Friday, March 22, 2013

68 Making Some Changes in the Master Bedroom...

OK, now that I have your attention.... pull your head out of the gutter.  I wouldn't blog about that!  Or would I?....

We made some updates to our Master Bedroom that I am super thrilled about.  And it all stemmed from the pretty stools we re-covered for our adjoining dressing room.


The dressing room and master bedroom are attached, yet separated with a large wall and only a doorway from one space to the other.  The new stools looked great with the muted citron yellow accents in the dressing room, so I thought it would be fun to expand the color palette in the master as well.  Up until now it was very white and gray blue/light yellow with no real pops of color.  Can you believe it?  And I was OK with that since it is the Master Bedroom and it should serve as a relaxing, soothing retreat.  But I love small doses of happy color, and since I am trying to bring spring inside {it certainly is not here outside}, we made a few colorful updates that I am so happy to wake up to each morning.


The bed side of the room is going to be the next area of focus, but it is nearly impossible to get a full room shot with the bed and new changes, so I thought I would give you a starting point.


If you follow on Instagram, you will know that I have decided to take back my studio {it's been a hod podge of ineffective storage and a mixture of furniture leading to nothing but a disaster - literally, so messy right now}.  One thing that has never felt right about the studio is the dresser I so badly wanted to love.  It was a Craigslist find that we painted and it held some bulk school supplies and fabrics and some other small office like items, but it always felt too heavy and I wasn't sold on my color choice.  Once I recovered the stools, I saw a color in the fabric that reminded me of the dresser.  Light bulb.


The dresser was at that very moment hauled into the master bedroom where is shined bright like a diamond.  Love.


The dresser now serves as a place for us to conceal our bedroom linens, my extra throw pillow covers and quilts.


When I originally moved her in the room, I thought for sure she would need a fresh coat of paint in a slightly different color, and I even contemplated giving her a two tone treatment.  But I was surprised that I loved her just the way she was.


My six months of long torturous Target hiatus came to an end at the end of this month {read about that here}, and I may have impulsively ran to Target to get my fix of the super amazing Threshold line.  The frames and lampshade were the icing on the cake!


I know the art is hard to see and understand in most of these photos because of the huge glare we receive throughout the day.  But the art was a super simple DIY in which I took my favorite lines from our vows and used Google Translate to change them to French {the language of loooove}.  The translation makes the words sound so much sweeter and I kind of love that Bryan and I are really the only ones around here who really know what they mean.  I just used Photoshop to pretty them up with colors and whimsical fonts and had instant free and meaningful art that I printed right here at home.  {So a few emails from French experts later and it sounds like Google Translate is NOT the best method.  You may want to check with someone who knows the language proficiently.  No loss here, just a quickie update and reprint.  That is the beauty in making your own art!}

The frames were from Target and the natural wood tones make my heart sing and I could seriously caress them and kiss them daily.  But I will save those actions for the hubs.  Sorry. #tmi


The charging station came back into the bedroom {that thing gets moved around pretty frequently around here}, and I really love the new location.  It fits well with the rest of the room, keeps the phone away from my head, yet I can still hear it in the middle of the night should there be any type of emergency.


The rest of the accessories were items I already had...


This entire switcharoo was originally inspired by the stool, that was originally inspired by the tossing of a scarf.  It is fun to look back and see how one action created a whole new palette and look for our room.  I would absolutely call this a super happy accident!

Any happy decorating accidents happening on your end?  What other ways do you bring meaningful art into your home?

68 comments:

  1. Where did you get that adorable round picture frame that resembles a small plate? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some identical to it in several colors at Home Goods a few days ago.

      Delete
    2. Yes, HomeGoods! :) They didn't have colors when I found it awhile back, I may have to make another trip. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    3. Does anyone happen to know the brand of this frame? I would really like to buy one, but we don't have home goods in Canada :(

      Delete
  2. I LOOOOVEEEE the royal blue! So elegant! Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, we are seriously in sync!! We're making slight changes to our Master, and we recently added a dresser to ours too! It came from our son's former nursery and was just sitting in storage. Definitely a "duh" moment for us :) And I have to stay out of Target now because of that collection...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun! Something must be in the air. :) So happy to hear the dresser has new life!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  4. The dresser looks amazing in its new place! And yes, that new Threshold line is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new Threshold line Rocks! I picked up curtains last week and receive nothing but compliments on them. I may be way off, but is that a Dana Buchman watch (breast cancer)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yes! I spotted the new curtains patterns, and they are incredible!

      The watch was from Target. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  6. Love your changes, using your vows as artful decor is such an awesome idea! I have a list of favorite quotes I would like to somehow artfully incorporate into my decor....just haven't figured out how yet!

    ~Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen I love the changes. Brings lots of character to an already beautiful room. I have to get my butt to Target and check out this new collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the wall paint color?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the room. It's so bright and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where oh where did you get that lighting fixture???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joni!

      It was a chandelier from IKEA, and I just added some pretty shades from Home Depot.

