Wednesday, August 22, 2012

39 Reader Space: Creative & Compact Laundry Storage

By now, you all know that I can't get enough of IKEA when it comes to my organizing habits.  I love to "hack" their items, combine their different pieces and even use them "as is", because no matter how you slice it, they offer inexpensive and versatile storage.

So when I saw how Kim simply and creatively pieced a few IKEA items together for her laundry space, I just knew I had to pass the awesomeness along.


Kim is in the process of updating and falling in love with her bungalow, and one room she focused on was her laundry room.

Kim blogged: 

"The space always felt like a dingy closet instead of a laundry room.  First things first, we changed the wall colors from boring beige to a bright blue.  We also resurfaced the floor with peel and stick floor tiles so the floor felt nice, new and clean.  The challenge then became storage. We had a ton of hanging space but nowhere to fold clothes or store laundry soap, towels, etc.  So we cleared out one corner to make room for some furniture.  However I couldn't find any prefab furniture to fit the space.


I'm not quite sure how I came up with this, but I'm sure my weekly trips to IKEA at this time had a lot to do with it.  I decided to construct my own laundry storage/folding station...and here's how I did it!

If you've ever been to IKEA, you've probably seen the
Expedit storage system.  It comes in 3 colors and at just $39 it's a pretty good bargain! This will act as the base for the unit. IKEA also sells standalone table tops in a variety of sizes and colors at about $20 each.  I opted for white, but they also have a black-brown and a stainless steel option if you want a more of a modern look.  The table top functions as the folding space.  In order to complete the piece, legs are needed to hold up 3 out of the 4 corners.  The 4th corner is held up by the Expedit.  The legs can be as cheap as $3.50 each if you don't need an adjustable size.  Otherwise, the legs ended up costing me about $45...which is kind of crazy because neither the table top or Expedit cost that much!  

 
Here's the final product! We added a couple of baskets, shelves and a pendant light shade to finish off the space. 



It now functions as the perfect space for us to fold our laundry!"

  • All of the items pieced together really finish off the laundry room!  Such a difference!
  • I always love when the standard options don't work, and peeps don't settle.  It's all about finding ways to mix and match items until we truly achieve practical and versatile storage!
  • The table top makes for a great place to instantly fold the laundry as it comes out of the dryer.  A total back-saver!
  • I adore that the laundry basket tucks nicely under the table top.  Using the space under the counter really maximized a small room.
  • The Expedits go down as my favorite piece of storage furniture ever and this just another example why!  The cubbies are fabulous for stashing away laundry essentials and also acting as a base to the table.
Simple, pretty, practical and affordable.  Seems like a major win to me!  You can find more details over on Kim's blog here.

It got me wondering, what is your favorite IKEA combination?  Anyone else piecing a few pieces of furniture together, to achieve the storage you were longing for?


ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please submit your story and photos here and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog! 

39 comments:

  1. Beautiful redo! Really wishing I had Ikea closer than 3 hours away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Yeah, it's hard to beat IKEA for DIY decorating with options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this too and would totally copy the idea if my laundry weren't too small for this. ;)

    When I could not find the perfect nightstand for my daughter I bought an Ikea "Ingolf" stool and transformed it into a nightstand for her which turned out really really cute. Come and see it here:

    http://inside9b.blogspot.de/2012/08/vintage-nightstand-diy.html

    Jule inside 9B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your organizing tips, I am always trying to make everything look better by organizing. I'm following you, Come follow me back @ http://www.onecreativeprocrastinatinggal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello how are you. The articles on your blog is very interesting .. I am very happy to visit your blog. thank you...

      Delete
  5. LOVE THE CLOTHES FOLDING TABLE!!!! I'm planning on painting my laundry room that some color here soon, and I love how she accented it with the little things. Great job.
    I am heading off to Ikea this weekend (actually, the trip is to see family in seattle, but I always make Ikea a stop when we are nearby) and while I'm there I'm picking up 6(!) MICKE drawer units to start a new built in computer station for four people in our new homeschool/playroom. If the project turns out well, I'd love to submit it for your approval.
    I used the MICKE drawer units for our night stands too (they are originally intended for office work) and they have quickly become some of my favorite pieces. I also have several LACK side tables and big plans for a mudroom using the EXPIDIT system (that will probably have to wait a few more months...sadly...
    Goodness...I love having a new home...it's like a blank canvas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please please please send me your photos! :) I can't wait to see how it turns out!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Thank you Andrea! I thought since I spend so much time in there, I might as well make it a space I enjoy!

