Thursday, August 16, 2012

67 UHeart Organizing: Hidden Kitchen Organizer

Today I am excited to welcome Chelsea, who is hopping over to contribute from Two Twenty One.  She has created an incredible project to help us get the side {or front} of our fridge cleaned off and clutter free {FOR GOOD!}

Hey, IHeart readers!  I'm excited to be here and show you my latest project that helped tame the madness that was the side of our refrigerator.  I think most of us are guilty of slapping stuff on the fridge because it's one of the easiest things to do.

So, if the following is a reoccurring exchange in your house, this project is for you.  "Honey, where's the Chinese takeout menu?" On the fridge.  "Honey, where's the water bill?"  On the fridge.  "Honey, where's that wedding invitation?"  On the fridge.  "Honey, where's the dog?"  On the fridge.  Just kidding.  Your dog probably shouldn't be on the fridge.


Obviously, the inspiration behind this project started with the monstrosity that was the side of our fridge.  I was tired of looking at the mess everyday.  It had gotten so out of control that I found coupons that expired in 2010 when I was cleaning everything off of it.  Yowza.


I decided that I needed to clean up my act... and find a place to hide the important things we put on the fridge.  It dawned on me to use the inside of one of our kitchen cabinets.  It wasn't doing anything special other than hiding the spices and other random things in that cabinet anyway, so I decided to put it to work.


I went to Lowes and purchased two sheets of metal.  The inside of the cabinet door measured 18" x 24".  It was cheaper to purchase two 12" x 24" sheets than it was to buy a larger sheet and cut it to size.  I took a magnet with me to test the sheet metal.


I used Liquid Nails to secure the sheet metal to the inside of the door.


Instead of cutting one of the pieces of sheet metal to size, I decided to overlap them.



I set some books on top of the sheet metal and left it alone for 24 hours, allowing the Liquid Nails to dry.


While the cabinet door was drying, I worked on the clothespin organizer.  When I was at Lowes, I picked up a 24" piece of pine craft wood and had them cut it down to 18" so it would fit the width of the door.  I grabbed some clothespins and glued them on with E6000 glue.  You could use Liquid Nails or wood glue.  I used E6000 because it was closer in proximity to me that the Liquid Nails.  I mean, who wants to get up and walk an additional 20 feet for glue?  Not I.  I let the clothespin organizer dry for 24 hours.


After the Liquid Nails had dried, I used leftover shelf liner from my dresser turned TV stand project on the sheet metal to give it some pizzazz.


I gave the clothespin organizer a couple of coats of spray paint.  Then I attached three magnetic strips to the back.


The hidden kitchen organizer has been working beautifully for us.  We can organize our stuff and hide it at the same time.  I think the fridge is a little lonely without all those things on it, but it'll get over it.


We use the clothespin organizer to corral our take out menus, bills, random important things {i.e. jewelry store gift certificate}, and fitness class schedules.


On the top portion, we have important business cards, spare car keys, wedding invitations, some random photos {that's my brother and me in the laundry basket, circa 1986}, and magnets.  If we need the space, we'll remove the photos, which are in magnetic frames.


One thing I like to do on my personal blog, is share how much I spent on a project.  What can I say?  I like transparency.
  • 2 pieces of 12" x 24" sheet metal: $7.88
  • 24" piece of pine craft wood: $1.37
  • Magnetic strips: $1.04
  • Liquid Nails: already owned
  • E6000 glue: already owned 
  • Shelf liner: already owned
  • Spray paint: already owned
  • Clothespins: already owned
Grand total: $10.29
 
If you don't have the items that I already had, it would probably cost you an additional $10-$15 for this project.
 
What do you say - do you think you'll put one of your kitchen cabinet doors to work and give your fridge a break?


"Hey friends!  I'm Chelsea from Two Twenty One!  I'm a twenty-something living in Indiana with my husband, Brad, and our crazy mutt, Jack.  My loves are photography, travel, DIY projects, baking, wine, sarcasm and my iPhone.  The husband and I are attempting to make our home a little less cookie cutter and a lot more awesome.  My little slice of the Internet, Two Twenty One, is where I share my latest home improvement projects, furniture makeovers, crafts, recipes and home & seasonal decor ideas.  I am beyond excited to join Jen and the rest of the IHeart Organizing team!" 


