Thursday, December 13, 2012

14 UHeart Organizing: A Red Shutter Affair!

It sure is holiday week here at IHeart Organizing, and contributor, Megan from Honey We're Home, is here today to keep the fun coming!  She DIY'd the most beautiful and creative holiday card display, which she can use to show off the smiling faces that show up in her mail box this time of year.  I am smitten!


Last weekend I got my Christmas cards all addressed and out the door and the cards addressed to us are rolling in.  I do love that many people send photo cards and I found a new way to display them for the season... on a shutter door!  I like that this display will hold LOTS of cards!


I found a natural wooden shutter door at our local hardware store for about $40.  They come in various heights and widths, this one being 30 inches wide x 80 inches high.


I recommend priming the door before spraying.  I skipped that step and our door is a bit blotchy, but inside where it's dim, you can't really tell. 


I used inexpensive chip board letters to spell "Merry Christmas" and spray painted them green. 


A few chip board stars, crafty buttons, and snowman hot-glued to the door add to the charm of the homemade display.


To finish off the display, I added a simple faux green wreath and added red and candy-cane ornaments and glittery snowflakes. A few dabs of hot glue keeps the ornaments and snowflakes in place.  The wreath is affixed to the door with a sticky Command hook.




I affixed the cards to the door with tiny round foam stickers. The cards that are the horizontal, folded type fit right in the slats.


Thanks Jen and IHeart readers, Merry Christmas to you!


"My name is Megan and I am a lawyer by day, design and decor lover by night, and Mama to the sweetest 2-year old boy you've ever seen. I'm passionate about fitness (and chocolate!) and could not live without my relationships, girl talk, and my morning coffee. I've been blogging for two years over at Honey We're Home, sharing my love of keeping things organized and beautiful at our house.  My efforts to live in the moment and cook more are an adventure in progress."


14 comments:

  1. Very cute! I don't think I have the storage space for that though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a darling idea, Megan. I never would have thought of that. And I spy some familiar faces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable idea, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually have these original to our "older" home, but we slide the cards over the slates to hold a lot more cards. There are always cards hanging on our doors year round!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! I love displaying all the cards we receive too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this -- especially the wreath! Gorgeous touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Heart and adore every post on this blog!!!!!! xxx

    http://babyemilycloset.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute idea, girlie!! You're really on a DIY roll!! I spy a few familiar faces...thrilled to have made the board front-and-center!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea! I love it. I like that you can move it between Christmases, and store it rather than having to take it all apart and take it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat idea and super cute, but what happens when Christmas is over? Where do you store something so big?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute!! I don't so Christmas but this is a great idea. Can one spray paint when it's cold outside? What would be the coldest temp to work in and have it still come out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's awesome! I was planning to do this after seeing a green shutter at an antique store, but my husband "shuttered" at the thought of paying $35 for a rotten piece of wood (his words). I even scouted out the Home Depot to buy a new one. After seeing how yours turned out, I'm bummed I didn't get off my wallet and just do it! Thanks for sharing!
    Jessica @ A Humble Creation

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.