      Delete
  6. This is such a good idea! I never would have thought to do something like that.

    I'm very jealous of all these non-utility room laundries :( I wish I were more creative in finding a way to make ours look nicer or to hide the furnace, water heater, and water softner in ours. Plus, it's in a non-finished room of the basement...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out my laundry room you will see that I used a curtain to hide our furnance & Water heater. Hope it gives you some ideas for your space. Just make that area of your basement finished. Put in some peal & stick tiles to have a clean floor and add storage or a table to fold. Good Luck! :)
      http://thedecorscene.blogspot.com/2011/07/laundry-room-progress.html

      Delete
  7. love, love, LOVE this. I am currently working on our laundry room and can use all the inspiration I can get! Thanks for sharing!
    Susan

    www.achievingcreativeorder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'd love to check out your space when it's done!

      Delete
  8. I might have just found the perfect piece to finish off our laundry room. We all can use as much storage as possible right? Using the Expedit in our Laundry Room as an area where we can put our "work" shoes for the garden and even our work clothes...I never know where to put those pants and shirts that have paint and spackle all over them. haha!!! I love how this project turned out. Thanks for sharing Jen. You can check out this post with all of the Ikea storage we used so far for our laundry room. http://thedecorscene.blogspot.com/2011/07/laundry-room-progress.html
    We used a Billy Bookcase with doors, AKURUM cabinets and some Ikea shelves too. I love IKEA!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thinking! I love piecing Ikea and/or other systems together for functional storage and extra workspace. Love the spa-like color too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love coming across creative, affordable,and stylish space solutions. I think this is great. Nice touches and very orderly.
    Julie at Simply Savvy
    http://gosimplysavvy.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nicely thought out and put together. Thanks for featuring these guest ideas along with your own. So much talent.

    Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a great and budget friendly idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been eyeing the IKEA expedit system for a long time now. I think I am sold on it after seeing your magic— you did a great job! I see them on Craigslist all the time and was thinking I could this even cheaper (and less building time) if I went that route. My family has an obsession with Craigslist— we furnished our entire home practically with it. http://familysponge.com/create/cool-home-ideas/home-tour-second-hand-treasures/

    Love your website Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have any suggestions on cute laundry basket solutions? I desperately want some in my bathroom but I have no where to hide them like this (I LOVE THIS BTW), any hints would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristina, I just posted on the storage solution for small room including laundry basket. Hopefully this will help you!
      http://dearcollegestudent.blogspot.com/2012/08/storage-solutions-for-small-bedroom.html

      Delete
  15. I love your ideas, very inspiring. I just purchased a groupon to get the laundry room painted ( super affordable). Now I just need some nifty ideas:)
    Great Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Where is the yellow bin on top from?? I need I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haley!

      I believe she found it at HomeGoods, I have one very similar in another color. :)

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's from HomeGoods! Good eye, Jen!

      Delete
  17. I love it all, but where is the rug from?! Lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it is a Martha Stewart rug from Macy's. I have the same one in my kitchen and I adore it!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Ding ding! Jen is correct! Martha Stewart for Macy's! The quality of this rug is amazing! Very soft and durable.

      Delete
    3. Thanks:) The whole room is gorgeous! I have a rental house we are getting fixed up to sell and this would be PERFECT!

      Delete
  18. I am getting ready to use an expedit (8 compartments) & the drawer systems in 4 of them to make a dresser, changing table, AND night stand in my upcoming nursery. I am really excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome!! I think I have seen something similar on Pinterest and it was fab!

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  19. A must be for ADORABLE! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! Thank you for your idea :) I am a big fan of Ikea and I actually post some combination furniture from IKEA (all under $15) to small-space storage solution. Check it out!

    http://dearcollegestudent.blogspot.com/2012/08/storage-solutions-for-small-bedroom.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a lovely laundry room. Please consider putting any cleaning supplies up higher where little fingers and mouths can't get into them. It only takes a second and life changes forever. The lower storage is lovely for a lot of other items.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent and helpful post… I am so glad to left comment on this. This has been a so interesting read, would love to read more here….

    ReplyDelete
  23. where do u get peel and stick tile from? Is it easy to remove?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I created a laundry / storage cabinent out of an IKEA armoire!

    http://createbakecelebrate.blogspot.com/2012/10/create-linen-cabinet-from-ikea-armoire.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.