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  11. I am loving the blue dresser in there! You're totally right--the color is perfect. I love how moving a piece from one space to another can give it a whole new life. Have a great weekend, Jen!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to know the brand and paint color too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm honestly kind of sad that you didn't like the dresser in your studio! I loved it in there... what are your plans to fill that space? Can't wait to find out! Also, I was thinking... you should get more of those scarves and use a swatch of it in your curtains or a throw pillow... or even just frame some of it. All thoughts. Have fun!
    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks absolutely beautiful! The color of the dresser is to die for, and I love the idea you used for the artwork! I'd love to incorporate our vows into our decor somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous! I seriously just posted a post today about changing up my master bedroom! It really does the soul some good to change things up a bit every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have the same colors for our master! it started with my love for crisp whites, soft grays, and vibrant yellows....then bam. My OLD beat up bright blue dresser from college found it's way it. Isn't it funny how things like that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful. I have to agree . . . that Threshold line makes my heart go pitter patter. I just moved into a new home and am in the process of decorating it. I'm taking it slow and steady, but everytime I go into Target there is one more thing in the line that I "NEED"! HAPPY WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I rescued a wooden desk from the curb in our neighborhood (much to my husbands dismay) and want to paint it. Your painted pieces always look so gorgeous! Do you have any DIY tips? I've never refurbished a piece of furniture and am excited to see how this desk turns out. Any recommendations on paint types (from a hardware store, nothing fancy)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie!

      I always give my pieces a good sanding, a coat of oil-based primer, more sanding, and two to three thin coats of paint. I have always been a Behr girl for walls, but for furniture I find that Glidden works great and is less expensive. It is good to cover with a protecting poly or wax or let it cure for a few months to avoid chipping.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  19. The dresser is gorgeous and I love how the lamp looks on it. You made a wonderful decision getting that dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the dresser and the color; it looks great in the room. Those frames are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been loving these lamp shades ever since they were on the cover of the Target Ad....a while back. Today, I got the turquoise one for $7.50..... It was 1/2 off. So exciting. Love the dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely adore that dresser ( no matter which room you have it )!! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love Love Love!!! This is some super inspiration for our master bedroom redo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the dress and the use of it for linens, quilts, etc. Great idea to keep them handy! Love the framed quotes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that blue dresser with the crisp white nobs

    ReplyDelete
  26. i'm happy to hear that you like French because this is my language. I live in Quebec, Canada :) Nice quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am just in love with your blog i check it daily and this post is so cute! that dressor color is to die for! i want to paint my sons dressor and now i think i have found my color!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I absolutely LOVE the wedding vow art! Such an awesome idea especially to translate them. I will definitely HAVE to do this myself! Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello again,
    My original comment didn't seem to post so I can't have done it right. Just wanted to say love the artwork, just a little piece of advice to people that google translate doesn't get it perfectly right. Great for individual words, but it doesn't translate full sentences accurately. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just learned that so THANK YOU for mentioning that. Good thing it is DIY free art, so I can easily fix it. Ha!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  30. O o,... Google translate,.. It usually makes BIG mistakes! Hope it turned out right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. what a lovely sanctuary you have created. a place to relax unwind and call your own.
    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the wedding vow idea...and French is a language I studied, so it would have double-meaning to me! I think that dresser looks great in your room. www.styleoyster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the dresser color and how it was all inspired by a stool. ;-) The quote on the bed pillow is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks fantastic.. love it, what fonts did you use.. they make the artwork just pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda!

      The font is: Jellyka BeesAntique Handwriting

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  35. I love these changes and absolutely adore the french vows! Don't apologize for your love of Target, it ROCKS!! I can't believe you have gone 6 months without it! Target and IKEA make my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It looks absolutely beautiful! The color of the dresser is to die for, and I love the idea you used for the artwork! I'd love to incorporate our vows into our decor somehow........

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love and bought the same frames in different sizes. I also have that same lamp shade in blue for our master. Still trying to make it all work.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is awesome! I love how all of the colors work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I adore the framed pictures on the wall with the beautiful fonts. And your comment - shine bright like a diamond - too funnny!
    xo
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Jen,
    I'm French and I read your blog everyday. I would be happy to help you next time you want to do something in French.


    ReplyDelete
  41. It's funny how small changes can lead to a snowball effect. I started moving some stuff around in my office and it's inspired a whole new color palette that I'm going to be working on over the next couple weeks. Love the blue, and those frames are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What was the "whimsical" font you used for the quotes? I love it! I think I will do the same with either our vows or the reading we had at our wedding. Great idea and so pretty! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      The font is: Jellyka BeesAntique Handwriting

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  43. Beautiful, as always! I have been searching for a pretty but roomy charging station for our many, many devices. Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell us what color you painted the dresser? Love it!

      Delete
    2. Hi Brandy!

      I found the charging station a few years ago at Pottery Barn, but I believe they sell similar versions/styles at Target.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
    3. Hi Kim!

      The color is Restless Sea by Behr.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  44. Oh man, loving that lamp! I'm also loving that charging station...it'd be great for my iPhone and my nook. Do you by chance remember where you picked that up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,

      I found the charging station a few years ago at Pottery Barn, but I believe they sell similar versions/styles at Target.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  45. Great idea, Jen! It looks perfect in there. It's funny how those random inspirations can sometimes be so much better than the ones we spend so much time pondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love love your bedroom! And those quotes, such a great touch!! I was wondering if you could tell me where you got your headboard though?? I just love it!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzie!

      I found it years ago at Ashley Furniture Homestore.

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
  47. Your bedroom looks very organized and very stylish, sure wish we could have seen a before picture so we could compare! Anyway the best piece I would say is the chandelier, was it there before? It complements the entire room perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  48. You have a gift for writing in such an amusing way, it always makes me smile :) You are making me rethink my all white/cream master bedroom now...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.