Tuesday, August 6, 2013

61 Bathroom Makeover Week! Day One!

Less than one week.  That is all I have to update a dated and non-functioning bathroom.

We have always had a guest bathroom off of our guest bedroom.  It is located in a deep dark corner of the house and often times completely forgotten about.  Until we host company and give it a good scrubbing and stock the towels.  But I think there is a bigger reason we tend to forget about it.  It lacks personality.  Love.  Character.


It really doesn't feel like "us" or blend with the rest of our home.  And still sports every basic builder selected option you can imagine; linoleum flooring, formica counter, cheapo faucet, open door mirrored vanity with attached vanity bulbs....

We recently donated the vanity to a my in-law's retirement home, so we have been without any light in this bathroom for quite a few weeks now.  Oh.  And I forgot to mention.  The toilet stopped working.  And gives off an unpleasant odor.  Sorry for the TMI.

And guess what is the best part of this superawesomeyouknowyouarejealous bathroom?  We have company coming to stay with us in less than a week.  Yep!  So not cool.

This bathroom needs love.  And stat!

So that is what we are going to do.  Welcome to Bathroom Makeover Week!

One thing that I think has gotten lost in blogging is the real time, chatting about home improvement projects as they go feeling.  The sharing of every mistake, every change, the moments when you want to cry and the times you jump up and down like a crazy happy smiley person.

So I am bringing blogging back.  I don't care if the photos are "pin worthy" or if everything is staged perfectly.  This is our real life home, and our real life bathroom story.  Our first ever bathroom renovation.  We have absolutely no idea what we are doing and will be learning and sharing real time as we go.   Are you ready?


Monday - Day One:

Upon flying in from Haven, we realized that we had less than a week until our company arrived.  Time to get moving!

A few months ago we decided that ultimately the toilet in this bathroom would have to be replaced.  We also figured it was the right time to update the flooring as well, since the toilet would already be pulled out.  So we had already purchased the floors and toilet, and it has been patiently waiting in our garage for install.

I knew that since the toilet and flooring were going to be replaced, that I would also want to update the walls.  The color was actually really pretty, but it was a little dark for what I had in mind.  Speaking of what I have in mind.  Do you want to see the inspiration I put together for the space?


Of course, everything could change {and knowing me, it will a smidge}, however, it all started with the floors paired with the beautiful, colorful shower curtain I found this past weekend at World Market. 

I am hoping to bring in natural elements, happy colors and a mixture of finishes.  In the photo above you can also see the flooring we will be installing {it is the same that we put in throughout our lower level}.

First step was to run to our local Home Depot for some paint.  Painting always gets me SO excited for the rest of the room updates.  So I set out to find the perfect color.  And then I shared on Instagram that I was being picky about names.


Igloo was a close contender for the walls, but it made me think of an ice chest.  What guest wants to head to the frozen tundra to use the bathroom and take a relaxing shower?  So, Quietude it was.  {Psssst, the definition of Quietude is, "The state or condition of being quiet, peaceful, calm, or tranquil."  Totally what I am going for in this space!}

Ready to get started, I thought we should Google tips on removing a toilet, but my hubby ain't got time for that.  By the time I started typing www, he already had it taken out.  For those that know the right thing is to do your research first, you can find the detailed How To here.

To remove the toilet, my handy hubby turned off the water, manually flushed it a few times to empty the tank and also plunged the toilet bowl dry.  Once it was empty, he unscrewed the two bolts and lifted it straight to the nearby shower stall.  Once the toilet was removed, a rag was stuffed in the drain opening to prevent gasses from rising and anything from falling inside.

And then I was left with this....


Yep, ew.  The floor was not OK.


And that is a quick shot looking back.  The vanity with a lack of mirror and lighting.  The photos for this entire post were lit by a plugged in table lamp.  Pretty fancy eh?

Behr's Quietude is a super light gray with a tiny hint of blue undertone in it.  I went with the paint and primer in one combo thinking I was going to knock this bathroom out in one quick swoop!  Wahooooooo!

But before I could pull out the party hats and call it a night....  I lost the battle to the darker paint.  And I forgot how much I disliked painting a glossy sheen on top of another glossy sheen {I use Satin finish in a bathroom to ensure the walls can be easily cleaned}.  It is slippery so the paint doesn't adhere as well.  Round One - Bathroom.


