Wednesday, February 29, 2012

33 Reader Space: A Pretty Play Food Storage Solution

How many of you have been faced with this dilemma?


I am pretty sure this is a common sight for many.  But today's reader whipped up a super adorable project to organize this play food mess, and I couldn't wait to show you!


Holly wrote:

Hi Jen!

Every since Christmas, I have been hunting for a play food storage solution.  I love play food just as much as my daughters do, so we have tons!  After Christmas it only got worse, so I knew something needed to be done.  Sadly, that before photo is not even all of it.  Most of our play food is Melissa & Doug, which I am thankful that most of the time they provide cute little wooden containers.... but, they don't stack!  So as cute as they are, they do us no good.  Also, I can hardly expect my one and two year old kiddos to put them into their respective containers each time we clean up.  So here is what we did!

We found a simple storage crate with drawers at JoAnn Fabrics, I am pretty sure I have seen similar ones at Michaels.  They are priced at $30 so with their typical 50% off coupon it can be scored for just $15!  I did some light sanding and just painted it.  Easy peasy.  You could leave it unfinished if you wished, I just took some tips from you after falling in love with your striped magazine files, and taped off the drawers with some painters tape to create the stripes!

It ended up fitting all of our play food with room to spare!  We keep it simple so that the kiddos can help clean up... so one drawer is "soft"/plush play food, and then the bottom two drawers are for their wooded play food.  It's truly the little things that make a mommy happy... because the things that make me happiest about this project is that all the play food is not STIFFED into the little fridge {to pour out each time they open it} and that it is now concealed into some cute storage!  The fact that my little ones can help clean it up also doesn't hurt a bit!

Thanks!
Holly
http://www.babysteps365.blogspot.com/

You have seen the before photo, so lets take a peek at the storage crate she snagged for a great deal:


And after it was all prettied up with some painted stripes?



Is it weird that I am sitting here all alone, grinning ear to ear as I gaze at my screen?  You all make me so happy I can't stand it!  I LOVE THIS!

  • She scored amazing storage for just $15 by using a store coupon!  Way to be thrifty!
  • It's simple.
  • The paint job instantly takes it from so drab to beyond fab!  Those stripes make my heart skip a happy beat!
  • This project does not need to be specific to play food.  It could be used in a bathroom, closet or in the playroom for any other type of toy!  Snag a couple and line them up for even more storage!  

Insanely adorable right?  Anyone else been snagging up some great unfinished wood pieces from the craft store, and giving them new life?  What other fun playroom projects do you all have going on?



ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life.  Please send your story and photos to iheartorganizing@gmail.com and I would heart to feature them right here, on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project, including any costs, inspiration, and how it has changed your life and routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!  More info HERE.

33 comments:

  1. I love the idea- I may try to do the same thing for the bathroom closet- One drawer for extra bath products, one drawer for shower toys (isn't it funny how kids would rather play with measuring cups and stuff sometimes in the bath rather than actual bath toys?)- and the top with washclothes that my 16 month old has to have when washing her face! Love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And the fact that these can be used in so many ways other than just for play food is fantastic! I like the idea of adding some vinyl lettering to the front to label what's inside

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! and you can use this for more then just play food storage! I'm thinking it would look pretty awesome in any room.. I may have to make one for my bathroom since I have a lack of storage in there. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am literally going to Michael's TODAY to get a couple of these! I have a 6 month old and I am constantly running up and down the stairs for more burp clothes, pacis, bibs, etc. It would be so nice to have an extra (organized) storage option in my living room! I could also use a second one as a little filing space for bills/crafting materials.. our living space is teeny so the more options the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let us know if you find them at Michael's. I don't have a Joann's close to my house. Thanks so much!

      Delete
    2. My Michaels did not have there :(

      Delete
  5. Looks great and much cuter than the plastic storage bins we have stacked in the playroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so much more functional than those plastic storage bins, right? Stacked on top of each other, they're so hard for the kids to get to what they want. With these drawers, that's no longer a problem!

      Delete
  6. This is SO cute! I can't wait to show my sister this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh..great idea..love the stripes ..will add this to my attempt organized lifestyle projects..I love to start with small project...but also have big impact. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out awesome! I like the drawer idea for the play food. I hadn't thought of that and it is also great because you can set something else on top (tea set, cookies, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so, speaking of the plastic drawers -- that's waht I have our play food in right now! How can I make that cute? It is white on top and around but has clear drawers. Maybe use my cricut to put something cute on teh front of each plastic drawer?? Help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely put that Cricut to use! What a fab idea! Mod Podge some pretty fabric or paper would be a great way to make it prettier as well! <3

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
    2. I love the fabric (or paper idea)!!! So, when you use fabric in your cricut -- what settings would you putit on?

      Delete
  10. I am in love with this idea! I have been in search for a great way to store my daughters play food also and this is perfect. I can also see it coming in handy for my own pantry and some crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was JUST grumbling about all the plush veggies scattered about the house! This is a great (and adorable) solution! I'm also curious if this wooden crate is carried at Hobby Lobby or Michaels as the closest Joann's is an hour away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. We have that same play kitchen but have all the play food in an Ikea bucket, that isn't very pretty. When they want something, they are always dumping it all on the floor to find what they are looking for. This is SOOO much better! I am going to Joann's tomorrow. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We store all of our daughter's in those plastic storage bins. They are so not as cute as this but functional. I think I need to come up with a way to make them cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea it would be perfect for other toys. I am currently in the process of redecorating my chidren's room without breaking the budget and this would definitly add cuteness and organization. It also will give a reason to break out my Silhouette that has been in the box since December (the shame).

    ReplyDelete
  15. We store our play food inside our play kitchen in fabric bins. Our kitchen is a big KidKraft, so there's lots of room inside the fridge, freezer, oven, and dishwasher to slide the bins inside. It works really well for us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can totally relate to the endless play food piles! The most recent thing I did to our toy room was add some DIY curtains. We have some storage shelves down in our large toy/laundry room and they needed some concealing. I got a drop cloth from Lowes, taped off chevron stripes and painted them in a bright cheery bluish/turquoise. I love them!! My legs were defintely sore after hours of taping off and painting, but they make me smile everytime I see them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds SO fantastic! <3 Don't you love those projects where the hours and hours of time investment are worth the days upon days of smiles?

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
  17. I would love to have this for my daughters' play kitchen as well. It reminds me of a little market, so cute! If anyone finds these and can give a little more information about them (brand name, price, etc) I would love that info, the closet JoAnn is so small and they do not have anything neat like this :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shirley said:
    So many ideas comes from this blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have the same issues with our Melissa & Doug food and this would be a much cuter solution that keeping it stored in the fridge or shopping cart (our current locations!). Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing this! Today my goal is to get the chaos that is our playroom under control. I see a trip to Joann's in my future. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. What a great crate! {I feel like Dr. Seuss}. I never even thought of striping something like that. What a great solution to all of that food mess. My wheels are spinning for where I can pretty up a crate like that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea ! I'm taking that coupon and head to the craft store right now. Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have various bins and baskets stored in the play kitchen for the food and other kitchen accessories, but I'm LOVING these drawers even more!! It's got my wheels a spinnin'

    ReplyDelete
  24. This could be modified to make awesome night stands...I'm thinking one on each side of my daybed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.