Thursday, March 28, 2013

37 UHeart Organizing: Organized Earring Caddy

My super fabulous organizer, Cassie from Hi Sugarplum, is a queen at combining organizing with style.  I have a feeling if we lived closer, we would be two peas in a pod, organizing, crafting, chatting, crafting, painting, chatting, shopping, giggling like school girls and doing some more crafting.  Seriously, love her.

Wait until you see what she has in store for today, a prime example of how she inspires me and hopefully you too!


Hey, hey, hey all you lovely I Heart readers! I'm thrilled to be back, sharing my latest organizational obsession! With so much affordable jewelry available these days, my collection of earrings and bracelets has gotten a little out of control. But with no organized way to store and display them, I ended up wearing the same pieces every day. It was just easier to grab those, than search through my tangled mess. I finally found a cute, simple and affordable way to corral my collection!


The supplies are easy and cheap...a Stowaway with Adjustable Dividers {commonly used for hardware and fishing tackle}, cute paper, and double-stick tape.


Some caddies empty completely, making it easy to line the bottom, but this one has permanent compartment slots, so I just cut strips of paper and adhered them to the bottom with tape.


I cut another piece of decorative paper {this is an old sheet from The Container Store I'd been hoarding, some papers are just too pretty to use as gift wrap!}, and taped it inside the lid for a pretty cover.


Then comes the fun part....creating custom-sized compartments to fit your family jewels.



It's so much easier to accessorize my outfits now that I can see everything at once. And I discovered I need to stop buying green earrings. {You can see all my outfit posts here.} I love that the lids snap closed, too, so everything stays put if it takes a tumble. {Did I really just say, 'takes a tumble'?!}



I don't know if I'm more smitten with the new Earring Caddy, or my DIY Spotted Vase! Both are making my bathroom pretty happy these days.



The caddies are pretty enough to leave out, but I prefer to keep things tucked away. Stowaways come in several different sizes, but I chose the smaller ones so they'd fit in my newly organized Bathroom Cabinets.

 
They fit easily in the top drawer....which is labeled, of course! {I use this method to create free, customized labels.}



Now my head is spinning with other ways to use these cheap little caddies! How do you keep your jewelry organized? Do you tend to buy a lot of one color, too? Have you started talking like your grandma?! Until next time, lovebugs!




"Hi, I'm Cassie, a DIY and design-obsessed Texas girl, and lover of travel, fashion, sarcasm and Mexican food. When I'm not hanging with my sweet and funny family, you can find me kicking the '80s out of our home, one budget project at a time, on my blog Hi Sugarplum!"





37 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! And the box turned out really nice! Thanks for sharing, I just recently discovered your blog and I really like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These earring caddies are so pretty and a wonderful customized way to store them! I'll definitely keep this one if I decide to add more to my collection. :)

    For my jewelry, including earrings, I created a board using cup hooks. The earrings are just hung on a piece of plastic canvas. It can be viewed here: http://shellssimplelife.blogspot.com/2012/03/jewelry-board.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! I love how much the pretty paper dresses it up, and I have a lot of extra scrapbook paper already around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I just posted a cool tip on my blog too: http://twentysomethingbows.blogspot.com/2013/03/tip-of-week-pot-holders.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be awesome for traveling, which I'm just about to do for a whole month!

    At home, this is the way that I organize my jewelry. Cheap and easy!

    http://vintagezest.blogspot.com/2013/02/jewelry-organization.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Diane!!! I love the creativity found in the blogworld!! Thanks for sharing, and for the great idea!

      xo. Cassie

      Delete
  6. I just did something super similar to my jewelry - I love that you posted this! Having it clear helps me see everything all at once. I love it!! I might just have to add some pretty paper sheets to mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you posted this! I have one of those that I've been storing thread in. This looks like a perfect use once I transfer all of the thread to a proper sewing box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great minds think alike! i LOVE these compartment-style organizers and use them all the time! i even found a set of 4 sold at the home depot for $4 - that's just $1 per organizer. i have used them to organize my daughter's doll house accessories, sharpies and random crafts supplies and office supplies. they are so versatile and inexpensive!

    here's how i used them for the craft/office supplies:
    http://besimplyorganized.blogspot.com/2013/02/pretty-little-things.html

    and how i used them for all those pretty sharpie pens:
    http://besimplyorganized.blogspot.com/2013/03/another-reason-to-fall-in-love.html

    love love love these organizers! so many ideas! i love your earrings idea...esp because i have so few of them. i'm totally not a fashion gal :-)

    thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's genius, Samantha! The pic of all your colorful Sharpies made my heart skip a beat! Great score finding them in a 4-pack!!

      xo. Cassie

      Delete
  9. Adorable! That paper really makes it so pretty -- smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I have a daughter in college-she has very little space and just adores jewelry--so this will be a fantastic project for us to do together. BTW-I used that gorgeous yellow bee paper on all of her high school graduation invitations and party things-so that added to the appeal! You are so creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I love that paper, too...wish I'd stocked up on it!
      xo. Cassie

      Delete
  11. I love Cassie and her adorable project! What a cute way to store earrings! Thanks so much for sharing this idea. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is Sooooo great!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genius!!! Would also be a great tool to pack jewelry when traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! They make even smaller ones I think...perfect for packing!
      xo. Cassie

      Delete
  14. Just found your blog and I'm in love! Where did you purchase your mirrored drawers in the 4th pic from the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! That's a Target gem from several years ago...but I see them there all the time, and at TJ Maxx, too.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cassie! That is exactly what I was going to ask. I hope I can find something like that online as I live in Mexico and sadly, no Target here :(

      Delete
    3. I found one at Target...

      http://www.target.com/p/mirrored-jewelry-box/-/A-14114888#prodSlot=large_1_24

      Delete
  15. Love the packing ability- my way of organizing jewelry is not so packing friendly!

    http://createbakecelebrate.blogspot.com/2012/11/create-un-bury-your-jewels.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously -- the nicest intro ever!! I think I may have to frame it! :) Thanks, as always, for having me, sweet Jen. Your readers are the best!

    xo. C

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great. I've been looking for a way to organize my jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooooooooo i'm going to do this to organize my makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty! Do you remember the old Caboodles from the 80's? I have a small one I used for my earrings. Have used it for years. Well, probably since the 80s. lol I have never found something that works as well. The lid stays closed. If I ever do have to retire it, I will go to this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! I desperately need some place to store all my jewelry, right now it's just crammed in various jewelry boxes spread all over the house, which is probably why I almost never wear any!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these storage containers. I have had some on hand for a month now to house some small crafting supplies. I was excited when I spotted them in the fishing department and for a large size was only $7 bucks. Can't beat that at all! Great job, Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay...so I just have to know how you organize your necklaces?!?

    ReplyDelete
  23. this would be great for little girl hair accessories/jewelry too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great and decorative DIY for organizing jewelry. I also loved some of your other organization tips so I am going to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh! I would have never thought of that! That's amazing :D

    Melanie ~ www.iheartsharingthings.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for such a wonderful idea. Inspired and motivated by this, I organized my jewelry in a similar manner. I love it because I travel a lot and this just makes it so easy to carry it around with me all the time!

    I would love to know your thoughts on organizing watch collection so that its easily portable as well.

    Thanks,
    Nishi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.