Monday, April 1, 2013

45 Monthly Organizing Challenge: Organizing Under the Bathroom Sink

This month we have been organizing the bathroom and linen closet.  I was feeling pretty good about our systems for the most part since we organized them a few times over the previous years, but I still added some new labels to our first aid/medication closet and put together a travel toiletry bag.  And then it happened, I needed something in our lower level bathroom and was astonished at our under the sink situation....


Ooops, neglected space!  And then I decided since it was the month to tackle bathroom areas, that is exactly what I would do.  So I looked in the drawers of the cabinet right next to the sink....



I promised myself this year I was all about showing off my messes.  Because even though I adore organizing, not every space in our home is organized.  And our systems fail and our drawers get messy.  We. Are. Normal.

So here is what I did to get our bathroom back into shape.  It was pretty quick, simple and painless.  I started as I always do, and took everything out from under the sink and inside the drawers.


Next, I sorted and purged:
  • Cleaning supplies were piling and collecting, so the overflow went back with the other excess and overflow items in the laundry room.
  • Toiletry cases and products were moved to our suitcases so they wouldn't be forgotten during future travels.
  • Expired items were tossed.
  • Like items were combined into the same bottles.
I scoured my home for a few bins and containers to store what was left.  I also picked up a couple of containers for the rest. 

For my hair tools, I wanted to create holders that would withstand heat and keep them easy to grab and use.  I stole some paint cans from my oldest son's room {he once used them for coloring supplies, but I still have some final projects for his room and I will tackle his desk storage at that time}, and grabbed a large soup can from the recycling bin and gave it a good washing.


A little bit of contact paper later {contact paper in the bathroom always since it is waterproof and washable}, and the cans were a bit prettier.


I also cleaned out the pull-out drawers below the sink and added contact paper to those as well.  It's all about the small lovely details.


I lined the cans in the tall drawer of the bathroom cabinet, and I had instant hair tool storage.  The craft "paint" cans hold my curling iron, straightener and dryer.  The soup can is great for combs and brushes.


I even had room for my leave-in-conditioner and hair spritz.  Total win.

The drawer above held our toiletry bags {which were relocated}, and our charging docks for our electric toothbrushes.  I just wrangled the cords with some cable ties and the drawer was donzo.


Now, back to under the bathroom sink.  It is like a totally different place.  You wouldn't even recognize it, it makes me so happy {who knew under a bathroom sink could make anyone happy?}


Excess shampoos, conditioners and lotions were placed near the back and are no longer lost and buried in the cabinet drawer.  Girly products live in a tiered stand near the front. {The things we share for the sake of blogging...}  I used a stand that was originally intended for Kuerig cups.  Who knew it was really far more ideal for storing feminine products?  #newuseforeverydayitems


On the other side of cabinet, I added a few small bins to hold my whitening things and the few items I purchase in bulk when on sale.


To label the bins, I just used scrapbooking stickers.  I will probably use some clear packing tape over the top of them to ensure they have a long and happy life on the containers.

Cleaning supplies were placed back in, just much more condensed this time, and the bathroom organizing was a very happy ending!


It's always fun to check out before and after shots, so here is one for good sake of FUN:


Pretty sweet little bathroom success story.  Everything is in a place that now makes sense.  I was able to remove items that didn't and give everything a nice, clean look.  I am happy as a camper. 

How has your linen and loo organizing been going?  Stay tuned!  Coming up is a link party so you can show me first hand how awesome you are!

45 comments:

  1. I just redid the area underneath my kitchen sink. Doesn't it make you feel better. LIke a great haircut!
    Cortne
    cocoinmagnolia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just done both of our bathroom cupboards and draws.

    Found some colourful containers to house a lot of things including a long rectangular one for our toothpaste! Hated it rolling around in the draw.

    I actually used your cardboard box divided idea for one of my bathroom draw. It holds all my creams, nail polish, face masks etc and has worked perfectly.


    I love your women hygiene idea, I have a little basket but your one is very inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you get your pretty contact paper??! I just love them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I have found most of my papers at TJMaxx, Marshalls & HomeGoods. They are the MacBeth collection liners and I love them and the bright colors and patterns. I have also found that Amazon carries the same ones, only in even more options: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SAJOBO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009SAJOBO&linkCode=as2&tag=iheaorga-20

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  4. Love it! Do you remember where you got that cute little wire basket thingie? It's such a great size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ik also opened this exact same cabinet with shame and closed it with a big smile. I did not need new bins I just had to remove things we don't use and instantly regained space!
    Now we want new shelves for the towels and the old planks can be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This make everything look so clean. I love this kind of Cabinet for safe anything in the bathroom. Make everything look managed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love that rack you use for the feminine products! ;)
    I had the same kind of mess in my under the sink cabinet in my kitchen. I simply put in another shelf and my mess is gone! Or at least it shows pretty and organized! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fantastic! Amazing how contact paper can transform a disposable item into an organizing tool! Looks pretty too!
    Nothing like a "before and after" picture to shower us with happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tins but pity you can't see them in the drawer.
    I also really need to clean up my bathroom cabinets.

    Love your blog by the way. I check it everyday now I have discovered it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! This is just the motivation I need to clean under my bathroom sink!

    http://foodlaughterandhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great, Jen! I love the tiered wire stand-- I may just have to scour the kitchen section to snag one of my own! Hope you're having a wonderful week!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a good idea. Always love to read your fantastic organizing stories.Now I'm going to do this with our bathroom sink cabinet.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where do you find pretty contact paper? i cant seem to find it anywhere!

