Friday, September 6, 2013

59 Closet Office Makeover - Mission Accomplished!

Last weekend, we began a little desk refresh for our oldest son.  With school right around the corner, it was my goal to give him a place he would enjoy spending hours of his time reading and studying.  I had two goals, to give it a bit of sophistication and organization.  Here is where we left off:


I want to make sure that Preston's room is something that Preston and I both like.  Although he is still a youngster, it doesn't mean that his room needs to be themed and juvenile.  Because as much as the thought of him maturing and entering high school within the next two years scares the boogies out of me, it's a fact that it will happen.  No amount of babying him and pleading with him is going to keep him from growing and turning into a teenager.  Sigh....

And this kid looooves his closet nook.  It is his favorite spot in the home, so it is important that he not only continues to adore and utilize his space, it has to be easy peasy to organize.

The first step was to assess the purpose of the space, and ultimately, he and I both agreed that this is for homework, drawing, writing and studying only.  Not for Lego building or puzzles.  Those items would be addressed in other ways within the playroom and his bedroom.

The next step was to sort through everything that was previously in the closet.  This was a HUGE wake up call for both Preston and I.  When I originally created the space for this closet, I gave it too many functions.  It was trying to take on too much, making it a cluttered and confused space.  And I put in too many organizing systems, half which were not used.  Yep, wake up call Jen, you can have too many organizing systems!  Like whoa.

So after cleaning out every nook and cranny within his room, and coming up with a huge donate pile and another trash bag full of recyclables and trash {I have a stuffer on my hands you guys, he cleans his room by stuffing under his bed, behind his dresser and in every corner he can find...}, I was able to start with less.  And only items that either have oodles of meaning, or oodles of function.  Here it is now...


I could have gone crazy and stuck all sorts of organizers inside all of those panels, however, I had to hold myself back.  What would we gain?  Clutter?  Ineffective storage solutions?  Would we be just be doing something for the sake of doing it?  In the end, he didn't need a ton of storage on his wall.  And I wanted those panels to pop and shine.  


Aside from the three absolutely incredible paneled walls, we did a few other super simple DIY projects.

First, we took a store bought paper tray {which I found at Target}, and turned it into a charging station.  I figure if Nate Berkus approves, Preston will as well.


We started by finding a grommet that was large enough to fit Preston's phone charging cord.  Once we found the grommet, we had to find a drill bit that was equally as large.  Once we had the right bit, we drilled a hole into the back of the paper tray.


Next, we used a grommet setting kit to give the hole a nice finished edge.


The paper tray holds his phone on top, and extra loose leaf paper and a few homework supplies below.


Oh, and the crayon holder is actually a measuring cup I had been using to hold washi tape in my studio.  I liked it better in this space.


DIY number two was a wall organizer.  I could have done traditional peg board, but I wanted to create something a little more stylish, that could also double as storage.  It wouldn't need to hold much, but could offer easy access to a few supplies, and give him a place to display some of his favorite photographs.


To create the organizer, I stained a few pieces of trim, and once dry, my handy hubby ran the bottom edge of each piece, through his table saw.


We slid some metal radiator grate {which we found at Home Depot}, inside each piece of trim, to frame it out.  A few staples on each corner hold the frame together.


To add extra support to the frame, we also added some brass brackets to the front.  Both the grate and the brackets came in a brass finish, and I almost spray painted them.  But since mixing and matching finishes adds a little extra somethin' somethin' to any space, I left them alone.


To hang the organizer, we added a claw photo hanger to the upper back, and also added some Picture Hanging Command Strips to the bottom {to keep it sturdy and tight to the wall panel}.


A few things to note about this super fantastic project.  I would not recommend doing this on a grand scale, as I don't believe the grate is strong enough to hold a lot of weight without bending or buckling.  Also, only peg pieces with a longer backing or added support, will work within the grate, as the holes of the grate are a smidge larger than standard peg board holes.  Otherwise, it turned out absolutely perfect.  Lovity love.

The rest is about the small details.  I spray painted a basket, which I felt resembled a basket you would see holding baseballs long ago, with a deep navy color.  It is now used as his wastebasket.


Boxes received label holders and labels.  The boxes were ones we already had, mostly cheap options from IKEA, and one which came with one of my Silhouette kits {those are always the best boxes}.



The clip board is for Preston to clip up his weekly and monthly school logs for reading and music.  That way they never get lost in the shuffle.  The clipboard was originally a simple wood finish, and I added contact paper over the top to give it a little character and pattern.


