Friday, October 12, 2012

39 Thirteen82 Chronicles: Guest Bedroom Reveal!

Finally right?  I have been asked on Facebook and through comments, "When do we get another Thirteen82 update!?".  And many apologies to you all!  Not only does a room update take time, but summer totally got the best of me and I didn't make it over to Em's lovely home to shoot after pics until just yesterday!

It is fun to see how the seasons have changed since we began planning the room update months ago...


We last left off sharing some sneak peak lighting updates and the progress of turning the $5 habitat door into a headboard.

Emily and her hubs put a lot of love into the space, and after oodles of spray painting, thrifting, sewing, collecting and more painting, we are excited to say the room is finished!! {Although we still get to tackle the bathroom}.  I had such a fun time partnering with Emily on this project, and to see it in the flesh all pulled together was so rewarding.  She and her Mr. did a really fantastic job with all of their projects and I hope that they {and their guests!} will love the room for many years to come!

But enough chit chat.  Should we take a look at the final "after" photos?

First, let's look back at how the room began, a total blank slate!


The bedroom has two entrances, one through the hallway bathroom, and another straight off the hall.  Here is the view through the bath before...


The goal was to make a statement when you peek through.  And I believe that was accomplished!


Soooo pretty!

The name of the game was simple and serene.  Emily and her family love heading up north to their cabin, and being by the water.  She loves a home that is collected over time and that feels sweet and cozy.


Isn't that headboard craaaazy amazing?  It started out as a $5 door from the Habitat Restore.  Lots of stripping, some decorative crown molding and pretty Slate Teal paint from Benjamin Moore, and it looks incredible!



The frames were Ribba from IKEA and the maps were $1 each from our trip to Junk Bonanza.

The lovely side table was gifted from her grandfather's home, as were the books.  The glass orb was picked up in a thrift shop on Sanibel Island for $3.


Another treasure from her grandpa's home, was the old globe that sits smiling in the corner of the room.  The white window panels were hung high and some pretty fabric was added to the bottom to add length.


We popped the driftwood on the wall as a way to fill the empty space between the window and the door.  I love the simple effect.  The driftwood had been sitting in Emily's garage waiting for the perfect place to call home, she had collected it from a trip to Michigan last year.


In the other corner of the room, Emily was able to score an old AV cart and give it a fresh coat of spray paint in Rustoleum's Eden green.  It is the same color as the sprayed light fixture hanging above the bed.


When Emily and I were chatting and brainstorming about things that would make the guest room complete, she was really interested in adding a luggage rack for her guests.  Little did we know we would find the perfect one, again at Junk Bonanza, for $5!


I piled it high with cozy old quilts for soon to be cold winter nights!

Emily used this tutorial from MiniManor Blog, to sew throw pillows out of left over curtains from college and a drop cloth!


The state pillow is one of my favorite details in the room.  Emily sewed together a few pieces of scrap fabric, cut out Wisconsin and sewed it to the front of her pillow.  So darling!


Across from the bed, in between the two doors, sits an oar that was given numbers that have special meaning to Em and her man.


And that is the story of a room that could.  With a lot of love, the room is now full of items that have character and special meaning.  A mixture of old and new...


Make for a very happy ending!

And here is a cost breakdown for those interested:
  • Wall paint and headboard paint: $36, wall color is Argos Gray by Sherwin Williams, headboard color is Benjamin Moore Slate Teal
  • Driftwood: Picked up on our summer trip to Michigan last year
  • Curtains: White panels from Target: $21.00 for 2, sewed 2 strips of fun fabric on the bottom to add length to each panel
  • Curtain Rod: Left by the previous owners of the house, sprayed with Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint
  • Lamp: TJMaxx for $25
  • Side table: Gifted from her GrandpaV
  • Globe: Gifted from her Grandpa G's old office
  • Books: Gifted from her Grandpa G's old office
  • Glass orbs: Picked up in a thrift shop on Sanibel Island for $3
  • Headboard: Made from an old door we found at the ReStore for $5, molding/extra wood was $22 and the hanging device was $19
  • Quilts: One is from Emily's Grandma, one is from her husband's Great-Grandma
  • Luggage rack: Junk Bonanza for $5
  • Wood chair: Came out of Emily's mom's old elementary school for $0
  • TV cart: Old AV cart from Emily's grandparent's house, sprayed with Rustoleum's Satin Eden
  • White Ceramic Fish: $15 on clearance at Target
  • Overhead light: From Home Depot, sprayed with Rustoleum's Satin Eden, wrapped the cord with jute that Emily had in her craft room, total of $33.25
  • Rusted egg basket: $21 from Haupt Antiek
  • Frames over the bed: Ikea Ribba Frames $9.99 each for a total of $30
  • Maps inside the frames: $1/each from Junk Bonanza
  • Oar: Swiped from Emily's parent's cabin, painted with her wedding anniversary
  • Bonfire Photo: Anniversary gift from her honey last year, artist is Katie George.  They picked it up on their annual trip to Bayfield, Wisconsin's Applefest, frame found at Hobby Lobby.
Grand total: $238.25!  Not bad eh?!

It is so fun to see a room makeover under $250!  Goes to show what a little patience, DIY and searching can get ya!


So who is inviting themselves over to Em's home for a sleepover?  Me me me!!

39 comments:

  1. So pretty, fresh and simple. I love that blue headboard! I'd be interested to read how it was made, if there is a previous post about that? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ignore me, I've just realised you already linked to the door/headboard conversion at the beginning of the post! I'm just having a dizzy day :-)

      Delete
    2. :) It was a pretty simple project if you ask me. Now if you ask the Hubs, he might have a different opinion! ;) It was totally worth it though!

