Wednesday, March 13, 2013

45 Reader Space: A Dolla Makes You Holla!

We all know storage can get expensive, if we let it.  Sometimes we get crafty and make our own.  Sometimes we scour thrift stores.  And sometimes, we head to the Dolla Store!  Holla!


I am going to give new meaning to the phrase, as I don't believe the original meaning is all that appropriate.  Dolla store y'all!

I know dollar store storage isn't something new.  But it is still fun to see incredible transformations done on a dollar store budget.  That is where the darling Stacey, from A Sort Of Fairytale, comes to play.

And just in time for the bathroom and linen monthly challenge.  Check out her new linen closet!  No way you can look and not smile.


I had to know....

What is the main function of the space?  

"It is our linen closet which holds towels and toiletries.  Oddly enough there are no linens in there... no room."


Any superstar tips for keeping it organized?

"Containers, baskets and labels.  The containers and baskets keep it all organized and clutter free, and the labels help family members put things back in the right places."


What items did you find essential when organizing the space and why?

"Baskets and containers were essential to keeping like items together and to create a sense of cohesiveness."



What did you do to go the extra mile and "make it pretty"?

"I added labels tied on with ribbon, made sure the baskets and containers were pretty to look at as well as the cleaning supplies and containers."



What items did you DIY to stay on budget?

"Everything came from the Dollar Store, so it was all very affordable, no DIY needed. :)"



How has this project impacted your life for the better?

"It is still organized months later and it helps me so much to see what we have on hand in an organized manner, both mentally and financially!"


So simple.  So right.  Organization at it's finest here.  Goes to show what some dollar store baskets and labels can do.  But wait, you haven't seen the before picture yet, the transformation is quite incredible!


One thing that Stacey didn't mention, but I noticed right away, is that she also made use of the back of the door.  That is prime real estate for storage but often times overlooked.  Ditto to the floor.  It's is like a free shelf, and free is always fab!  You can find all of the details on her blog here.

Stacey sure made organizing look simple, inexpensive and fun!  The before and after is one to admire and shows that organizing doesn't have to be daunting or overwhelming.  In fact, quite the opposite!

What was the best storage item you picked up at a dolla store?  Did it make you holla?


 ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please submit your story and photos here and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

45 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I have all of those bins from the dollar store and yet my closet still looks so sloppy. Gonna try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go to the Dollar Tree and stock up. I used several of these in our linen closets when we were staging our last house to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to find baskets on the cheap. Looks so clean and streamlined!
    {lamourcheznous.wordpress.com}

    ReplyDelete
  4. that closet DOES make me smile! my linen closet is similar (just not as colorful!) but i'm going to try labeling my baskets - then my hubs has no excuse when he puts things back in the wrong basket ;)
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's right! (about the labeling) hahaha!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. So pretty! I have the same dollar store containers in my linen closet. I love them! Love all the colors here! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get my laugh of the day award,for "a dolla makes you holla". That said, I will be stopping by the dollar store on my way home:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanna give Stacey a shout-out for having that most-useful of tools, a dustpan/hand brush set.

    Low tech, inexpensive and oh-so-practical for cleaning up small, dry messes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Dorothy! that set is form the Dollar Store too :)

      Delete
  8. It's amazing how much stuff tends to accumulate over the years. I know we have storage closets we need to sort. Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love the dollar store baskets. They are so colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just went to my dollar store here a few weeks ago and was amazed at the cute color selection they offered in bins and baskets. We loaded up! LOVE! Her linen closet looks so happy.

    Britt @ Creating Space for Five

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely look at the dollar store/99 cent store first when it comes to any kind of storage, etc. My best storage item is probably the mini baskets that I use to store my in-progress sewing projects. They were 2 for 99 cents!

    However, my best dollar store item overall were the beer steins that I etched. It was a fun present to make and inexpensive too!
    http://vintagezest.blogspot.com/2013/01/etched-beer-steins.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the bright bins available at the Dollar Tree right now. I recognize some of these from there. I used a bunch of them to organize my pantry and picked up a few yesterday to finish my linen closet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those baskets are the heart of my classroom! They're so cute and practical, they match my decor, and a dolla definitely makes me holla!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great idea! You make me want to organize too :-)

    Maggie (from The Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE THIS! Oh you've got me beggin to re-design my whole house but until I can move it ain't happening :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! These are wonderfully easy steps to make my closet a little less insane. I love having my storage space beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did the door organizer come from the dollar store too? I love how organized and happy this closet looks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely LOVE your blog!!!

    Your new follower.....
    Jayma :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! What a great transformation! I love me some dollar store :).

    ReplyDelete
  21. So simple, so pretty and ... (loving this one the most:) so affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so need to do this! My closets make me want to vomit every time I open them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bought all my bins for my linen closet from the dollar store too, how funny! You can check out my makeover at http://twentysomethingbows.blogspot.com/2013/03/linen-closet-organization.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing my linen closer makeover, Jen! Also, than you to all who left such nice comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok I desperately looking for pretty labels...where do you get those?

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a happy closet! Love all the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super cute. I just picked up the white version of all these baskets at the Dollar Tree. I guess most DIY'ers think alike!

    Ida
    http://secondchancesgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, how I love Dollar Tree! It is so fun when great transformations like this can happen without a lot of $$! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Best thing was a batterie organizer with small kids we have ALOT of things that need them. Oh yes and 1 gallon zipper bags for toys and toy rotation. Oh and small laundry bags for puzzles and pieaces.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ohhhh! Maybe I need to add a rack to the back of my linen closet door!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This really inspired me because I usually have tried to cover up the plastic containers instead of seeing the cute potential in them! :) http://www.caravansonnet.com/2013/02/perplexed-to-pretty-or-goodbye-plastic.html
    Thanks for sharing!! :)
    Rebecca
    www.caravansonnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is perfect! and so pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've actually never hit a Dollar Store, but I'm going to now. What treasures. I'm a big fan of the $1 bin at Target. I'm always surprised what I find there. My children love it as well, bc they get a toy and I only fork over a buckaroo. It's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I dollar store baskets and they work so good for organizing my "linen closet" and under both bathroom and kitchen sinks. I, too, have that blue basket on the bottom shelf with the handle in the middle. I use it for cans and bottles that tend to tip over 'cause it holds them securely in place. Thanks Jen and Stacey.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so glad that you shared this! I have been meaning to reorganize my closet and this was just what I needed to see!! I went out and got my baskets and reorganized, feels so good to finally have that closet in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this closet. So well organized!!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks great - I find tons of deals on smaller bins/baskets in the "dollar bins" at Target. Love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just cant find the blue red green containers at the dollar stor e:(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.