Wednesday, December 19, 2012

36 Reader Space: A Hallway To Love

Unfortunately, not many homes are built and blessed with a large entry or mudroom.  A necessary space to greet you when you walk through the door, a place to hang your keys, drop your jacket, line up your boots and stash your mail.  As much as an entire room for these tasks would be fantastic, the ability to create one out of a hallway or unused space is magical!


Emily wrote to me and shared her hallway makeover and I hopped at the opportunity to share it with you, since it was such a lovely and wonderful use of a typically neglected space.

"We feel like we practically doubled our house size, since moving to Texas.  Compared to most, our home is probably not "big"...but it's big to us, and our family of 8 could use all the room we can get.  We have a lot of space and a lot of rooms, and I am a firm believer in getting the most out of every room you can.
Thus brings us to our hallway. {I took inspiration from my best friends entryway.}

Downstairs, off the kitchen and master, we have a very long hallway that takes you to the bathroom and laundry room--then garage. Here's what it looked like prior to us sprucing it up.


In my opinion, it was such a wasted space. {The previous owners had every.single.room in this house the manufacturer tan color.  also known as barf.}

We are in the process of painting all the main areas of the house gray.


We {and by we, I mean Mr. Anderson} added some wainscoting to the walls.  You can get a 10 foot piece at Home Depot for about $18...and they will cut it to your exact measurements for free.  We needed 3 panels across, so we bought 2 pieces at Home Depot.  {We were able to use the remaining piece near our front door, so no piece was wasted!}


{We just used a good old fashioned hammer and nails, plus adhesive on the back of it}  After adding the wainscoting, we put up a chair rail, I think this piece cost us a few dollars. {Color is way off in this photo.}


I painted it a coat of white, it comes white, but it needs a good top coat so you can scrub it.  Especially when your kids smear boogers onto it.  Not that i would know.

 

After painting, we added some hooks, $3 each from Home Depot and voila:


A functioning space for our family.  The kids keep all their backpacks and coats here.  And we hang artwork up above to make it a more happy space.


When you first enter the hallway you see this:


That is our family calendar to the left, and our growth chart to the right.  I also get to see our family picture every time i walk in there.

In the hallway, I also put up magazine holders.  I found these for $2.99 each at Target.  They are not the cutest thing, but they work for the space.  I labeled them each, with the kids who are in school.  This is where their papers go, that i need to keep for whatever reason {i.e. a permission slip that I need to fill out still, homework that isn't due till the end of the week, any papers that Mr. Anderson needs to look at}.  I put it all in these folders, so that they stay off my counters, and don't forever get lost. 



And last but not least, remember our shoe corral?  I really loved that system, but those IKEA bins did not fit in this hallway space, or any other space in our home as shoe bins, so we needed to figure out a different shoe system.  I found these bins at Wal-mart for about $4.00 each...they are stackable, and sit in the corner of our laundry room...each kid gets a bin, oldest to youngest. Voila!


The shoes are out of the way, but most importantly, sorted.  so we aren't fighting over shoes, or losing shoes, etc.

 

So there ya go, our hallway re-do.  Easy peasy and cost us less than $100, including paint and the shoe system."


So darling right?  I love the function and systems put in place, and all for such a budget friendly, smart space utilizing price!  Mama Anderson has it going on! 

I also love that they use the entry as a way to display artwork.  Such a special way to be greeted when entering the home.  

Hugs and thanks to Emily for sharing her inspiring makeover and organizing ideas!  You can find all the details on her beautiful blog here.

What's your favorite part?  Anyone else turning a hallway into a mudroom?  Share your space saving success stories in the comments below!

 ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please submit your story and photos here and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!



