Thursday, July 14, 2011

65 Laundry Land: Part 2

Earlier this week I popped in with an update on our laundry room changes, since we are revamping things a bit as we finish up our lower level.  And let me tell you, we are in the middle of the craziest busiest week in Jones family history {Peyton's 7th birthday was Monday, our 10 year anniversary is... TODAY, we are celebrating our anniversary and renewing our wedding vows this Saturday, need I say more?}  What do most do when hosting a giant celebration?  Well, get crunching on those projects of course, our house has to be party ready!

I thought I would take a moment to share the fun I am having with my laundry room though, because it's just got me feeling so giddy inside.  However, I am totally to the point of wishing the trim and doors would magically just be installed when I wake up tomorrow since I know they will completely make the room feel more polished.  And since the installer is actually also my husband, who will actually be working and not installing my trim, please cheer for the magic trim fairy to come to me.... please oh please....

End of tangent.

Monday I left you wish this real time photo of the laundry space... seriously, the paint was probably still wet in spots!


The hubs actually was pushing for a yellow laundry room.  100039 points to Bryan for suggesting a paint color, I think it was a first and I couldn't have been more proud.  Really.  But I decided to keep it neutral, which is totally weird for me.  However, I also agreed that yellow would be a fun accent color to start bringing in as we continue to chip away at the space.

But before I show you anything yellow, you just gotta see the shelving transformation that took place.  It's pretty sweet, if I don't say so myself.

We always had a single shelf above the washer and dryer, but I never really loved the fact that there seemed to be so much wall to fill above the shelf itself.  That's when the bright lights went off in the ol' noggin'.  I still had a second identical floating shelf from our old office space!  SCORE!



Are you cheating and looking at the goodies in the washer reflection??

Don't worry, I wasn't done yet.  You see, as much as I totally dig the clean lines of the shelves, they were definitely still missing something... and I knew JUST what those shelves needed!  Cheapo wooden corbels from Home Depot!


The corbels came in at $2.50 each and I picked up a total of 6, which means I spent a total of $15 smackaroos.  I used some leftover paint we had from our Billy Bookcase Built-In project, which we had color matched to the Billy shelves.  I figured, Ikea white is Ikea white, it should be close enough, and sure enough, the Billy Bookshelf White was also a super great match to the Ikea Lack Shelf White.  Catch all that?


The first coat sucked right into the wood.  So they were a two coat project.

Once the corbels were painted and ready to go, the hubs actually just removed the floating shelves and used the install bar as a guide to determine where to line up the corbels...


Because there were three "arms" to hold the floating shelf, we decided to place each of the three corbels right below.  And I will throw this out there, we were installing these corbels for aesthetics only, the shelves are actually fully supported by the original install.


Once all the corbels were screwed in, we just popped the shelf back into place:


And we were left with....



At this point, it was 11:30 on a Wednesday night, but I was so excited about the shelves, I just had to pop my belongings on them!!  {and then even stay up to write a blog post about it!}


All those great baskets on the top shelf are filled with my painting supplies {rollers, tape, brushes, putty, drop clothes, etc...}.


The second shelf has our detergent, a stain removal chart and other pretty things!

The "Laundry" drink tub I did awhile back, still contains my delicate clothing, and the green boxes still hold our little laundry essentials.


And to give you a peek at the rest of the space in it's current state:


The Expedit is housing boxes for our extra fabrics and pillow covers, overflow of surplus cleaning supplies, light-bulbs and other misc. laundry supplies.  We also moved our previous game cabinet into the space, it will ultimately function as our lower level linen closet {for those wondering about the cabinet, it originally came from Ikea and was pieced together from the Effectiv line}

And finally, there is that pop of yellow, special thanks to the pretty ironing board cover courtesy of HomeGoods {a score for just $10!} and the MacBeth Collection!


And that rounds out the current up to the minute tour!

So much fun to see the side by side of how it looked just a few days ago!


Totally coming along right?  And I still can't believe the difference the $15 corbel investment made.  Seriously, totally transformed the whole space.  Anyone else make a tiny investment that made a huge difference?  Any other midnight decorators out there?  Maybe we should start a late night decorating club...

