Monday, July 2, 2012

22 IHeart an Organized OlioHop!

A few weeks back I blogged about how I now use Olioboard as my way of creating room Style Tiles, which are also known as room design mood boards.  I shared how amazingly awesome, easy and free the program is and how it can really give you an idea of how a space can look, before actually taking the plunge and purchasing and assembling everything.

What I really love about Olioboard is that you can also use it as a way to help with your organizing projects, and to show you, I was personally invited to be part of a super sweet bloghop {a.k.a. Oliohop} being hosted by Olioboard!

I sway from time to time on my favorite spaces to design and organize.  Some days I may say playrooms, others I may lean towards craft rooms and office spaces.  Maybe I am drawn to both types of spaces since they are often times considered "creative" zones and also because they require additional organization and storage due to all of the items that are typically packed into these multifunctional spaces.

Since I already shared my "Playroom Must Haves", I thought today I would share my Organized Office Must Haves.  Then, for fun, I will share how I used Olioboard to help me whip up an example of an uber organized and stylish home office space {because the two should totally go hand in hand right?!}

So without further ado, my home office must haves:


{source}

The basic foundation of any office is a proper workspace, which should be sizable enough to handle basic bill paying and everyday office duties.


{source}

Whether sitting for a couple of minutes to check up on a few emails or for many continuous hours telecommuting, some cush for your tush will ensure you are left smiling at the end of your work session.


{source}

Working in poorly lit spaces can cause strain on your peepers, so I always recommend some sort of task lighting both on the work surface and also overhead.


{source}

One of the main functions of the home office is to manage all of those family and personal papers and documents.  Everything from bills to "To Do" lists, paper piles can stack up quickly.  Proper paper storage, whether wall mounted, a filing cabinet, or a combination of both, will keep the workspace clutter free.



{source}


Not every home office is intended to host a variety of crafts, but many do by nature.  From fabric and sewing materials to scrapbooking and wrapping supplies, every last function should be considered.  Larger armoires and cabinets are a great way to stash away craft materials of all sizes, and adding in baskets and jars for the smaller items gives you the perfect combination of great crafting storage.


{source}

Some of my favorite workspaces come with a pop of pattern and color.  Whether on the floor, on the wall or brought in through chair upholstery, pattern will ensure that the space where you "work" will leave you feeling inspired and cheerful.


So now that we know all of the items I am sure to consider and incorporate when working on any home office, I thought I would turn to Olioboard to go through the checklist and create the ultimate functional and organized workspace!

{source}

A fabulous desk combined with two super soft office chairs sets the stage for the space.  Task lighting doesn't have to be specific to swing arm lamps, a pretty table lamp can be equally as effective and bring some style to the room.  To manage paper clutter, a combination of wall mail sorters and a colorful filing cabinet should cover both current and archived paper piles.  Let's say this space is also doubling as a small studio, a tall armoire with glass doors, wire baskets and glass jars, allow the craft supplies and fabric swatches to remain visible and inspirational.  To bring in the pattern, the lovely wallpaper on a focal wall {or lining the back of the craft cabinet}, would be sure to be the icing on the organized office cake.  And never forget the fresh flowers!  No space is complete without them.

Isn't it neat how the moodboard covered all of the essential office requirements?  You could even go down to the specifics of pencil cup holders and drawer dividers if you wish!  Love.

Interested in seeing how other super creative and talented bloggers used Olioboard to conquer clutter?  Check out the links below!


Olioboard wants you to join into the fun as well!  Create an Olioboard to conquer one of your spaces and leave a link in the comments below!  I can't wait to see what you come up with!


22 comments:

  1. LOVE!! I will be pinning several of your photos to my home office makeover board! I'm going to have to check out your Playroom must haves too for my daughter's new space! Happy #OlioHop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your ideas on organizing an office space! Especially the comfy seating sometimes I choose seating because of the "look" and not comfort, bad idea. Happy Oliohop! Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to Olioboard, but it is easy to use and super-addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job with your organization Post especially the comfy seating. I'm so glad you mentioned that becasue people always throw ergonomics to the wayside. It is so important to have the correct office chair. Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do they give sources of where to find the items?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do and you can also clip and add your own items from any retailers on the internet. Right now Olioboard has about 15 to 20 stores but you add the clip-et button and take anything you want and ad it to your boards.

      Delete
  6. I love Olioboard and appreciate the introduction! I designed a board a few weeks ago to convert my son's room from nursery to big-boy decor. Just ordered everything this morning and am so excited to see it all come together when it arrives! Your office design looks fantastic, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog and all the gorgeous pictures! So glad to be in OlioHop with you! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Organized with style you can feel good in! Great post. Happy to OlioHop with you.

    http://gosimplysavvy.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE olioboard. I use it to dream up my ideal spaces all of the time. Here's my fantasy living room: http://cleansmartsimple.blogspot.com/2012/03/fantasy-in-navy.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your approch to getting it all done. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, thanks for these tips! I did read on your blog a while ago about Olioboard and created my own office space mood board. So addicting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to the blog post I did "DomesticBlissDiaries": http://www.domesticblissdiaries.com/2012/06/guest-post-house-dreaming-home-office.html

      Delete
  12. Jen, I loved the Olioboard! I just used it to brainstorm some ideas for our master bedroom http://houseonpender.blogspot.com/2012/06/master-bedroom-plans.html and I am working on one for our master bathroom. It's been great really thinking about the space as a whole prior to purchasing items, instead of going one step at a time. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried Olioboard a while back when you first mentioned it and could not figure it out. I recently gave it another try and I really love it, so thank you for introducing it on your blog. Here is the dining room/craftroom style tile I came up with:
    http://chaosinmycasa.blogspot.com/2012/07/dining-room-idea.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did a living room one just for fun! http://olioboard.com/boards/113284-source-living-room

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jen...there's nothing like having a lot of "white" in your office space to let your eye rest! Great pics for an office space. Enjoyed hopping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the space! I like how you incorporated pattern into the space with the wallpaper - great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your ideas. One day I hope to have a space to crate something lovely and all my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all your office ideas! I use Olioboard too - I love it. I have a design boards page on my blog (all created with Olioboard) - http://www.prettycitythings.com/p/design-boards.html - and I'm on Olioboard as beanieweanie (http://olioboard.com/users/beanieweanie).
    I just started following you on Olioboard too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job Jen!! Catching up today with blog comments after yesterdays OlioHop! Gotta love having another tool - like Olioboard - to keep thoughts organized as well as use to visually communicate to others your vision! I had visited you FB page, and also saw a FAB idea you had - So I pinned it! (The days of the week closet/outfit dividers for the boys - LOVED it!!

    Keep keeping things oRgAnIzEd!!!
    xo Lynda


    http://nyclq-focalpoint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. From your post a couple of weeks ago I discovered Olioboard also and here is mine!! I was so excited about it and loved your how to on how to use it that I blogged about it also!!
    http://www.bloggaboutit.blogspot.com/2012/06/workspace-olioboad.html
    I love how you can "pin" actual items right onto it from other sites!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.