrote it, duh!...Aw man they totally should give u some washi tape for free! ...I've learned about it from your blog!...But I get that you wanna support them also...;)

      Thanks for info on where to buy it!

      xoxo Sabina

      Delete
    3. I've bought my tape at wishywashy.com and cutetape.com and Target.

      Delete
  17. Amazing Washi Tape collection! Super Jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Where did you get the giant push pins? Your drawers are soooo wide...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am inspired to clean out and update my desk! Looks like a really inspiring work space!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where did you get your desk itself?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought the desk was pretty, clean, and elegant. Then you opened the drawers and I heard harps playing. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harps playing! That's a perfect description. When I saw the inside of the desk drawers I just melted... I WANT THAT!

      Delete
  22. Can you tell me where you got your white desk with the big drawers? I've been looking for one for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This completely inspired me!!! Can I ask where you found your beach pic? Is this something I could find on pinterest? I collect pretty beach shots :) (I'm always dreaming of the beach!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found it on Pinterest. You can check my "art" board.

      Delete
  24. Loving the drawer organizers! Any chance you remember where they came from?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Container Store and Michaels for the clear box frames.

      Delete
  25. Love everything about her desk!! Its so organized and fun!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great space! Where did you get the Remarks label pads? Love your notebooks, have a growing collection myself.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Desk is super pretty!!! One thing though...downloading and printing a photo from the internet is technically copyright infringement and illegal. I know it's online and easy to find and download and no one ever knows, but it is illegal and it makes things hard on artists who are trying to make a living selling their work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree Katy! Great point! It is always important to download either from individuals sharing freebies {as you can find great art online for free} or to purchase directly from the artist {Etsy has a ton of really great prints at decent prices}.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  28. I love your desk and organization Megan! Where did you get your desk?I love it and would love to buy one like it! Also, do you just tape the wrapping paper to the inside of your drawers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desk is from Z Gallerie. I did not tape the paper down so that it could easily be removed.

      Delete
  29. Love your desk. My problem is that I would probably not be able to keep it that way. All the kids want to use my desk and they don't always clean up afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OOOH, it's all so pretty! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your desk organization. It inspires me to work more if I had your desk. Always a fan of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the space! And I can appreciate how much work and control it must take to keep things so simple. My desk space (both home and work) need a bit of TLC, and this is just the inspiration I need. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, this does inspire me! Not only is Megan super organized and tidy, it is so colorful and fun. Makes it a happy desk to sit and get some work done. I love that collection of washi tape! I need to start and pick up a few. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! I love her color palette and her inventive storage solutions. Clean, bright, and happy is what I am striving for with my teeny tiny workspace and this is some fun, fresh inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Amy, you don't need a big space, just a space of your own. :)

      Delete
  35. One day, Megan, I aspire to have such a beautiful, organized office. Until then, I will just stare at yours lovingly.
    :)

    Annie XO

    ReplyDelete
  36. The white cupcake stand for all that pretty washi tape is too cute! It's also nice in the drawer but I can see how having more desktop space to work might win over.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I serious love Megan's desk! Can we talk about office envy? She has a beautiful setup, I'd spend all day in that space! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sooo pretty! I would work all the time with all the pretty-ness going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so amazing. I feel like I could really get more done in a space so perfectly organized. And that washi tape!!! Oy, so much tape! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Like the others I really want to know where the desk is from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the Jett desk from ZGallerie. I purchased mine after seeing Megan's a few years ago.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lauren, that's right! I know you love yours too. :)

      Delete
  41. I just "pimped out" my keyboard with washi tape too after seeing this. I did it with teal and orange--I am just loving that color combo right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fun color combo! The cool thing is you can just peel it up and start over when you want a change.

      Delete
  42. Love the Cinque Terre photo...it's one of my favorite places. I should add one to my office. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Am I the only one that noticed that on the calendar Thursday is represented by an "R"? What's up with that? lol

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a gorgeous work space! Nice to see such organization, my claim to fame and total obsession :) Love the accessories and Martha Stewart labels too! I've lined my desk drawers with awesome Macbeth Collection shelf liner and recently (your photo's were good inspiration!!) purchased about 18 rolls of washi tape on Etsy. Can't wait to receive them in the mail! :) Soon I'll need a storage unit to hold them all! Wooo!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi! J'adore your desk Megan! Too bad the desk in my office has no drawers, I had to buy a small plastic drawer but it works just fine. Now I can use some of these ideas to girl-it up a little. I Love the way you mixed colors and patterns, it gives that special touch of personality to things. Besides I think our work space says a lot of who we are. Looking forward to see more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Desks inspire us to write/work/craft more! Amazing work on laying out everything out in such a pretty way!
    You are so pretty, btw. You remind me so much of Jo (Alon Tal) from Supernatural! <3

    ReplyDelete
  47. Where did you get that fabulous rug? love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I just ordered 5 rolls of washi tape! I can't wait to get it.
    & your office|desk is ADORABLE. I would love to work there.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello!

    Where did you purchase the desk? I'm currently in the process of creating an office space in our living room and I'm looking for desks. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Megan, I think you are the worlds biggest washi tape fanatic. You're a darn expert. #workspacegoals LOVE your keyboard!

    Gena F | Vantaggio HR

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.