Wednesday, July 25, 2012

40 Reader Space: A Bright Boy's Bedroom Remix

With three boys taking over our home, I am always on the look out for creative organizing solutions for kids and their personal spaces.  In fact, we are gearing up to focus on our oldest son's bedroom, so today's reader space couldn't have come at a better time.


Camille wrote and shared a boy's bedroom that she recently updated and organized and when I saw the outcome, I knew it would leave all sorts of mommies out there, with a plethora of new ideas for their own kid's spaces.

Hey Jen,

I'm starting up a little part-time decorating/organizing business and just finished up one of my first rooms -- a little boy's.  I'm particularly proud of the huge vintage crate I transformed into a tidy place to store large toys.  I also hung inexpensive, clear Ikea plastic bins from cup hooks in the vertical space under his loft bed {and behind curtains} for toy storage that is easily seen and cleaned-up. 

I posted about it all here.

Thanks for taking time to look and have a great day!
Camille



Here is Parker's room before Camille got her hands on the space:


And here it is now!


"It was important to Parker's mom that he be able to see his toys so that he will play with them.  The clear bins {from IKEA} rest on cup hooks screwed into the wood on the bed.  They can removed by simply lifting the off the cup hook, contents played with, cleaned up, and returned to the hooks.  I made the chalkboard labels by painting printer labels with chalkbord paint.

 
All of the toys that wouldn't fit in the plastic bins went in this thrifted vintage crate.  I attached the casters, gave it a white wash stripe around the top, and added the rope handles to the pre-existing holes.





Parker loves math and numbers, so I attached stenciled numbers to a bunch of clipboards and Mod-Podged over the top for durability.  Now he has an easy way to put up calendars and his school work.



We used a thrifted frame for the map of California which was free from AAA.  The Bygel rail system from Ikea helps Parker to organize his desk supplies.  Rachel already had the corkboard squares.  I doubled them up {they're never thick enough for a typical pushpin} and covered them with leftover fabric for additional places to pin keepsakes.

Parker has been able to keep it cleaned and organized, which I know his mom is happy about.  And she is also have to report that he uses his desk now!"

  • The room feels extremely collected over time.  It has a great mixture of textures and patterns to keep it visually fun and interesting for a little guy!
  • All of the systems put in place are extremely simple and effective.
  • The clear tubs on hooks under the bed is simply genius.  I love that it is easy to access open storage.
  • I adore that the labels are DIY chalk labels and that Parker can switch out his toys and keep the same system as he grows.
  • The curtains to conceal the area under the bed are divine.  I not only love the stripes, but I really get excited about the idea of having a little "escape" of a place to play and create and imagine.  It can get messy with toys and still keep the integrity of the rest of the room, just by closing the curtains.  So smart!
  • The numbered clipboards not only add instant art to the room, but are also functional so Parker can keep track of his schoolwork!
  • Vintage + Storage = Swoon.  Adding some simple casters to an old crate adds inexpensive storage that would cost boatloads at some higher end stores.  I also love that they went the extra mile to add rope handles and paint some detailing around the top edge.
  • What's not to adore about the red desk?  The color is amazing, and the Bygel rail system for stashing supplies up and off of the desk is such a great use of space.

A huge hug and THANK YOU to Camille for taking the time to write in and share the inspiring and playful boy's bedroom remix!  Again, you can find the details on her blog here.

What's your favorite moment?  Anyone snag a great idea from today's space?  Now, here is hoping someone submits a fun little girl's room {hint hint} to share!



ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please submit your story and photos here and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

40 comments:

  1. What a fun and functional room. Love that green rug & black and white curtain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green rug is so pretty! A place to play, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where did the green and white rug come from? that is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was this one from Urban Outfitters: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24646812&color=040&color=040&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=SEARCH+RESULTS

      They used to offer it in a variety of colors, but now I only see the blue...

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
  4. I also would love info on the rug. It's my favorite thing . . . !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was this one from Urban Outfitters: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24646812&color=040&color=040&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=SEARCH+RESULTS

      They used to offer it in a variety of colors, but now I only see the blue...

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous room for a little boy. Love the vintage crate toy box!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric P on the wall and am thinking I need to do it for my own little boy! And what a fun but useful transformation. Gorgeous, functional, and kid-friendly without being kiddy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Gives me some ideas for my little boy's room! I'm so happy I found your blog today. I truly thought I was the only person in the world who enjoyed organzing. It's so nice to find out I'm not the only one! I'll be a dedicated reader from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So simple, yet so functional and perfect for a little boy. I was thinking about usnig green as the "accent" color for my son's room. Thought confirmed. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where can I find this BED? I need the dimensions - we are lacking space in my son's room and this would remedy it right up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, what an honor to be featured on your blog today. Thank you!
    At the beginning of August, I'm going to start transforming Parker's twin sisters' room. That should be fun!