 

67 comments:

  1. I love this! It would be a perfect addition to our kitchen. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic project. I love that it's hidden, but still looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I definitely have some cabinets where I could do this!

    Thanks, also, for sharing how affordable this project was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will Chelsea answer questions here or do we have to go to her blog? Assuming here - my question is does your cabinet door close all the way now with the things hanging ? It looks like the clothespin organizer is further out than the side of the door. I'm not sure mine would close & then the shelves would hit all the hanging items and constantly fall off when I shut the door. Did you run into this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila! Great question. I worried about that too, but there's enough space to accommodate the clothespin organizer, even with the shelf.

      Delete
  5. Love this! Hidden storage is a beautiful thing :)

    Elisabeth@Simply Parkers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sneaky idea! I really love it! I use to put thinks to the doors of my desk, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So clever, Chelsea! I, too, was wondering if the door closed all the way now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Love your blog too, Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Makes me want to do this to ALL my cabinets!
    Jamie in Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome idea! I hate refrigerator mess, too. A while back I made some of the scrapbook paper decorated clothespins with magnets on the back that I've seen around, and that helps me not feel so bad about it. But this is even better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great job! thanks for sharing this! I gues we all have had that refrigerator wall side problem, glad you solved yours and hopefully I can do the same to mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project, Chelsea!!! Love the paper you chose, and I have a thing for clothespins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful project, Chelsea!! One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing crowded fridge doors. I love that used a space that is accessible, but still hidden. Very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant idea, and SO adorable! I love finding unexpected uses for unused spaces! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chelsea.. what a clever idea! I love that you posted the cost of things too! Thanks for the great tutorial... it won't let me pin the pic of it to pinterest for some reason... hope I don't forget this great tip! I need it :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathi! That's weird that it won't let you pin it. I tried it out and it worked for me. Were you pinning from the post URL? Maybe try to refresh the post page and see if that works. :)

      Delete
  17. This is an awesome project, I want to make one! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! So cute and functional and so inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you sure you didn't take a picture of my fridge? :) Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't imagine anyone has a frig that does not need cleaning/organizing on the outside (as well as the inside). The door and one side of mine are UGH! Such clever ideas you present here. As always, thank you.

    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chelsea, that is just awesome! I love a clean fridge and this is a great use of that hidden space!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea and have wanted to do similar projects inside our kitchen and office cabinets. I can't find the sheet metal without it costing a fortune or it's really thick. Where did you find yours? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Erika! I purchased the sheet metal from Lowes. Happy hunting!

      Delete
  23. Dumb question- where do you get magnetic strips?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this idea!! But, I rent :/ I'm wondering if I could attach the sheet metal with lots of command strips somehow?? or some other less permanent way? Any ideas? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I don't know if command strips would be strong enough. You could make two or three clothespin organizers and attach them with command strips.

      Delete
    2. I tried this with cookie sheets from the Dollar Tree and those scotch "restickables"....if you use a large enough square, it should be fine...! When I tried to stretch mine out(because I was running low)but cutting the strips smaller, they would fall down, but when I left it alone, and use the recut square the way that it was, they stay up there!

      Hope this helps!!

      Delete
  25. Great idea Chelsea - and such a GREAT low price too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thats the side of my fridge too... :O( I thought stainless not being magnetic would solve the crowded fridge problem, but it just moves it to the side like this! Your solution is awesome! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you very much for this idea! I have not so many things, but the some things were hanging at my kitchen calendar. It was always hanging awry. After reading your post I went to the kitchen and... 5 minutes later:
    http://bscrapt.blogspot.de/2012/08/der-sommer-kommt-wohl-doch-noch-mal.html
    It ist so cool!!!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love it- Im thinking about doing this, but insead of over lapping the sheet metal, buying cork squares (super cheap at Target for back to school) to fill in the gap the metal doesnt cover.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's a good idea, and my fridge does look like the before shot. The problem for me is that old "out of sight, out of mind" thing. I have to have bills out in the open or I forget to pay them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Chelsea & Jen for sharing this. What a great idea. I love it. I can completely see doing something like this in my kitchen. Going on the to-do-list. ;) Have a great weekend ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is awesome! I should do this in my kitchen, it would make it look so much cleaner without stuff all over the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good stuff Jen! I love that shelf liner!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I never thought you could over lap sheet metal. This project looks easy to do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love it! This may just be a project that gets done while hubby is out of town

    ReplyDelete
  35. Would magnetic paint work too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use magnetic paint, but it might cost more than the sheet metal. That, and I haven't heard the best reviews of magnetic paint.