I will say, it was really nice slapping the paint up without worrying about the trim or floors.  Yep, next step will be to remove all that old painted oak trim, so I just painted right up to it, and on it.

So, after thinking I was going to be done by 11 last night.  I wasn't.  I checked a few emails, thought about going to bed, but decided that I should be a good girl, keep the process going, and start a second coat of paint around 1:00 a.m.  This time, I won.


I still have a few touch ups, but I am pretty gosh darn excited about this progress already!  The new color is so much brighter and is a nice fresh slate for the rest of the color it is about to get hit with!


I know you want to Pin the picture above.  I will wait.  I kid, I kid!  Real life isn't always pretty.

Oh!  And see how yellow that floor is?  12 years ago that floor was a brilliant white.  And after weekly moppings and even another scrub down right before this picture, you can see that it really didn't age well.  And a few days from now, it will be bye bye!


So day one is done and I am about to head back to the bathroom to start on day two projects.

Today's goals:
  • Remove all trim
  • Install new light fixture
  • Prep the old floor for the new floor
  • Prime the vanity

I will check in again tomorrow with another update.  This week will be soap opera suspense type stuff I tell ya!

61 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    I'm a long time reader, first time commenter but felt this deserved a comment. I have admired and lusted over your blog/home/life for a long time and seeing this had made me realise you are a normal woman like the rest of us! I have built my home based on canny shopping, hard work and a lot of time and you clearly are the same. Good on you for showing the not so pretty steps of the transformation, it'll make the end result look all the more impressive. More like this please!!

    Josephine xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josephine! Our house absolutely is not picture perfect! It's aging and "lived in" and still has all sorts of work to come. :)

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  2. I'm on the edge of my seat! Looks great so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would be the one still at it into the wee hours of the morning just because...It looks great so far Jen. And, I am sure will be amazing by week's end. Thanks for keeping it real. Love the new shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for "bringing blogging back" as you said so well. I'm still in my blog's infancy, but I feel like some of my scheduled posts lack a certain personality and are harder to relate to. While scheduled posts ARE necessary to keeping your sanity, it's nice to occasionally see real time projects, especially when the photos aren't pin-perfect. Personally, I'm a fan of keeping it real with the nitty gritty!

    PS LOVE that shower curtain!

    Andrea @ http://www.ProjectSimpleHome.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are keeping it real. The paint makes a huge difference already. It looks bigger and more open. Can't wait to see what you do on day 2. :)
    P.S. I have to ask... what is the tattoo on your foot? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice attention to detail! It is a small flower. I have had it for years. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  6. How exciting! I'm pumped to see this happen in real time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh i love that shower curtain!! My bathroom is in need of some love too. i can't wait to see what you have planned. How do you do this after a weekend away and getting over a cold....YOU Are Superwoman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Not quite. Just powering through and super motivated... I am sure I will crash and burn just in time for the weekend. :D

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  8. I cant wait to see how it looks all done! Knowing you it's going to look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing real life pictures! I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment and making those pictures seem glamorous or "pin-able" is impossible!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck! And hooray for real time blogging. :)

    We used to have the same flooring in our kitchen except in pink. And curling up and covered in paint splatters. It felt so good to kick it to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done ~ I also love how you finished up painting the walls in the wee hours ~ I do stuff like that all too often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exciting!! Thanks for sharing the process too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, yay a bathroom makeover! We're making over our bathroom at the moment, so this is very timely. Our makeover is less intensive, since luckily the old tiled floor is in decent condition, but as it's the only bathroom in the house it's going to be fun trying to pretty it up while minimising downtime. For once I'm grateful that the toilet is at the other end of the house! (Things I never thought I'd say).