      ♥Emily

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful room. It looks as though it has been that way forever! Emily you did a gorgeous job, your guests are going to feel so special in a room like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alli! I keep walking by the room and staring at the finished product :)

      ♥ Emily

      Delete
  3. The headboard is super....I love it....good job with rool
    Jx
    http://www.lifelovesand.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing ! What a great guest room. Nobody will want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. STUNNING!! That headboard is seriously the perfect statement piece, and I really love the way you guys tied in the blues and greens in such a balanced, creative way. There are just some many cool details, from the maps and pillows to the light fixture and cart to the curtains and accessories -- and the way you tied in the driftwood and the oar and even wrapped the flippin' light cord?! So awesome! It definitely shows that you both took your time and put a lot of thought into styling this room. I can't believe you did all of that for less than $250! You ladies are totally my heroes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my day Casey! Such a sweet, thoughtful comment :) Thank you!

      ♥ Emily

      Delete
  6. Loving the headboard! and the color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am LOVING that you painted the walls gray even though you have wood trim. I've been too afraid to do this in my own home, but after seeing how it turned out in your home, I'm going for it! We have beautiful wood trim in our home, but the only thing you see in blog-land is white trim, so I've been afraid that gray would clash with the wood. Boy was I wrong! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it girls! The headboard is gorgeous. I love the colors too. (We just redid our bathroom and did the very same colour scheme. Now I feel extra great about it because I always love the fresh colors on this lovely blog!). The map pillow is so sweet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love this especially the budget! I can't say enough about how much I LOVE your blog. I was just thinking about sewing pillow covers and I haven't done any before and there's a link in this post! Can't wait to keep reading. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the headboard! I have been wanting to do one for a while now, but how did you attach it to the wall? I'm pretty new at this stuff so I have no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawndai!
      We used a french cleat to hang the headboard on the wall. You can find them by the mirrors at home improvement stores. I found this one, which is similar to what we used: http://www.amazon.com/55312-Hangman-13-Piece-French-Picture/dp/B005PUC4KE

      You attach one piece to the headboard and one piece to the wall and then fit them into one another. It was super easy!

      ♥Emily

      Delete
  11. this is so gorgeous and it's so good that it was achieved on such a modest budget. What a great improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks beautiful. I am curious about that ceiling light. I was considering the same one for my son's room, but my husband was concerned that it would direct the light down too much, so that after dark there wouldn't be enough light around the room. Can you comment on that, Emily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laurabeth! I was worried about the amount of light that the fixture would cast too. It's a light brighter than I thought! I think the white interior of the fixture helps reflect a lot of light.

      Hope that helps!
      ♥Emily

      Delete
  13. I'd love to hear more about the junk bonanza. Where is it? When is it? I need to go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby! It's a event in Minnesota with tons of different "junk" vendors. You can check out the details here: http://www.junkbonanza.com/

      ♥Emily

      Delete
  14. Oh wow! I would love to feature you on my blog sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!! I love the headboard and all the accessories!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so fantastic and inspirational! my favorite elements are the headboard, oar, michigan pillow, quilts...ok, honestly, i could list everything as My Favorite. you have done an exceptional job and, from looking at the before pictures, it's obvious how much effort you put into this project. but the room itself looks entirely effortless. that's what makes it so cozy and welcoming. bravo emily! can't wait to see the bathroom redo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it looks amazing. I just want to get into that bed! I really want to paint our headboard now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Thank you!!!! I have been searching for weeks for just the right "peacock blue" to paint a Queen Ann Chest of drawers & I think you found it for me. I love this color of your headboard in your photos. Beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this room! Looks totally cozy and functional. I can come stay as a guest if you ever need someone to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! I enjoy reading your blog very much! I need help. My family travels ALL the time and we have trouble staying organized. What do you use to stay organized? Any helpful hints for staying organized while traveling would by greatly appreciated. i HEART you! Haha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the transformation! How is the headboard attached? Is it attached to the bed frame or mounted on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!!! Please let me know - I am dying to do that headboard! Brilliant!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Chris & Betsy!
      We used a french cleat to hang the headboard on the wall. You can find them by the mirrors at home improvement stores. I found this one, which is similar to what we used: http://www.amazon.com/55312-Hangman-13-Piece-French-Picture/dp/B005PUC4KE

      You attach one piece to the headboard and one piece to the wall and then fit them into one another. It was super easy!

      ♥Emily

      Delete
  22. $238?! That's not only "not bad," it's amazing! Love, love the blue headboard. Great job, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love everything about this bedroom makeover--colors, simplicity, recycled items, cost, etc. A job very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is amazing! A $250 makeover is always a treat! It is nice to see a realistic budget and a room totally transformed! Reminds me of the awesome apartment makeover you helped your brother with.

    ReplyDelete
  25. how do you attach the headboard to the bed frame- or is it just attached the wall? I'm someone that likes to move furniture so i hesitate attaching a headboard to the wall. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi!
      We used a french cleat to hang the headboard on the wall. You can find them by the mirrors at home improvement stores. I found this one, which is similar to what we used: http://www.amazon.com/55312-Hangman-13-Piece-French-Picture/dp/B005PUC4KE

      You attach one piece to the headboard and one piece to the wall and then fit them into one another. It was super easy!

      ♥Emily

      Delete
  26. I love the transformation!! What a lovely space:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very nice. This is a good idea for the guest room i am working on. Hopefully I will be able to show on my blog eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! Was it difficult to add the molding to the headboard?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.