Wednesday, January 9, 2013

49 Reader Space: A Happy and Creative Command Center

What night is basketball practice?  What time is that doctor appointment?  What day am I volunteering at the school again?  Did Lucy remember to practice her violin and did Joey take out the garbage?

Sound familiar?

There is always somewhere to be and something to do, and as a family grows, so do obligations and commitments.  From homework and practices to lessons and appointments, it can be a challenge to find order amongst it all.

So when my brilliant blogging buddy Megan {the same Megan I featured with the incredible meal planning system here}, emailed me to share with me her recent command center project, I knew it was the great way to kick of the 2013 Reader Spaces!


This year, I thought it would be fun to interview my readers with questions about their spaces so, here we go!

What is the main function of the space? 

"Our house is little, and its design is not quite ideal for our family's needs, so we transformed this little corner in our entrance hallway to serve as our Family Command Center. The main function of this space is to organize all the little parts of life: mail, To-Do Lists, chores, errands, coupon, receipts, laundry tickets, bags, shoes, jackets...you name it! It serves as family central for all the things that we as a family need quick and handy but don't want sitting on the kitchen table {because then I'll never find it when I need it!}."


Any superstar tips for keeping it organized? 

"Every aspect of this little nook was very intentionally designed based on what we were {previously} having trouble keeping in line: 1} we needed a place for all the paper that comes in the house, and 2} we needed a place to keep track of what's going on from day-to-day! We use a magnetized memo board {really just sheet metal from the hardware store} for things that are temporary and just need to be pinned up {in site} for a short time.


The sticky note To-Do Chart really helps keep track of what's on everybody's to-do list; and I LOVE that when a task is done, it gets pulled off and thrown away.


While these two systems are great, the real superstar of this corner, however, is our new mail system. The hanging file organizer with file folders are designated for myself, my husband, file, action, and shred. This system allows us to sort mail {and other papers around the house} instantly. When I find something on the coffee table that belongs to my husband...instead of giving it to him to deal with {which may or may not get done}, it gets put in his folder. Same with shred, file, and action items. For whatever reason, it's too overwhelming to file/shred papers every day. Now, we can accumulate those items day to day and then clean out the folders monthly."


What items did you find essential when organizing the space?  And why?

"Gosh - this is a tough one, because I feel like each of the functional components {as in, the non-decorative components} are all essential. I find it really helpful that we have a variety of ways to organize things in this one little space. For example, we have bins for things that can't be tacked up and just need to be dumped into something; we have a magnetic board for quick pin-ups; we have the sticky board for task items that can't get lost; and we have file folders that keep things separated as necessary. Also, having a dedicated coupon/receipt bin super accessible {on top of the counter} means I am more likely to actually put them away."



What did you do to go the extra mile and "make it pretty"? 

"I love, love love looking at pretty, organized spaces...so in addition to having the perfect organizational system, I also had to have it fun, fresh and happy - after all, it's the first and last thing we see every time we enter/exit the house. To "make it pretty," I first picked a fresh color pallet {turquoise and yellow} that worked with the rest of my house and then coordinated everything in that color scheme as I went along. The turquoise bins, paper caddy, and clock are all from Target and all match perfectly. I then added in pops of yellow and grey through some really simple and eye-popping artwork, as well as a vinyl "Happy Day" decal and mini pennant bunting made from washi tape.


What I think really unifies the space, though, is how I used the yellow-flowered contact paper. In addition to making it the background to our sticky note To-Do chart, I also used it to cover some old file folders to help them coordinate with the space. They were so quick and easy to do, and I love how the file folders match just right! This may sound silly, but I love using them because they are so pretty {which means I more likely to file my mail}!"

What items did you DIY to stay on a budget? 

"I am a big DIYer and crafter, so I always attempt to make things before I buy them, not only for budget but pure enjoyment. We bought the cubby shelf, but everything else is something I either made or up-cylcled from things out of our garage. The sticky note To-Do Chart was an old picture frame - I just covered the glass in flowered contact paper, and same with the file folders. Instead of putting the motivational printables in frames, I mounted them to painted wooden plaques. Lastly, I created my own organization printables to match the space!"



How has this project impacted your life for the better? 

"This little nook in our hallway has completely changed our lives! Now, mail is sorted as it comes in the door and heads either to the trash or into the appropriate mail file folders. Keys and wallets and hats and toys and sunscreen are put into the appropriate cubbies, while coats and bags get hung right up {instead of landing on the floor!}. Any task that can't be forgotten is written on a sticky note and put on the To Do chart. Once the task is done, the sticky just gets thrown away. Our weekly cleaning and outing printables are in plain view to keep me on track...and now I know exactly where the latest coupon or receipt went! This little spot in our house has made our lives so much simpler and has kept clutter from piling up around other areas of the house! Best of all, my kitchen table is always clear and there is no longer the conundrum of "where do I put this so I do loose it?"! YAY!"