    Yes, the green stamped scallop rug is from Urban Outfitters. Jen is right that they only offer the blue color now -- it's just as cute! I do recommend a rug pad if you get it though.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camille,
      You did a great job of transforming this room into a super FUNctional space! ;) I particularly loved the curtain on the loft bed and the numbered clip boards. You've gotten my creative juices flowing!

      Thanks for sharing!

      Jenni Gallegos

      Delete
  11. What a smart room for a boy! I love the crate too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this space and think it would really work for my oldest boy, too. I am curious about the bed-was in homemade? And, you wrote, "The clear bins {from IKEA} rest on cup hooks screwed into the wood on the bed. They can removed by simply lifting the off the cup hook, contents played with, cleaned up, and returned to the hooks." What are cup hooks? And, which specific bins from IKEA were used for that part of the project? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sara,

    The loft bed was already in the room. I can check with Parker's mom to see where they purchased it and get back to you with a comment. The clear bins from Ikea are SAMLA:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70102972/#/80102976

    They come in all different sizes, but I used the 15x11s, which run about five dollars each.

    I used regular cup hooks that you can find in your local hardware store. The lip of the bin just fits over the cup hook. You can a better picture of how it works here:
    http://thevintiqueobject.blogspot.com/2012/05/peek-at-parkers-room.html

    I was originally concerned that the plastic would not be strong enough, but I tested it by hanging a bin on cup hooks in my laundry room with a huge container of laundry soap in it. It held for a week, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a smart use of the space under the bed! I'm planning to get my little one a bed like that (Ikea sells them) and love the idea of curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! I have been working on my son's room and this is such great inspiration! LOVE the curtains that cover the bed . . . genius!
    THanks for sharing!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. The loft bed is from College Bed Lofts. Parker's mom reports that they had to put it together, but that it easier to do than Ikea stuff, and it's made of solid wood -- always a plus, in my opinion!

    http://www.collegebedlofts.com/order_loft_bed.html

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! One of those board dude boards looks SO like you, Jen! I bet you know the one I'm referring to! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great redesign! I like that it is simple and organized, but still feels warm and has a lot of character. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great host! I am heading over there to tell her! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the redo and the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, can you give directions on how you made the money ball or where it was purchased???

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm about to redo a bedroom for my 7 and 24 month old boys to share, to free up a room for a playroom, so it's lovely to get some good ideas. One small niggly detail though... the plural of Lego is just Lego. Like sheep. Or fish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm about to redo a bedroom for my 7 and 24 month old boys to share, to free up a room for a playroom, so it's lovely to get some good ideas. One small niggly detail though... the plural of Lego is just Lego. Like sheep. Or fish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susan, I wish I knew how to DIY the money ball, but Parker won it at a fair!

    Chewing Bunny, Lego is also plural. Duly noted. :)

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  26. HI Jen! I'm actually in the process of blogging my oldest boy's room redo....I'd love it if you checked it out...the bed will make you want to cry its so cool and I just (like one minute ago) posted a little snippet for bedside storage in lieu of a night stand!! You can see it at pastichepuggle.blogspot.com...stop and stay a while!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your room is really very clean & well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! I love the idea of a loft bed for my son, but worry about him getting up in the middle of the night to go the bathroom and falling. Anyone have any opinions about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son Parker loves his loft bed and has no issues getting in and out of bed. The big issues in making the bed and changing the sheets. A real pain for the mom. :) But he's never fallen out of it, fallen off the ladder or jumped off. He's a rule follower though with good gross motor skills so if your son isn't, it could be an issue...

      Delete
  29. Oh, what a darling room. And so different than things I have seen. Love that rug.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Am I the only one to comment on Jen's little "hint, hint" remark regarding a little girl's room? Do tell, Jen!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love, love LOVE this. I want someone to do my son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the red desk - do you know where it's from?

    Room looks awesome, thanks for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, the red desk is from Ikea, but has been discontinued. They have a similar style, but in more of a lacquered finish. Hope that helps!
      Camille

      Delete
  33. What a great transformation! I really like the soft green color on the wall. I've been considering doing light green and light blue in my youngest boys room. Great job! Bright and playful!

    http://mamaharriskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. For those of you asking about the loft bed loft bed, here's one we built.Only took a couple days and $50 in lumber! http://diyloftbed.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/we-made-a-loft-bed/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.