36 comments:

  1. Inspirational! I need to figure out a proper mudroom space in my house, and I think I can take a couple lessons here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A family of 8?? WOW. Super family, for sure. It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great makeover. I love how helpful this would be for a family. As someone without kids, though, I actually prefer the hall without the utilitarian additions (more relaxing/aesthetically pleasing to me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that happy hall!! And the little wall holders are super smart, too. I created a similar mudroom out of our hall...

    http://hisugarplum.blogspot.com/2012/12/mudroom-complete.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, it's gorgeous and oh so functional! Do you think the wainscoting would have looked okay and worked without the adhesive? The reason I ask is that I love the effect, but afraid down the road if I choose to remove it that the adhesive will lend to tearing of the dry wall.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi laurie!
      the man at home depot told us that the adhesive would just be a little bonus to it. it wasn't necessary. we plan on living here for a long time, and don't plan on taking it down, so we went with the adhesive to make sure it would stay.
      hope that helps!
      emily

      Delete
  6. Can you tell me what brand/color paint you used? I am going to be moving into a house with similar tile and wall color but prefer something more of a gray.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gahhh I have a zillion hallways in my house that need some TLC! This is perfect! =)

    Hope you and the fam are having a great December, Jen! xoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this hallway idea!

    cyndy dimpls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of space! I love the hanging and rotating children's artwork idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to get some of your "shoe sorting bins" for my laundry/mud room closet. Why didn't I think of it before? I, too, use a similar file folder system for the kids' papers (and bills, medical receipts, etc.) It's been a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great way to organize a hall! I love the family touches, like the artwork and family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would be awesome to carry in my vehicle--just in case...Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the hallway makeover and the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. :] Oh that is such a lovely idea! Thank you for sharing your friends post!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the Awana vests hanging up!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. so clean and managed. kudos to u.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great solutions, it looks so much better, I like those paper organizers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant transformation! Just goes to show what can be achieved even in a smaller space. I think the mail bins look great! The shoe storage is also a good way to use vertical space.

    Antonia
    http://tidyawaytoday.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. amazing project!thanks for discovering such good blogs. i start following her blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this space! Our home is built so that the front door leads right into the living area, so this set-up wouldn't work for us (boo!), but I think this post has convinced me to really consider dressing up the walls in our dining area (which is in the kitchen). I am in love with the wainscoting and chair railing --- I think this will be the perfect look for our giant, plain back wall in the dining room. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cannot wait to do mine!! So inspired! I love the artwork hanger! We have 4 girls (3 3 yr olds and a 6 yr old, so there is no shortage of artwork and I would love a clean and simple way to display it better. Where did you get this hanger?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a wonderful use of the space. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two of my favorite sites colliding today! I love this hallway and Emily's blog. I think we'd be BFF's if I lived in Texas or she lived in Michigan. Her sense of humor about life is so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome! I wish we had a mudroom, or even a hallway...might be able to take bits & pieces from this to figure something out. Love the wainscoting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is awesome! what exactly did you use to display the kid's artwork? i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's from IKEA. it's a wire that you nail into the wall...if you're not by an IKEA, at our last place i just used good old fashioned twine, and clothespins.

      hope that helps!

      Delete
  26. it's cute and functional but the kids are going to get a lot of bumps at being stuck on hooks with that type of setup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no bumps yet! we'll keep our fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

      Delete
  27. Love this, so simple and organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen,
      I LOVE your hallway transformation!!! Congratulations on a job well done!!
      I just read the article about you and your family's home in the Better Homes and Gardens publications Spring 2013 Storage issue-inspiring article!. I have been thinking of painting birch trees in my bathroom and loved your birch tree stencil on page 28! Was that a purchased stencil or did you create it? It is beautiful!!! I would love to do something similar in my bathroom. Is the stencil available to purchase? Many thanks and Happy Holidays to you and your family! Warmly, Ellie from Maine

      Delete
    2. Hi Ellie!

      Thank you! Happy you found me!

      You can find the post on the tree stencil here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2012/04/playroom-painting-project-we-stenciled.html which includes a link to the stencil to purchase online.

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.