    I can't wait to see how your bathroom comes out, I love the wall colour and the shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahooo! Best of luck to you as you work on the bathroom! And so awesome you were able to save the tile!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  14. Love bathroom makeovers! I can't wait to see what's to come!
    Love the color you chose, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the real life blogging! I think it will look great, although I really liked it before!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the real time blogging and the messiness of this project. Thanks for being genuine with this and also for the flip flop picture. It's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love where you're going with this makeover. Can't wait to see more of the progress! Blogging in "real time" is so fun and suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually like the wire shelf above where the toilet used to be. Are you planning to use that in the new and improved bath? It looks like you accomplished alot for the first day of a bath remodel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet, but I think it might go to our local Habitat store. It is really visually busy with the shelf and we really never used it for much. That bathroom has storage overload, especially considering it is just for guests.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  19. Ooh I can't wait to see it! Love the "before" and "progress" pics- it will make the after pics look even better! Good luck, and for goodness sake don't stay up so late! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what can I say? This girl loves to paint! :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  20. Gotta love when having people over gives you the adrenaline needed to get a job done.
    While on a much smaller level, I rearranged my living room before having people over.
    In two weeks we have a family dinner and for some reason I want my house perfect. I've been in the garden trimming and weeding and going through closets and cabinets in the house. Yeah for the organization bug.
    Also, I love these posts. Nothing like watching it in real time.
    Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO very much like that. Anytime we entertain for larger family events, I get extra crazy about furniture, organizing and cleaning. And then I sit back and really enjoy it once the company leaves. :) Have a great time with your family dinner!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  21. I'm loving this weeklong series!!!! that shower curtain is gorgeous, looking forward to seeing it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As excited as I am to see it, I also can honestly say that I wish my bathroom could be "builder boring" like your beginning. I would take the ugly, yellowed floor and builder basic everything over everything in my bathroom. My house is pushing 90 years old (if not already) and although I know what's in there isn't that old, it's been remodeled over the years and one, there's no character, and two, it's hideous. I hope that some day I will be able to give it a makeover that requires everything down to the studs to then make it pretty like you are doing. I look forward to what you can do, I love the change of the paint already!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks so much better already!! And that shower curtain is so happy! Loving the real time updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great to see some non-pin worthy photos! Makes me feel better about my bedroom before pictures from this week...

    Good choice on the paint colour. It looks so much bigger now!

    {lamourcheznous.com}

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was really surprised about paint color. I thought for sure you would choose a green. I like the color you chose but I thought for sure you would have a green to look like the background of those jungle flowers - jungle to me anyway. But then I'm the one who grew 8-foot banana plants in my bedroom to prowl through. :) so I shouldn't be surprised at the differences in our opinions. Our new house does not have a new set of banana trees in the pool room yet but that curtain is making my itchy growing finger to bring back those trees as a background to my orchids right in the corner nearest the hot tub. Mmmm you have sent the inspiration vibes out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love greens too! However, our adjoining guest bedroom is done in blues and grays so I wanted to keep a little consistency. But also add in some fun color since it is such a small space.

      Love that the shower curtain inspired your green thumb!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  26. Lucky for you..you can do work your self. I have friends coming to stay in 10 days and have started a major clear out of spare room- which frequently becomes the dumping place for all clear outs from rest of house! Just thinking this morning how I would love to update my 26 year old shower room too! will follow your blog with interest! haha Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are fortunate that we love to get our hands dirty and try to take things on. Hopefully that doesn't get us in trouble and we can get it all done in time. :)

      Have fun with your friends!!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  27. I am going to love this week-- a sneak peak into how the "Jen Master" works. ;-) I recently painted our master bedroom a very similar colour...and I LOVE it! Although, my husband (luckily) removed the trip before I painted...which left some not very nice, gaping holes in the walls! Here's hoping that your freshly painted walls fare better with the trim removal!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sure this is going to be another beautiful room! Can't wait to read Chapter 2 of this soap opera!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love your blog. You're the organizing queen, but you're also so real :) Thanks for the down to earth post, I can't wait to see the end result. You have such a gift for sprucing spaces up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So exciting!!! And I love the shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Jen,

    I've been following your blog for quite sometime and this is my first comment! I love that you've decided to bring real time blogging back! It's going to be exciting to see the transformation as you do it! I love your style and your plan for the outcome of this bathroom! I've always been an organizer myself and your blog gives me inspiring ideas that keep my creativity going! I'd love to see more posts like this!

