Thursday, November 8, 2012

29 UHeart Organizing: Time to Wrap!

Someone pinch me.  Please.  I am having such a hard time believing it is time to start planning and preparing for the holiday season!

I will admit, I am one that easily gets taken by surprise at how quickly the season comes each year, and by the time I typically get into the holiday swing of things, they are already over!  However, I have vowed that I will NOT procrastinate this year.  Tree will go up earlier, gifts will be purchased earlier, cards will be done earlier... and that means I must get my rear in gear!

Courtney is giving me the kick start I need today, I just went to holiday heaven by reading her post.  Hopefully you will find yourself getting excited to kick off the most wonderful time of the year as well!  Here she is now!


With the holidays peeking out from behind the corner, I am trying to get as organized as possible. I have started collecting items for our advent calendar countdown as well as getting this wrapping box organized for little Christmas gifts. This box is designed to help me quickly put together teacher gifts, neighbor goodies, hostess gifts and any other need for an unexpected gift here and there. The idea behind it is to have everything in one place so that when I go to give out those yearly gifts {teachers, friends, hostess, etc.} I don’t have to scramble for wrapping. 


The box itself is a white box from The Container Store but you could use absolutely anything. And it’s only for a couple of months so feel free to shop your home and “borrow” a basket of box for the season. 


So what is in the box? Here is the breakdown: Bakers String, Crinkle Paper, Tote Bags, Gift Tags, Scissors, a Pen, and small shatter proof ornaments. 




The small ornaments are from both Hobby Lobby and Ikea. They have amazing prices on these little guys and you can easily grab them with a coupon. The package of small white totes is also from Hobby Lobby and only costs $5 for 12. With a 40% off coupon it’s only around $3.00 and there will be enough for me to cover all the little gifts that I give out. 


The gift tags were only $2.00 for a set of 15 from Hobby Lobby. They come as blank cards so that you can do whatever you want with them. I always think a cute gift tag can really make a simple gift look very special.


So with everything I need in just one place, I can easily wrap a gift card or simple gift in a jiffy. Does anyone say “jiffy” anymore?? Each tote bag will be filled with crinkle paper and tied with an ornament and gift tag. I also keep a pen tucked in the box so I can fill out the card as well. 


When I shop this year, I will keep in mind the size of my tote bags. When I give out little gifts to teachers, neighbors, friends or a hostess these are some of the gifts I often give:
  • Starbuck’s Gift Cards 
  • A Set of Coasters 
  • A Pretty Bracelet 
  • Personalized Stationary 
  • A Small Decorative Bowl


By the way, this bakers string was a steal from Target. They had it in the dollar section and each one comes with ten yards. I only use about 10” per gift so this will be more than enough for the holiday season. Be on the look out if you want to scoop some up.

So that is my wrapping box for those little last minute gifts. Keep in mind this is to wrap teachers’ gifts as well as hostess gifts. The gifts to family are normally wrapped in boxes with some fun additions. You can see how I wrapped all of those last year. I am sort of a sucker for a beautifully wrapped gift. Who isn’t, right?!


Here’s to an organized holiday season! I am excited to implement this box this year and see if I can stay on top of all of the little gifts that seem to pop up out of the blue. What about you? Do you have a fun idea for keeping your holiday gift wrapping close at hand?




"Do you believe in love at first sight? I sure do because when I first stumbled upon I Heart Organizing I immediately fell in love with Jen's mad organizational skills. I think we all long for a calm, organized, well styled life. I am the author of A Thoughtful Place blog where I dish on all things related to decorating, organizing, entertaining, and of course DIY-ing! To be quite honest, working on making my house a home is my happy place. It fulfills my need to be creative and I love sharing ideas {both big and small} with my readers. Along with my blog, I am a contributing writer to House of Fifty and have recently started my own decorating firm, Casey Grace Design, LLC,  with my talented sister.  I call Orange County, California home where I live with amazing husband and two children. At the end of a busy day, I love to enjoy an ice cold beer on the front porch with my hubby while we watch our children ride their bikes or run around. Life is sweet and I am thrilled to be a part of the IHeart Organizing Team."

29 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for pretty wrapping! I don't even care what's inside...I just like the pretty, sparkly wrapping. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a girl after my own heart. Love pretty wrapping, too!

      Delete
  2. Genius! I'm starting one today while 2 out of 3 kiddos are at school! Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to try printing a Scripture related to Christmas on the tags for that "extra touch".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! I'm definitely going to put one of these together this year. And pinned!! Thanks for sharing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I love being creative with wrapping gifts. For the past few years I wrap EVERYTHING with brown craft paper and then I can personalize it for any occasion with all the little extra touches. Now instead of having lots of wrapping paper I just have one roll but lots of ribbon, bows, tape, etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea. Space saver, too. And with so many amazing ribbons available now it makes it really fun.