    Also - what whitening system do you use and do you love it?

    Bathroom looks great - I need to tackle mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina!

      Thank you!

      I have found most of my papers at TJMaxx, Marshalls & HomeGoods. They are the MacBeth collection liners and I love them and the bright colors and patterns. I have also found that Amazon carries the same ones, only in even more options: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SAJOBO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009SAJOBO&linkCode=as2&tag=iheaorga-20

      The whitening products came from my Dentist as part of a promotion they were running. I haven't used them yet as I am waiting for a few events I have this summer. :)

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  14. Perfect timing for this post as I am heading in to organize my under the sink bathroom cabinets right away! I love your pull out shelves! Thanks for the inspiration!
    ~ Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jen - This is my first time commenting even though I have been a fan for a long time now and check your blog daily. This post was fabulous because the other day I noticed my tampons were spilling all over the place under our bathroom sink and I had the thought of "I wonder how Jen stores her tampons?" Which might be a weird thought but they are something everyone needs yet can get quite unorganized. I will have to look for a tiered basket - that is a great idea.

    Also - would love to know where you get your contact paper? I have been looking in stores for a while now and haven't seen the variety of pretty colors that you have! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made my laugh out loud. Funny, but happy to thought of me... I think. :D

      I have found most of my papers at TJMaxx, Marshalls & HomeGoods. They are the MacBeth collection liners and I love them and the bright colors and patterns. I have also found that Amazon carries the same ones, only in even more options: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SAJOBO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009SAJOBO&linkCode=as2&tag=iheaorga-20

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  16. I adore the drawers under your sink. I'd love to know if they were there originally or if you added them later. They would sure make it easier to see all those things hiding in the back under my sink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy!

      The drawers were part of the vanity when we purchased it {from Home Depot}, however, I believe most home improvement stores sell them alone also.

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. ...haha! I was totally wondering what the white was in the feminine area?? =) Here I am scrolling to look and see if anyone asks/what they have to say. Thank you!! Good to know! =)

      Delete
  17. Why on earth have I never thought to put traveling toiletries WITH my suitcases?! Such a simple idea, yet it never even crossed my mind! Not only does it free up space in the bathroom, but it also makes packing so much quicker.

    You're one smart lady Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always wanted to add those pull out drawers under my bathroom sink and the kitchen one too. Love that two-tiered metal basket. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many smart ideas!! I love the paint cans for holding hot hair tools -- my straightener is always perched awkwardly on the sink while it cools, and it would be so nice to just be able to put it away when I'm finished! Thanks so much for sharing (and for being normal, haha!!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hola, no se mucho inglés por ello prefiero escribir en castellano, me encantan vuestras ideas, son una maravilla, sobre todo en mi caso que somos tres personas en un piso pequeño. Kisses from Barcelona. Yolanda.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! You always inspire me to organize absolutely everywhere and look for beauty in everything! Those pull out organization items are the best! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your blog. I am a huge fan. I find myself looking at your various products. Could you do a post on that sometime? Unless you already have then I will dig through the archives. Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE how you used the pretty paper and repurposed the cans - genius! We.are.all.normal!
    xo
    Morgab

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha yes... The things we share for the sake of blogging... I've been inspired by you Jen, and will soon be posting about our baking cupboard, but sometimes I look at what I'm doing objectively, and it does seem a little crazy!
    {lamourcheznous.wordoress.com}

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is the a file folder that holds your cleaning supplies? I definitely need to purge some things under our sinks! We have no drawers in our bathrooms, just a large cabinet under the sink and a medicine cabinet over our toilet (odd place for it right?)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi Jen,
    thanks for sharing such a beautiful bathroom organizing post..
    loveed those contact papers and use of wired baskets...

    today only i started to think about bathroom under sink organization and i got beautiful tips from you.
    thanks for Beautiful under sink.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you have any recommendations on where to buy such beautiful contact paper such as yours online? Preferably those that shop internationally. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay please ignore my questions above, feel free to delete and not approve it as I just saw your answers above. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just came across your blog awhile ago but call me a fan now. I was looking for inexpensive ways to organize cords and came across one of your articles. Liked it so much that I started checking out the other articles too. I'm taking notes. My space is in dramatic need of an organization overhaul. Thank you for putting the photos too, those really help!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is fantastic, just like every other post by you. I have used quite a few tips of yours in my organizing. The before and after is amazing. I am definitely going to use this to clear the area under the sink to begin with. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. woww...this is soo creative... Thank you for this ideas... your blog is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your ideas!

    Melanie ~ www.iheartsharingthings.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  33. jen~ You did such a great job with this! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have yet another New Fan :) however i too would like to know where does one purchase the pull out shelves that were installed under the sink? I read all the comments and didn't see anything noted about that item?

    Thanks Again Have an Excellent Day Everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The drawers were part of the vanity unit when we purchased it, however, I have seen pull out drawer kits sold at home improvement stores such as Home Depot and Lowes.

      xoxo!

      Delete
  35. I could never put girlie stuff in the same cabinet with my toilet brush and cleaners...hide mine behind the toilet

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ahhhh! My kitchen sink looks like the first few pictures! I need you to come over and help me organize mine as well! lol the end result was absolutely beautiful! nice job!

    By the way, I really like your blog you have some great information! I'd appreciate if you could check out my new blog as well :) www.projectlifewellness.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi, can i ask where did you buy the little think for the tampons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tiered coffee pod organizer (for Keurig) that I found years ago. I can't seem to find it online, but something like this might work just as well: https://amzn.to/2LhQJ5Z

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.