Thursday, March 14, 2013

32 UHeart Organizing: The "Lock Box"

We have been spending a lot of time this last couple of months, focusing on some key areas of the home; home office, kitchen and the bathroom.  Today, contributor Leslie Ezelle, winner of HGTV's Design Star, is stopping by with tips for keeping a super tidy and organized workspace.  Of course, what I adore most is how she does it all with style {and my friends, it's beyond obvious that this girl has great taste}!


Organization is KEY to a happy and healthy life. From living in my own home renovation nightmare, I can definitely attest to this, and live my life by the philosophy "tame your domain." When your world is cluttered, messy and chaotic you will feel like this as well!

One of my favorite organization projects is what I like to call, "The LOCK BOX." Sounds scary, but if you have a home office this will be the best thing that's ever happened to you! When I was young, my father always used to clear his desk of EVERYTHING when he had an important meeting and place it in just one box. This is where my idea for the lock box came from. "The Lock Box" is essentially armoire that you can lock up all of your work related materials.


The idea is to allow yourself time to pay bills, make phone calls, answer emails, etc. Once you are done, you can "lock" all of your stress back in the armoire and should no longer worry about what is in the "The Lock Box" {at least until the next time you open it}. If you maximize the time you work, and have everything organized you will be better at your job, and in turn, your life will be less stressful and more organized.


Here's how to create your own:
  • Get an armoire.  You can buy a new one, or even find an old one at a vintage shop and refinish it, or paint it yourself.
  • Create compartmentalized baskets.  Place a label on the outside of each basket so that you know what the basket contains {ex., bills, receipts, all things kids etc}.


 
  • Allow yourself one hour each day to go through each basket. Do this for 21 days {this is how long it will take to become a habit}
  • Place cork at the bottom of the drawers of the armoire to help everything stay put and not slide around. Then place picture frames {without the glass} into the drawers to keep all of your pens, pencils, etc., organized!
  • Finally, shut the doors! When you are finished with your work, close the doors to the armoire, locking all your worries and stress back inside! 



 
"They say everything is bigger in Texas, and Leslie Ezelle is no exception to this rule. The acclaimed interior designer and TV personality has entertained millions of people around the world with her vivacious and eccentric demeanor. Recently crowned as HGTV’s first ever Design Star All-Star winner, the mother of six brings a magnetic energy to anyone in her path.

A great believer in the correlation between design and health, Leslie's aesthetic revolves around the philosophy of “tame your domain,” the idea that simplicity and functionality rule. The talented designer believes this is truly the only way to create a stress-free, organized home." 


32 comments:

  1. That armoire is just what I would like to have as my creative storage And work station good use as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only one that doesn't get this? What is the point of putting pens in picture frames!? Wouldn't using drawer dividers take up less space? I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't really get this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great idea. At IHeart Organizing, we are all about finding new uses for everyday items to organize. Frames could offer a stylish and versatile option for keeping items in place within drawers.

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. I agree with Anonymous. That makes absolutely no sense. Maybe frames would work to corral bigger things, but not pens.

      Delete
    3. I don't get it either. Perhaps if the post would have been longer so it would include more info, I would appreciate it more. I just don't understand what this is all about. Because isn't this just a fancy form of keeping all your bills, etc in a binder or box? Is it the idea that you can close it that's so brilliant? Or that you have everything in one place? Maybe if I would have had a bigger place, and could see it in my house, I would understand it more. I can't afford to place an armoire in my tiny home just for this.

      Delete
  3. Omg, the picture frames idea is just brilliant! I have been wracking my brains about how to keep a very shallow cosmetic drawer in my dressing table organised - I could not find draw dividers slim enough anywhere - so resorted to these very ordinary trays http://tidyawaytoday.wordpress.com/2013/03/09/projects-for-the-weekend-part-2/ The trays are ok, but the picture frames idea would really work in my drawer. I would never in a million years have come up with that! Antonia :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to also say, I love the armoire and the colour it is painted in, would you be able to tell me what shade it is? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I will see if I can snag those details for you. :) I agree, it's a great color!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  4. Awesome idea! I love that it's a way to go through what you need to, then lock it up and forget about it when it's done for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love the idea of being able to shut it and walk away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous armoire like this is the perfect solution for people who aren't able to have a dedicated room as an "office". In our previous 1200 sq. ft. home and growing family, I loved our armoire that I could close up and then guests didn't have to look at all our "stuff". This design you shared is awesome too, because you can pull out that drawer and work without necessarily having to open any doors. And I LOVE the use of different style baskets. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is a beautiful piece of furniture, you wouldn't happen to know what paint colour that is? I could see this as a great DIY project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see if I can snag those details for you. :) I agree, it's a great color!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  8. THis is SUCH a Smart idea!!!! thanks! and off topic, Jen, what planner do you like/use/recommend? I have my calendar in my phone but i also need to see it on paper, in a calender, and i keep buying a different planner every time bc i keep finding one that works better than the last one! Your advice is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean!

      I created my own daily planner this year, and so far, I am loving it. You can find the details here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-2013-daily-planner.html

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will definitely check it out! I need a paper planner even though I have an electronic one, I have to be able to see everything all together!
      Thanks so much for all your help and handy tips! You Rock! :)

      Delete
  9. Brilliant! I so need this in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 6 kids and she looks like THAT!!!!!!!!!??????????? Wow, that alone is a huge feat! The armoire is beautiful. Wish I had space for one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I love the idea of being able to shut the doors and have my work out of sight/out of mind! What a beautiful armoire, too!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such a good idea! will totally help me unclutter! please stop by my blog and join the awesome giveaway I have going on for a smashbox under eye primer! xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that armoire! So organized. I could use some of those wire baskets. Very well done.

    http://thewebsterslifeandhomeimprovement.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a clever idea! I love the idea of being able to lock away all those stresses - and in such a stylish way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that Leslie was a contributor for you Jen!! I watched that season of Design Star:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm pregnant and we've been killing outselves trying to find a solution for my office stuff (I'm a student) since it will have to stay in the baby's room. This is what I've had in mind, but finding a piece (with drawers that pull out for you to sit at) is getting to be pretty hard.

    Jen, would you consider posting some inspiration for ideas similar to this so I can keep my space with out putting the baby in harms way (wires etc)? I'm sure other readers would love seeing ideas like this for other reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to know the color of that armoire, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this idea!! My desk tends to get so cluttered and messy and you certainly don't want you bills and receipts out for viewing if you have sudden guests drop by! What an ingenious idea!

    -Lauren @ apronsandcammies.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. One more great post from you Jen. Getting organized in the day to day activities of life is not a big deal really but many of us put it off for tomorrow which results in more and more clutter. The ‘Lock Box’ is an absolutely fantastic idea. Wonderful suggestions. Appreciate you sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen, Do you know who makes this piece of furniture??? Love it. Anissa Stewart

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.