Thursday, August 29, 2013

38 UHeart Organizing: Sew Cool Remote Caddy

Oh my goodness guys, I couldn't be more giddy about today!

I have always felt like there was a little somethin' somethin' missing around here.  And for me, that was good sewing projects and ideas, that can be used for organizing.  That is mostly because my sewing machine and I haven't taken our relationship to the next level yet....  but why should y'all have to suffer because I like to take things nice and slow?

That is why I have added a new gal pal to my IHeart Contributing team!  Please give a warm welcome to Palak, who is the author of Make it Handmade.

I am excited to have her here today, sharing her first sewing project with us.  It is something that looks simple enough that even I could do, and it is something that we personally could benefit within our own home.  Here she is now to share more!


Hi, IHeart Organizing Readers! I can't tell you how absolutely thrilled I am to be here and sharing a sewing tutorial with you all. I'm Palak and I sew {and blog about it} over at Make It Handmade. I also run a frugal sewing site called Sewistry.com .

We are big football fans, which means that we watch more tv over the weekends than I care to admit. We are constantly losing our remotes on the counter, in the toy bin, and the worst-- in the couch cushions.

I came up with this remote control pillow to keep those remote controls right on the couch-- but out of sight.


Even if you've never sewn a stitch before, you can make this fun little pillow-- I promise. Pillows are a great beginner project. This tutorial will walk you through step by step, and if you get stuck; you can always email me and I'll do my best to help you out.

I've also created a compilation of free sewing tutorials especially for I Heart Organizing Readers. If you've never used a sewing machine before, this series of tutorials will walk you through the basics of sewing. You'll have this pillow made in no time!


Materials
  • 3 Fat Quarters
  • 1 14" Pillow Form 
  • Sewing Machine & Supplies

    Let's Sew!

    Step 1:  Decide which fabric you'd like to use for the pocket side of the pillow, and which you'd like to use for the pretty side.


    Cut each fat quarter into a 15x15 square.

    Step 2:  Fold the pocket piece in half, wrong sides together and topstitch 1/8 inch away from the fold.


    Step 3:  Place the pocket piece on the right side of the pillow back. Using your remotes as a guide; mark out where the pocket needs to be divided, and topstitch in place.


    Step 4:  Place the remaining square {pillow front} right sides together with the pillow back. Sew around 3 sides of the pillow as shown.


    Turn the pillow right side out through the little opening. Iron the pillow case out very well and then insert the pillow form into the pillow. The best way to finish the pillow is to hand sew the opening shut. For a super easy invisible stitch, check out my Magic Stitch Tutorial. If you are more adventurous, you can add an invisible zipper instead.

    Now you have your very own, one of kind, customized throw pillow with attached remote control caddy.

    To use, simply place the remote controls in the pockets to store. {Don't forget to tell your family where they are!}


    Turn the pillow pretty side out when your mother in law comes over.


    Thank you for having me Jen! I hope some of you give this a try. To check out some of my other DIY tutorials {sewing and otherwise} head on on over to Make It Handmade!






    "I'm Palak-- a slightly sleep deprived mom who has loved sewing, knitting and crochet for her whole life.  When I’m not chasing after my two rambunctious kids, or sitting behind my sewing machine, I write about my DIY exploits at my blog, Make It Handmade. I also own Sewistry, a site dedicated to stretching our sewing dollars with money saving projects, product review and buying guides.  Although organizing doesn’t come naturally to me, I’ve been inspired by Jen and her blog to find the joy in making my home beautiful and functional. I’m transforming my home one room at a time and using my sewing machine every chance I get! I’m simply elated to be able share sewing projects for your home as part of the IHeart team! "


    38 comments:

    1. I love this, this is such a cute idea, in our house we are always loosing the remotes!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks With A Sparkle! This really has helped around here. :)

        Delete
    2. That's genius! Our remotes are always floating around or cluttering up the end table.

      ReplyDelete
    3. This is the best way I've seen to hide the remotes! What a fantastic idea!

      ReplyDelete
    4. This is such perfect timing. I have been wanting to dig into my fabric stash (having made the decision to USE it rather than give it all away), but I was intimidated because I can barely sew a straight line. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lisa, This is a perfect stash project-- you can also piece squares if you want to use scraps!