    -Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you soooo much for your blog! I AMA much happier person because I'm able to make the changes I want to see in my home. You have literally made it possible for me to have the courage to go out to Lowes and buy paint and tools. Thank you thank you! With that said, I swear we have the same model of house except that I'm in Oregon and you in NC?! Anyhow, I just painted my kitchen & dining area to look exactly like yours. I have received so many compliments! I feel bad for copying but it was such a great idea and I needed change stat. I also told my hubby that our bathroom down the hall is next. :-) I'm excited to see your day by day. Something I told my hubby that I didn't see in a lot of blogs. When I tackled the kitchen and living rooms, I must have made 7 trips to Lowes, 2 to ikea and a handful of other home goods stores. You never hear about the ugly annoying trips or extra coats of paint... I admire you for taking that on! So back to the bathroom. I'm excited to see what/if you do anything to that counter top. I have some type of laminate counter in my bathroom as well. I also have oak cabinetry in there... Yuck... Your lucky yours is white! But I am sure you had to paint that at one point earlier anyway! Okay, long overdue first comment on your lovely blog... But I had to share!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are actually in WI {I wish I was in NC}, but I still think it is awesome that we have similar homes so far apart!

      And thank you for the super sweetness! I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying taking on areas of your home. And I agree, you end up at the hardware store way more than it is ever mentioned on any blog.

      Glad you took a moment to comment! :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  33. Though we've lied in our house for almost 5 years now, the bathrooms have only ever received a fresh coat of paint. However, since the Army is moving us to Germany, we are going to be sprucing up the main bathroom (AKA the kids bathroom). My son knocked over a can of oil-based primer 3 years ago--and we just never got around to replacing the flooring. It's super gross even though we mop every week. So I'll be doing the bathroom on my own next month. No super pretty floor, just laminate tile (budget is super tight). However, all of the bathrooms are getting fresh caulking and new grout. NOT looking forward to that part! Can't wait to see your full transformation. And thanks for keeping it real! I'm inspired to do the same when we start our bathroom and kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a move! I hope it all goes wonderfully for you all. And laminate tile has come along way, and really refreshes a bathroom. We once used it in a laundry room and loved it!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  34. Hi Jen! I love that you are keeping it real...a lot of times the blog world seems so perfect and we all know our homes aren't always picture ready! But I love the fabric and wall color your chose! Good luck on your goals today! Also, I think you did a great job of taking pictures without natural light. I have the hardest time in our dungeon bathroom!

    PS - It was nice to meet you at Haven this past weekend. I was at your Saturday morning class and then personally met you in the dining room at lunch Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan!

      I am so happy you took a moment to say hello at Haven! And I am also excited to have another great blog to check out. :)

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  35. Hi Jen! I have a very similar looking bathroom in desperate need of an update. It's gross-o, so I'm looking forward to watching your update unfold. Holla ... to keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loving two things:
    1) Your honesty: When I only see "after" pictures I feel very inferior so it's great to be reminded of the beginning and middle parts of any project.

    2) That fabulous shower curtain: Gorgeous colors that will make your guests linger in the loo a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am really looking forward to watching this room transform in "real" time! We are in the middle of a bathroom reno right now...and have been for a few months, ugh! I'm so impressed that you guys are knocking it out in just a week! Can't wait to check back on your progress!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jen, I am so excited to see how this bathroom turns out. Knowing you and your great inspiration it will be fabulous in no time. Thanks for the definition of Quietude...totally helped me come up with a name for this master bedroom design I am working on...Quaint Quietude :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi ya, Jen! I am super excited to follow along with you this week {and always} as we are about to tackle two bathrooms {kids & master}!!! I am totally crushin' on your new shower curtain as well as that paint color!!! May have to use your color palette for my inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. this post reminds me of your earlier posts when you first started blogging. this is the type of post that made us fall in love with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahoo!! And I totally get it. Been feeling that way too.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  41. Can you give more specifics about the flooring. What exactly is it and where can you get it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy!

      We went with Allure Trafficmaster Flooring from Home Depot. We used it throughout our entire lower level and love it for areas that contain moisture. I will be sure to share all of the details in an upcoming post, once it is finally installed.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  42. Looks awesome so far! I can't wait to see what the new floor will look like :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. So excited to watch it unfold. That shower cutain!!!!!!!! Tyring to figure out where to put that. That is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  44. The link to the goo gone needs updating :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I really like when bloggers show everything step by step - reality is so much better than just a perfectly polished picture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.