Isn't the entire project beyond inspiring and incredible?  How about a final before and after?


It's projects like this that make me all warm and giddy inside, not only because they are incredibly organized, but also because she put the extra time, thought and effort into making it a happy and pleasing area in her home.  Labeled bins, memo boards with pretty paper, darling folders and those charming wall plaques.  So much goodness going on in one small and functional space!

You can find even more details and DIY tutorials on her blog here.  A huge thank you to Megan for sharing her awesomeness with us today!

Anyone else out there have a command center?  What do you love about it?  What is an essential component to your family station?


ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please submit your story and photos here and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

49 comments:

  1. WOW! A lot of organizing going on in a small space! Looks Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so much in love with the details

    ReplyDelete
  3. No link to her blog at the bottom..

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than a command center this is a work of art! Great job Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AWESOME! I love it. The color scheme is so bright and happy and everything about it is just good. I love all the DIY organization items and the printables on plaques may be my favorite! How did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I need to find a spot in my house for one of these. Where did you get those holders for the file folders?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get the hanging file system? It is exactly what I have been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found it - it's part of the Kvissle range from Ikea $15. Nice.

      Delete
  8. I'm looking to do something like this in our home and have got a perfect spot for it! Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I have this on my 2013 goals list - we have a great kitchen, but no good space for a command center that I so desperately want! I'm going to find a way to figure it out though - great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't live without burp cloths. I have them tucked all around my house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute, and I love the colors. But, the teacher in me REALLY needs you to correct the spelling of the word "receipts"!! Remember, "i" before "e", except after "c".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fab. I too would like to know where you got he hanging file as it is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome! I hope to accomplish a command center in my entry way too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful little corner! It would be much easier to keep something like this tidy, well for me anyway... I wouldn't want to mess it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't leave home without my Moby Wrap. It was a lifesaver. So easy to use and comfortable for both myself and my son.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For my diaper bag I couldn't leave the house without a extra pair of clothes. I never new when my little angle would have a spill or get a little dirty :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where did you find such cheery and pretty contact paper? All the patterns I find look so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is the best "Reader Space" ever! Every single idea of Megan's is beautiful and so practical. Nothing seems left behind, and the system seems SIMPLE!! My command center systems always bottle-neck over time because they are not simple. I am going to give some of these ideas a try. Thanks Megan and Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This organization of a small space could work even in large houses where every inch is being utilized.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the mail organizer, love it. I'm with the other poster, where did you get it?? Our house lacks any sort of landing zone for coats, shoes, mail ect, but I love how you made a small space not only really useful, but pretty! I need someone to come to my house and help me figure out where I could put something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looks like ikea..

      Kvissle wall newspaper hanger

      Delete
  21. I love the bright and cheery colors!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful space!! I love how bright & cheery the colors are:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! Now to find a wall in my house to something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this! I especially love the idea of a sticky note to do list! What size frame did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I couldnt live without baby toys.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I see the cubbie shelf on Target.com but did the white file folder holder on the wall also come from Target?? I'm loving this system and I'm on the prowl for that file holder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white folder holder is from Ikea.

      Delete
  27. Did you know that "reciepts" is misspelled?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great space! Love all the details that make it fun and functional. A cute little stool and a shoe bin for the kids would be great if this is where you enter the house most often.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is fabulous! Love so many aspects of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the color combo, it works well to soothe your stress or anxiety. Your receipts clothespin sign is spelled wrong. I'm sorry, I'm anal about spelling and grammar. Plus, if it were my blog, I would want it corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh man, I neeed a command space!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the colors!! Our command center needs an overhaul.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well done to broaden the children and even for adults to be more creative in life, must be based on the sense of pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ah-mazing! I love the colors, function and look of the space. And the washi tape bunting? Brilliant icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I couldn't leave home without a binkey and a hat for my little one!
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't know if anyone has already said this,but you spelled receipt incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks absolutely amazing. I really need to do something like this. We actually need more storage in our laundry room, so we are going to look in to cabinets for it. I would love to have a command center in our laundry area since that is where we enter and exit the house mostly. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this space! But that bike? Looks like the ride might be a little difficult! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I always have to make sure I have my daughter's Sophie giraffe!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I absolutely love this space! What a great idea! I am the type of person that will need a space like this in my house. I'm getting married in April, something will be up like this no later than June! Thanks for the inspiration@

    ReplyDelete
  41. WHere is the cubby shelf from? Someone said Target.com, but I didn't find it there. Is that where you got it? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love that "enjoy the ride" wall hanging... did you make that or buy it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  43. would love to know where the shelf with the drawers is from...any ideas for those in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the labels on the mail sorter. How did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You you have inspired me with your creative cuteness! Pay no attention to those who feel they need to correct spelling. I hope they feel ALOT better now. Sheesh. Go girl!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.