        Delete
    5. This is such a great idea! I wonder how long it would take my 2 year old to figure out where they are.

      ~ Megan

      ReplyDelete
    6. I am super excited to have sewing tutorials part of your team! Welcome to this happy place!

      ReplyDelete
    7. What a cool idea! I can't wait to check out your blog. Thanks, Jen, for the introduction!

      ReplyDelete
    8. OMG, genius. What a great idea. I don't think I've ever seen a remote pillow. I think I may have to sew one.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Love this. There's always so many things running around in the living room... I like being able to consolidate them! Beautiful.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Very cool! Great idea for inexpensive, yet thoughtful gift giving too!

      ReplyDelete
    11. YAY!!! Welcome to the team, Palak!! I am SO excited to start learning your tutorials! My grandmother gave me her sewing machine last summer & the most I've done so far involved designing a little "Sew-phisticated" illustration & figuring out how to organize everything. Not a stitch sewn yet, but it sure looks pretty on the shelf, lol!! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. I can't wait to check out your blog! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Casey! How lucky to get a machine from your grandmother! I do hope that you give sewing a try-- it's so much fun!

        Delete
    12. I love it, so cute and very handy!! Pillows are easy to make. I think the hardest thing about sewing is loading the bobbin, but I use a really old machine that was my mothers before I was even born. Maybe its easier on new machines?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Brian, It is-- I had a front loading bobbin that I dreaded changing for years. Many newer machines have drop in bobbins that are much easier.

        Delete
      2. I feel your pain. Bobbins are weird and, frankly, scary. They hide underneath- where you can't see them- and then they do things that make you swear. They run out of thread right at critical moments and behind your back they laugh at you. They are sneaky and not to be trusted.

        Delete
    13. Love this! Thank you for sharing Palak with us Jen!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Awesome idea, and it is just as pretty as functional. Pinned it!!

      ReplyDelete
    15. That is such an awesome idea! I really need to make this for my husband because we have so many remotes and are always losing them! So cute!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing the simple how to instructions.

      ReplyDelete
    17. Palek! I am so excited to check out more of your projects, because I LOVE this! We lose our remotes constantly, so this would be perfect. I am also a beginner sewist, but I think I may be able to handle this one! Thanks for sharing, Palek and Jen!!

      ~Abby =)

      ReplyDelete
    18. Why didn't I think of this??? Awesome- thanks for the great idea and the tutorial!

      ReplyDelete
    19. This is such a prefect idea and perfect project! I hate how I can never find the remote

      Lauren,
      http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    20. Thank you so much guys!!! It's absolutely thrilling to see that so many of ya'll like this project!

      ReplyDelete
    21. I love this! But some questions. How much room do you leave around the remote do you can get it in without a struggle but also so it doesn't fall out? And you lost me at "fat quarters". How big is a fat quarter? Thanks! Eliza

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm sorry! I should have explained! A fat quarter is about 17 x22 inches. Many fabric shops, craft shops (and even Wal Mart, in my area) will sell them individually so it's an economical way to get the 3 prints you need for this project. I left about a half inch around each remote. I hope that helps, Eliza!

        Delete
    22. You have me inspired to learn how to sew Palak! Such a brilliant idea :)

      ReplyDelete
    23. Very cute. Now...if I don't tell my husband, perhaps the channel will change every time he sits down. Then I can convince him our tv is haunted, thus - of course - we need a bigger one.

      See that? Pillow may have just bought me a new tv.

      ReplyDelete
    24. Such a cute, easy idea. I was actually going to be making some new pillow covers for my living room this week - and I'm definitely going to add pockets!

      ReplyDelete
    25. Omg u changed ur pic Jen! :)

      ReplyDelete
    26. Ok, I desperately need one of these! Thanks for the idea!

      ReplyDelete
    27. Thank You,thank you,thank you ! Great idea,My husband will thank you also because he's the one that has to FIND the remote every day !!!

      ReplyDelete
    28. Thanks for the great idea. I just finished the pillow but mine's a knitted one. Thanks again for the inspiration. Blessings xx

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

    All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.