I really wanted to leave the surface and wall as clutter free as possible.  Only some of the basics are there now, which leaves him plenty of space to spread out and get to work...


The task light was another item we already had, we just moved it to the opposite side of the closet.  It offers flexible and focused lighting during darker hours of the day.


The chair is one I originally used in my office, and it was comfortable for shorter periods of time, however, I didn't love it after eight or more hours of use.  So, last year I gifted it to Preston and he has been enjoying it ever since.  I love that the nail-head trim adds a masculine touch to his closet space.


In the end, Preston and I are both over the moon in love with his desk refresh!


Simple, organized and sophisticated.  I think he is set up to have a very successful school year!


This weekend we are hoping to finish up a little DIY puzzle storage solution, so stay tuned to see how we are addressing that issue next.

Have a happy weekend and...

59 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic Jen! Something he can definitely grow with. Love the paper tray turned charging station.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I wish I had something like this when I was in school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! I would have loved something like this! #luckykid

      Delete
  3. It's wonderful, and yes, definitely something he can grow with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this Jen and I'm sure Preston does too...I have the same style chair in my office and love it..Great Job...as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about this is so smart. I'll be doing something similar to this in my new apartment thanks to the great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No surprise, it's completely stunning! Quick question, I've always wondered when people make closets into work-spaces... does your son have a dresser to fit all his clothes?

    Thanks, looks great.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy!
      My son just uses a nearby dresser for his clothes, and has a few hooks behind his door to hang items if necessary as well. :) You can see the dresser here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2012/06/conquering-clothing-clutter-kids.html

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
    2. I love it but I don't think I could do it in my girl's room. She has quite a few hanging clothes. Would you ever do this in a girl's room?

      Delete
    3. Hi Sharon!

      I think the reason the desk in a closet works is because it is tucked away and exciting. Kids love love love nooks, so if he finds a place he enjoys doing homework, I am all for it. I think girls would be the same, but since they have longer dresses and skirts and more hanging clothes, I would make sure there is room for an armoire of some sort to replace the closet.

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous job, Jen! Thanks for the inspiration! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a perfect use of the space!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish that could be my office! Nice work! :) I admire all of your creativity. I would've never thought about the accessible frame organizer - adds such great function to the space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great Jen! Plus if he ever wants to add photos to his wall he has built in frames :)

    Melissa
    GottaLoveDIY.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So well done! The board where you hang school supplies is brilliant! Thank you for sharing. Just reading your blog I get giddy about organizing!
    Ursula
    blogger at
    http://kraftmint.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great workspace! I'm filing the idea away for when I have my own home someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is much better than how it looked before :) Really good job :) You are really good at what you are doing in your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is so perfect and will grow with him and I love that you include him in the process, very important, I even ask my toddlers what they would like to see in their room and they tell me and then say oh mummy we love it.. I love creating independence and decision making with our children.. very important.. love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nicely done Jen! Great space for him to call his own. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband and I are nearly finished doing this same thing with my daughter's closet....love how it's turning out! Love the wall treatment you did! Quick question....did you install outlets in the closet for the lighting and charging station? If not, how did you resolve that issue? Struggling to come up with a good solution for that. Thanks and congrats...looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie!

      Yes, we installed a wall outlet in there awhile back {when we did the closet desk the first time around}. It was the best solution for us as we could add lighting and he can charge his electronics.

      And YAY for a new desk space for your daughter! So much fun!!

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  17. Great job. I loved this project when you posted it the first time and have been thinking since then of doing this with my son's closet. Well, today - before revisiting your site (which, sadly I've ignored for a while) I asked my almost 11 year old if he would like a desk. I got an emphatic YES! So, I hobbled (stress fractured foot in a brace) over to the computer to search up the original post and lo and behold you had a fresh post with EXACTLY what I was going to show him. He LOVES it. I'll be sure to take some before and after photos...he somehow convinced hubby to go to the store and buy the shelving that is needed to complete this product. We may do a little skidaddle to IKEA later today to find him a chair. If it's up to him, this project will be done today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to hear! Glad you were able to see it, and sorry to hear about your foot!

      Have fun at Ikea! ;)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  18. Looks great! I love that nail head trim chair!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks amazing, girlfriend!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks beautiful! I love how clean and simple it is but offers so much function!