65 comments:

  1. You're lucky to have a room and not just a walk through to the garage like I have. Your room is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the floating shelves with the corbels! The room looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so envious of your adorable space. It is lovely! Congratulations on 10 wonderful years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw all your shelving and baskets all I could think was "Ooo La La!" It looks like an enjoyable space which I think is important for a laundry room :) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so pretty! It would be a pleasure to do laundry there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, leave it to you to make an amazing space the week of parties, vow renewal and anniversaries. I love it. The space is fantastic. And so big. Very envious. Great solution on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jen!! It looks amazing! The corbels were such a great idea!! Love, love, love the whole space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, your space is beautiful. Second of all, my personal and unprofessional opinion is that leveling the washer and drier is the best thing you ever could have done. In the "before" picture everything looks crooked, just because the washer and drier were uneven. The after picture = jealousy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make it look so easy! And I'm amazed how quickly you can transfrom a space.

    Me? I cleared out everything from our laundry room space, painted the wall green, hubby put washer/dryer back....and that's the state it's been in the past month. No shelves yet, nothing "pretty"...sigh, soon.

    Happy 10 year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are moving to a new house in a few weeks and the laundry room has zero functionality. You've totally inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your "new" laundry room!! i would seriously sleep in there, it is so adorable. i would just make it my cozy little room.

    i hear you on the late night decorating. when i start a project all i want is to get it done so i can look at it all finished and pretty. so there is late night decorating followed by even later night admiring. my husband says i need to start my projects earlier in the day.. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great organized space. Love the hanging shelves and the standing shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I'm in love. I can't wait for Ben to finish up our laundry room shelving so our room can be pretty, too. Oh, and I love that you used what you had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I confess to being another midnight decorator :-) A couple of weeks ago, 9pm on a Thursday, I told my middle son we needed to rearrange the living room/office space. His brain being wired like mine, he was fully on board. His older and younger brothers, however, were not. Despite their protests, we all moved furniture until the wee hours of the morning.

    Two weeks later I am sitting in a newly organized living room/office, enjoying the better flow and additional space we gained in the combination room. I was able to make or repurpose anything I needed for storage and decoration, so it cost me nothing. And I'm $25 ahead with stuff I sold, plus I have 2 boxes of books and homeschool materials to sell next week. I never would have tackled the project without inspiration from your great blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to laugh while reading - I was totally checking out the the goods in the reflection of the mirror and then I read your purple caption. Too funny! The organized baskets on the floor just caught my attention and I couldn't help but peak.

    I loved your laundry room before, but I have to say I love it even more now!! The shelving makes the space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!!! The room is turning out really well. So pretty. Love the corbels. Definitely completed the shelves. Nice touch. I love seeing that we have the same flooring in our Laundry Room. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annelies from BrusselsJuly 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM

    It's beautiful! But do you really iron there? I love to watch tv while doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea about the little boxes on top of your washer/dryer! I plan to implement that idea this weekend. Question for you though... do you hang dry many of your clothes? If so, where do you have your dry rack or your pole for hanger clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE this! you do such a great job decorating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gold star!!! =) hehe you're seriously the organizational queen of blog land. Tis true! <2

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Love the rug! Where did you get it?? I was up until midnight building a new Tar-jay shoe rack last night... glad to see I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so very much want to live in your house!!! I love it I have used a few of your organizing tips and am hooked! Wish I could do more but we live in military housing so limited on what we can do.

    **PS: I am a Wisconsin girl to so that makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like Stephanie, we are military as well and I'd love to do everything you do but I have a smaller budget since we move every 3 years. I do have a question. My washer and dryer are red. I feel that limits the color choices for painting the walls. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it!! What a great room. Can u spill where you got your wire baskets on the 2nd to bottom shelf of the Expedit shelf??

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE it, I have a tiny closet for a laundry room! My big project is finishing up my little boy's room to make way for baby boy #2!! Only a few weeks away (I also wait until the last minute!) Also, happy anniversary, it's my 5 year today :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it! Totally amazing space. And, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Prince of Peace Preschool: I actually love love love baby blue and teal with red. Would that work?

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks great. The Ikea expedit shelves look great. We have a lot of rain here and I have to dry things in the dryer so lots of dust so I was planning on closed in cupboard, but I do love hte look of open shelving. How do you find that with all those open baskets and things? Also, you laundry is HUGE!!! It's looks as big as one of our bedrooms. Very classy makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it! Very inspiring as I try to make-over my sad little laundry room. I'm thinking I need an awesome rug too....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where did you get that rug, I love it!?!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks great. I wish we had a dedicated laundry room. Our washer and dryer is in the garage. It has to compete with our dogs, tools, and everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Inspired by another of your posts I stayed up until midnight last night making an art caddy for the kids. Pop on over and have a look please

    ReplyDelete
  33. I totally Love your *new* laundry - such a transformation ... just the kind of laundry room I would find myself wantingto do the laundry in! Yes, I was totally checking out the goodies in the washer reflection, though my main double take was .... is that a television I spy in your laundry?!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just discovered your blog and I love all the inspiring ideas! Love the laundry room!