      Delete
    2. The magnetic paint is a bit more expensive and you need to do multiple coats for it to work awesomely. I have used it, and I do like it, but the sheet metal is a quicker, less costly alternative! :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  36. What a great idea! I wish I could do something like this, my cabinets are no where near where my phone is. Maybe when I redesign my kitchen. =) I installed a 6 inch shelf (about 16 inches under my phone so I could store an accordion bag (folder) for my needed kitchen/children papers and posted my calendar next to my phone. It's been working so far. Loved the photos. Thanks for sharing the price too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Does your door still close properly? From the picture it doesn't look like the inner bit is inset so wouldn't parts of it hit on the shelves? I too love this and wish it would work at my place but just don't think i have the right style of cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia! Good question. I worried about that too, but there's enough space to accommodate the clothespin organizer, even with the shelf.

      Delete
  38. Oh yeah...I'm totally going to do this!!! I think I might do it on the back of my pantry door so I have even more space. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is wonderful! The side of our fridge is definitely a "catch all" and I find myself "straightening" it before people come over out of embarrassment. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great idea! I found this to be fun and Chelsea is a very entertaining blogger. Thank you for sharing the DIY project and especially the financial details of the project. Great guest blogger! Thanks for having her on here, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Chelsea, I am all over this! I love keeping my fridge clear and there is always so much "necessary clutter." Really great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love this idea. One tip; I've made myself lots of custom magnet boards. I always get the metal cut for me at our local heating and cooling place. It's what they use for duct work. They can cut any size, even circles. The price has always been very cheap (they can use left over pieces for smaller boards), and it will fit perfectly without overlap.

    ReplyDelete
  43. 3 places in my kitchen that looked awful last week: 1) a shelf my husband dumped his keys, wallet, and phone on 2) the front and side of my fridge and 3) my junk drawer.

    After I saw this project, I did it and it turned out exactly how I wanted it to! Now, my husband has a place to put all is stuff! The junk drawer is clean and my fridge is clutter free! THANK YOU!

    Oh...as for my kid's art work? I put it in magnetic frames on the door to the garage. They love it and it looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would love to use this in my desk that I am putting in my new home office. We have had an unfinished room in our basement that we have used for some time as a storage room. I am excited to be finishing this room and making it into a home office. I love to scrapbook, make my own cards, and label everything, so this piece would work great for many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Any ideas on how to do this w/o gluing it into the cabinet? We live in an apartment and I dont want to ruin the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is a great idea! I will certainly do this, if and when we move to a house of our own. Right now we live in a rented townhouse, so I will see if I can work it out somehow with Command fasteners. All the pictures, etc. in our unit are up on the walls with Command hooks and picture hangers.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love it!! Would you need to glue down the shelf liner?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great idea and inspiration!

    I assume this is permanent? We own our on house, but thinking for the future and if we had to sell the house would be able to take this down?

    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Liquid Nails are drying as we speak! Decided to get the bigger pieces and cut them for multiple doors-figured if I was doing one, then four could only be better!! Now to find some cute paper to cover it with!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Really cool post, highly informative and professionally written..Good Job

    ReplyDelete
  52. I think I may have a crush on you!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is so cute and functional!!! You ROCK! Couple questions - what do you adhere shelf liner with? (I'm VERY new to this home organizing/altering of things!). And, what are the little circle things that hold the keys? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee!

      Contact paper actually has an adhesive backing which removes residue free. It's fabulous. And the circle things are magnetic hooks, I have seen them at The Container Store and Crate & Barrel.

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  54. This is a great idea. The side of my fridge is packed! And ugly! Thanks. http://imlivingthegoodlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.