    Blessings,
    Kayla
    K.R Dixon Designs
    http://adelightfulplacetodwell.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love! Where did you get those shelves? How much weight do they hold? I'm wanting shelves just like that above my own desk so I'd love to know. Also, where does Preston keep all of the stuff that would normally go in a closet? Thanks and love your blog! Happy weekend!
    -Sandy
    sj_unk@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy!

      I found them at IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70159100/?query=701.591.00

      They used to carry them in the walnut finish {which is what we have}, but I believe the black/brown is super similar.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  22. Oh, my. I heart watching you organize. =D We're finally in the organization phase of making our home our own, so I'll be perusing your site regularly for your stellar ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. is the gold a foil you cut with the silhouette or a grate from hobby lobby etc? I could not tell- it's all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly!

      I found it at Home Depot - it is similar to this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Building-Products-3-ft-x-3-ft-Aluminum-Mill-Cloverleaf-Sheet-57166/202091746?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1-1-_-NA-_-202091746-_-N#.UiwUzLyE76s

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  24. Great job yall! It looks gorgeous. I have to admit that I felt slightly lightheaded when you said there could actually be to many organizers. A few slow, deep breaths later I recovered, but still....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I know, never thought those words would leave my mouth. However, it just goes to prove, even with storage, sometimes less is more! :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  25. Brilliant as always Jen! And I have to say that this is by far THE cutest pegboard I have ever seen *drool*... might have to try that one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how your project turned out! Looks great, and I'm already looking forward to your puzzle storage solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great looking work station. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! I was unconvinced by the panels when you first mentioned them, because panels make me think of old English mansions. Which is not necessarily a bad thing but also not appropriate for every space/style. However my armchair opinion (lol!) is that they look great here and really make the space pop. If it makes you feel, I was the worlds worst 'stuffer' at aged 12. It drove my mom crazy but fast forward to aged 26 (gulp...) and I am more organized than she is! So there is hope for Preston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      And I can totally understand a 12 year old being a stuffer. They have so many other things they would rather be doing than picking up their bedroom. Glad there may be hope for him yet ;)

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  29. This looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is awesome, Jen! I LOVE that pegboard!

    By the way, I'm having a giveaway on my blog for a gorgeous turquoise necklace. You might like it...

    http://anniehearts.com/blog/giveaways/giveaway-turquoise-necklace

    Annie XO

    ReplyDelete
  31. "The clipboard was originally a simple wood finish, and I added contact paper over the top to give it a little character and pattern."

    can u please detail this step dear jen..i have one and dunno how to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fizah!

      I just placed the contact paper over the top of the board, and used a utility knife {a craft knife would work as well} to trace around the edge of the clipboard.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
    2. ok noted!..knife is the trick..thanks a lot jen! will try to apply! :)

      Delete
  32. I love how it has a simplistic look yet has everything he needs! Awesome job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks lovely! But if Preston is righthander, the light should come from the left side (because of the shadow, which the writing hand makes). You had this solution before, but now, it comes from the right side.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It looks amazing Jen! I have a Preston too, and we just built a desk for him in his room this weekend :) Still needed some finishing touches, for which I'm closely studying your pictures for inspiration! Love it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how it fits his needs and is still such a nice space to look at! You did a great job of making it both mom and son friendly!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow Jen, that panelled wall makes ALL the difference in this space! It totally makes the space feel much more grown up and less like a closet! Way to go, I'm always so inspired by your posts.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is such a great space, you always add such great small details that give the whole look such a punch. What a lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks great! Thanks for all the great tips and inspiration!
    http://youngnasawife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just LOVE everything about this! You guys did such a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this idea! One question, where do you store clothes that need to be hung up?

    Elizabeth M.
    http://acupacup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth!

      My son just uses a nearby dresser for his clothes, and has a few hooks behind his door to hang items if necessary as well. :) You can see the dresser here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2012/06/conquering-clothing-clutter-kids.html

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  41. Holy crow. This is amazing, Jen. Every last detail. I am dying over the radiator brilliance. Everything you touch turns out so perfect. And that paneled wall! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oooh it is so chic! I love the DIY charging station and organizer-- they add so much to the space! And the little pops of chevron here and there really help to tie the space together. Love, love, LOVE it! Hope you're having a wonderful week, Miss Jen!

    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jen, The paneled wall looks amazing!!! I seriously need you and Brian to come over and work some magic on our closets :)

    There is so much to love about this entire transformation, but I seriously had hearts in my eyes when I saw how you used the grommets to make the phone charging station. Genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love this and its so decluttered yet practical.
    very stylish indeed and any adult would love this as a mini office

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.