      Delete
  5. I'm still in denial that Thanksgiving is in abotu 2 weeks (eeeek, I have planning to do). I will not procrastinate buying xmas gifts ... will not procrastinate ... will not ... well, maybe :) I will TRY NOT TO ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! Will have to try your wrapping tips this holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo cute!! I have a little box with some of the essentials, but you have totally inspired me to upgrade! I love how you separated your holiday stuff from other gift wrap, and keeping your gift bags in there with everything?? Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids presents were bought in July during the Target clearance sale and Toys R Us annual Lego sale. And their birthday presents will be bought during the after Christmas clearance sale. So at least I don't have to worry about that bit. Just cooking the dinners...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! I am not crazy about pretty wrapping since it seems so hard to me, but this is totally do-able! Simple, convenient, and pretty :) Thanks for sharing!
    -Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these ideas, so pretty and yet easy enough that we all can create them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are such an organizing genius! i love your ideas!

    http://storybookapothecary.com/2012/11/02/a-new-kind-of-giveaway-black-friday-beauty-extravaganza/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Consider my butt kicked! I have just now determined to go and make me a wrapping kit box TODAY (it's just 9am here in Oz). Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love it! I hope you got it all together!

      Delete
  13. Great idea chica!!! You are always so 'with it'. Totally going straight to Target for bakers twine!! And love those cute gift tags...did you make those?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started picking up odds and ends this week too! Especially the things I know I usually run around hunting for like a crazy woman last minute (extra ribbon, boxes, gingerbread houses, icing for the houses, etc). I am feeling so much more relaxed this year! I am a huge fan of plain kraft paper (Target has it this year) and bakers twine. Simple and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous wrapping!! I love the idea of having a cute & organized box to corral all the wrapping tidbits. This year I'm going in a whole new direction & using brown kraft/butcher paper with twine and a monogram for wrapping. Maybe I'll add a greenery sprig with fake holly berries or a pinecone. I'm excited to see the results!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl after my own heart. Anything with a monogram is fantastic! Sounds great.

      Delete
  16. Oh I am so excited about wrapping the Christmas gifts this year! What a great idea to keep everything all together! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful idea! I have all of my gift wrapping stuff together, but nothing yet organized for small hostess gifts. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used white craft paper last year, and really did not care for it. It was to thick, which made it difficult to wrap gifts. I found plain white wrapping paper at Walmart. I love using white gift wrap with pretty bright pastel ribbon. Im not a fan of red and green at all, and all the white gifts under the tree look so pretty.Its simple without a bunch of busy pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol Jane - I love using white paper, too. In fact that is what I do for all birthday gifts. So fun to use colorful ribbon with the white paper.

      Delete
  19. I'm one of those people who loves gift wrapping-especially when it's holiday season. Such a cute and useful idea Courtney - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the bagging! This year I am hoping to get really really crafty with my gift wrapping. Pinterest will be seeing a lot of me for awhile. :)

    istaistaista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always try and have a stock of this stuff in the Manor for small gifts. Now i just need a pretty box to help keep everything together! Thanks for sharing

    managingthemanor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gift wrapping is one of my favorite things to do during the holidays. I have a box that use for collecting little add-ons throughout the year, as well as paper, bags, ribbon, etc. that I've found on a major discount. Love these ideas! I started my Holiday Countdown a couple weeks ago so that Christmas doesn't sneak up on me. http://satoridesignforliving.com/tag/holiday-countdown-series-recap/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the idea of a go to box with everything you need to put a gift together. Of course my box would be very different from most. I have not purchased paper solely for the purpose of ripping off a package and throwing in the trash for about 10 years. I'm much to much of a reduce, reuse, recycle person for that. So my box will have pretty pictures from catalogs to wrap things in for my mother and sister's in law, comic pages that my neighbor saves for me from his newspaper for the kids in the family, stock pages for my dad, brown paper bags that I collect on those rare occasions that I forget my fabric shopping bags as well as gift bags, boxes and bows that anyone in my family has gotten when we've received a gift. Those get recycled, not thrown out. My kids get a kick out of creating our own designs on newsprint or brown bags too. And instead of crinkle paper I use shredded documents. My packages may not be quite as pretty as some, but I feel really good knowing that I am not contributing to a landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now you've got me excited. I started my Christmas shopping -- accidentally on purpose! -- but have given no thought to wrapping gifts. Hope you'll feature more ideas on wrapping. Thanks for this nudge in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.