Wednesday, March 21, 2012

50 Reader Space: A Nursery to Heart

The days of nursery organizing are long over for me, but it is something that I know many of you have asked about.  A good setup is so important because life is already crazy enough when baby arrives, and being flustered and not being able to find things like, "right now" only can add to any stresses that come from adjusting to a whole new life.  Today's reader totally rocked her nursery.  It's seriously the happiest place on earth....


Nadia wrote:

Hi Jen!
First let me tell you that your blog is a source of endless inspiration.  I too, love organization.  

I wanted to share my baby's nursery and closet.  I've been looking for before pictures but couldn't find any.  Let's just say that the before shot was a typical closet with a single rod and shelf on top, leaving a lot of wasted space at the bottom.

When planning my baby's nursery, I knew that the closet was going to be an important part of it.  I wanted to maximize the space we had, assign a place for everything and make it look pretty.  My first step was color.  The nursery has yellow and grey walls, so I painted the whole closet the same yellow.

Now for storage.  I first was set on have an Elfa system customized to my specifications, but after seeing the price tag I reconsidered.  I did a little more research and found something similar, IKEA's Antonius system.  After checking the closet measurements and their pieces, I knew it was going to work.  My husband installed everything.  He had to cut some of the shelves to fit the closet but it all worked out.  I got a lot of baskets in different colors and sizes and, going a little further I created some closest dividers to organize my baby's clothes.  Once everything was put together I just couldn't be happier!  It turned out much better than I expected.

I also wanted to keep things organized in the changing table, so I bought these compartments, that fit {4 of them} perfectly in the drawers.

Against all odds {people telling me it'll be impossible to maintain a nursery organized with a newborn} the closet, or for that matter the nursery looks just like the pictures most of the time.  Of course, from time to time you'll see boxes of diapers at the bottom of the closet, clothes on the bed and toys all over the rug, but in 5-10 minutes I can tidy everything up.  This has been a life-saver since I really enjoy being in this room.  Even with my little one is crying...

Hope you like it!
Nadia

"Like" is absolutely and understatement!  I am getting baby fever just oohing and ahhing over the beautiful and orderly space!

Check it out!

The entire space is just warm and cozy and the colors are simply divine!



I adore the attention to detail!



My favorite part of checking out any space, is peeking behind closet doors and inside drawers!




The changing station setup is fantastic!



Simply sweet!



  • The whole things is fantastic, what's not to love?  Her attention to detail is amazing.
  • Can you see this room down the road?  Some simple changes and it's still a room that can grow with baby!
  • She painted the inside of the closet a coordinating color.  How pretty is that yellow popping through?!
  • When her dreamy Elfa system prices were too high to handle, she found a comparable option that looks equally as great, on a tighter budget.  
  • Speaking of closet, look at all of that STORAGE!  It's not just a simple rod with a shelf above it.  It has room for rows and rows of hanging, drawers, shelves for baskets, oh my!  It's amazing the storage expansion you get from a system vs. typical closet setup.
  • The baskets in the closet are a great way to reduce a lot of the visual clutter that typically comes with all of the things that come with a baby.  That's right, babies are "thing" hoarders and it's amazing the amount of gear that you will find yourself looking to store {and conceal}. 
  • She organized the clothes by size and gave herself a simple system to be able to maintain it.  Those little dividers are just fabulous!
  • The drawer dividers from IKEA were a great solution to separating many of the smaller baby items, such as socks, bibs and onesies.  The placement of those items right at the changing table will also help her in a pinch.

A special THANK YOU to Nadia {you can find her blog here} for taking a moment to write and share her {and baby's} beautifully organized nursery.

What other nursery organizing tips got you through the baby days with a giant smile?  If you could give new mamas any single super solution, what would it be?


ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!  More info HERE.

50 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so beautiful!! Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's so pretty. Love the grey and yellow combo and the organisation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh the colors!!!! love it so! And you're right -- the details are amazing and absolutely make the space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! What an awesome job and all the details are right on. You can tell that some thought and hard work went into this room. And, is it me, or does room make you smile when you look at it? :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Kristin
    theocdlifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it.

    Question though: What is the reasoning behind hanging the hangers "backwards", with the hook part facing out? I've never seen that before! Seems like it would be slightly more annoying to hang stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, honestly I didn't notice the hangers backwards when I took the pictures. At that time my mom helped me set up the room, so probably it was her. I checked and now we have the hanges the "usual" way.

      Delete
    2. Hangers backwards is actually an approach I use in my own closet. I hang everything backwards, it goes in normally after it's been washed/worn. Then after a few months I make it a point to look at my closet and see what is still backwards on the hanger. Those are the first items to get purged out of the closet because I don't use them.

      Delete
  6. Its not often that I say I truly love everything about a room. Seriously, I LOVE it. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! These are the colors that we're using for our master bedroom. It's brilliant, and definitely something that can be transformed for an older child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with that Chevron wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I especially like the wall shelves that hold the books and the giraffes. Where can I get those? I thought they were from IKEA but I couldn't search them out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read her blog they are from pottery barn kids and range in price from $39.00-$62.00 depending on the size.

      Delete
    2. Hi ladies, yes, those are the Collectors shelves from PBK. We already had them from years ago, but they still carry them.

      Delete
    3. You could paint/spruce up these spice racks from IKEA to achieve a similar effect :) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40070185/

      Delete
  10. LOVE the colors!!! I am re-doing my guest bedroom and using these colors. What great ideas for adding a little color with all kinds of different things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The closet is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am stunned by this, seriously! I did a double take when I saw the photo. This room belongs in a magazine! I would never think that the stripes on one wall, and gray on the others would work, but this is amazing. I think she should start a decorating business pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this room

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful room I love it. I really like the accent wall

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Jen for the feature and thanks to your readers for their nice comments. This nursery was truly a labor of love and so worth it! We're so happy with how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This room had me at yellow and gray! I agree the attention to detail is wonderful in this room. Just seeing all the tubs holding the beautiful baby clothes in the drawer made me giddy! Amazing job and wonderful balance of the colors throughout the room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love a nursery that is great for both baby and parents. The yelllow and gray color scheme is quite sophisticated. Love the chevron pattern on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the diaper bag!!! Brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my diaper bag! Marc Jacobs.

      Delete
  19. Jen, I keep coming back to Becky's dining room/living room makeover. We are trying to figure out what to do with our dining room. We have a chair rail and a birch table and furniture though. Do you think if we painted the top of the wall that blue, it would look good with white on the bottom? Or should we do a lighter blue on top and that blue on bottom? I would love your opinion, because you have such a good eye for this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a white on the bottom would look lovely with the color I used in Becky's dining room. My only concern is it may be a challenge to keep clean, I haven't braved white walls yet so I don't know for sure.

      If you are doing two colors, I would stick with a darker color on the lower half and the lighter on the top {with the exception of doing the white on the lower, I think that could be really pretty. I also don't think it's all that bad to paint below and above a chair rail the same color.

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your input, Jen! I will send you a photo when we finish it.

      Delete
  20. Beautifully designed and organized. She should submit to ApartmentTheraphy's family blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love that giraffe (the big one on the floor) - Nadia, are you able to tell me where you got it? It would look perfect in my son's nursery too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, of course, the giraffe is from Melissa & Doug, but you can get it at Amazon for a better price: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-2106-Giraffe-Plush/dp/B00009YEGL/ref=pd_sim_t_1

      Delete
  22. Adorable designs and room is decorated very well. Loved this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. GREAT colors! we're looking for a cute & simple armchair like that for our nursery - where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  24. How silly of me! It never dawned on me to put a hook on the back of the nursery door for our diaper bags (Daddy has his own). Such a simple but genius idea! Love the whole setup and decor is amazing! Kudos to Nadia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is it wrong of me to admit complete depression and jealousy? Soo perfect and gorgeous!

    But I was on bedrest while we moved and had twins and when you do AP with health issues (mine, my girls are active and into everything as ever!!), you don't get to decorate like you expected. So I'll console myself with this fact as I go weep (not really, now I'm just making a joke). Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. "If you could give new mamas any single super solution, what would it be?" The one thing I would say, is that you don't actually need half the stuff you're lead to believe you need. :) Especially in the lotions and potions dept and the single-use items dept.

    lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! Especially the storage! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Do you have any tips for painting the two-toned wall? I love that look but how wondering how to keep it lined up just right to look so perfect like yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. oops nevermind...just saw it in your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for inspiring me to make my baby's nursery closet some size separators today! You can see them on my blog here:
    http://myrtlesandmagnolias.com/?p=628

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the mirror! Can you tell me where it's from?

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is me DREAM nursery! The yellow, gray, GIRAFFES! I'm a few years off from having little ones but I will definitely keep this for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is an astonishingly amazing room. I love everything about it, the colors, the chevron wall, the PBK shelves. I wish we had an Ikea nearby because I think it would make organizing much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMGoodness this nursery is adorable! I so need to do something in my sons closet (5months old). How long is your cloths rod. My closet has bifold doors and kind od small. I wasnt sure how long to make the cloths rod. Also whete did you get the month cloths dividers? That would be wonderful to have. I have all my extra cloths boxed away and im aways pulling them out to see what i have. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The mirror is from HomeGoods. The closet dividers are from the Container Store. I made a template with each category and printed them in wrapping paper.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Where did you find the baskets you used for the closet? I am looking for something like that to organize my boys closets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! What else can I say? I've been looking for ideas on how to re-organize my youngest son's closet. After two years of organized clutter, I'm ripping it apart, simplifying it and drawing inspiration from this post. Thank you Jen!! Your blog is one of my favorites to follow and I know I speak for a lot of moms out there when I say Thank You for your contributions :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. What is the name/brand of the grey paint?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi just wondering where you got the zig zag wall paper from?

    ReplyDelete
  40. The use of colors are the others have said is awesome. I absolutely love two things about this nursery room. How you didn't let the cost of a more expensive closet system stop you from finding what works for you. Thank God for handy husbands. What I also adore is that you kept a bed in the room beside the crib. My kids were just sick and as I made a makeshift bed for myself on the floor of their room I thought, why don't I have at least a stow away bed in here? This inspires me to see about making that change pronto!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.