    DomesticforDummies.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jen-

    Love your new space! I was helping my mother redo hers as well and your space leaves even more room for inspiration for her! She is dealing with a limited space but all the better for being creative, right?

    Can you please divulge where you got the organizer that holds your iron, supplies and ironing board? I have little to no room in my apt washer/dryer area and would love something like that!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG! Jen- I LOVE it soooo much! You have me totally fantasizing about a laundry room that's not just a pass-through to the garage like ours...

    Unfortunately, there will be no real laundry room makeover plans until we can score some front-loaders either to place a countertop over or to do as stackables. :)

    Late-nighters... well, I wasn't late night decorating, but I totally was late night organizing! I had a super "filing freak-out!" LOL Can't wait to share!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy anniversary! Enjoy your vow renewal tomorrow! Love the laundry room changes.

    ReplyDelete
  38. where did you get the wire shelves, the second row up from the bottom on the shelving unit?

    ReplyDelete
  39. *oops...i meant the wire baskets, on the second row from the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the transformation. Where did you get the wire baskets that sit on the second shelf from the bottom? I'm looking for some just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG I am just loving the new laundry and am super envious of the amount of space you have in there for cupboards.
    It looks fab and I can't wait to see what the rest of the lower level turns out like.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh my! I love what you did! Those shelves look A M A Z I N G!

    ReplyDelete
  43. @RedVelvetsRealm, the iron board holder is extremely similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Board-Holder-WHITE-Organize-All/dp/B000B6JC9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310962852&sr=8-1, amazon has a slew of them.

    Everyone, the wire baskets were a clearance find from Home Decorators, it appears they are no longer available online. I will keep my eyes peeled for other similar options and share if I come across any! :)

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow, this actually makes me want to clean and do laundry. And have you decorate my future home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love the new rug! Sophisticated touch for the laundry room - kind of elevates it to a whole new place. I

    f I may - one idea to make the room even more useful? I see you have a laundry sink in the corner. Get an inexpensive tension window rod and put it up between the end of the shelf and the wall. This way if you have any clothes you need to hang dry, and you hang them on the rod and they will drip right into the sink. It won't take up any extra room. If you want to be really cute, make a sleeve out of a yellow print fabric and slide it over the rod before mounting.

    Great job! Really gives you a sense of accomplishment, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for showing me corbels! There was a picture on pinterest that had a shelf using corbels above a door in the bathroom and I wanted to copy it but I had NO idea how to do it. I thought I was going to just have to use the floating ikea shelf, which wasn't the look I wanted. But now I know! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a great laundry room. Laundry is the worst chore I can think of. But, if I had your laundry room, it would become my favorite. I adore all of your baskets. You have the coolest baskets all through your home. Great job.
    Rhonda @ The Messy Roost

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi-I have a red washer and dryer and I was wondering if you had a suggestion on what color I could paint our laundry room. It is currently beige-looks fine but boring and it is flat paint which I'm not a fan of either.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Just found your page that really spoke to me as I
    do love to organize , such a good idea with the Ikea Lack shelf , that is practical piece but boring.
    Now I know what to do with my spare one.

    Thanks and regards from a swedish Ikealady

    ReplyDelete
  50. That room is huge! It looks great, love the organization ideads you have :) Thanks for showing.
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Jen, if you notice a huge uptick in our site stats, that's just me trying to read all your old posts! Great blog!

    Can you tell me where you got your laundry room rug? I'm moving next week, and I think that rug would be perfect in my new little kitchen! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  52. @pedalpower, here is a link to the rug: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18491175&color=000&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=A_FURN_RUGS

    You can find all my home sources here: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2011/09/its-here-home-tour-source-list.html

    Thanks so much! Hope your move went well!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love this. So glad I saw it. DH hates floating shelves because he's afraid to put anything on them & I had thought about this myself. This just helped us know how to do it. I love the look & that it fives some extra support to the shelves. Love the room as well.

    ReplyDelete
  54. What is in the framed picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a stain removal chart that I found over on MarthaStewart.com.

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  55. love the rug...where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trina!

      http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18491175&color=000&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=A_FURN_RUGS

      Thank you!
      Jen

      Delete
  56. I love the frame with the stain removal chart, very smart! Where is the frame from? P.S. ABSOLUTELY LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela!

      I found it at Target a few years back. :)

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
  57. was wondering wehre you find your microfiber towels in your green basket? Also I cant seem to find the white baskets at the container store do you have a link to them? one last question have you seen those media boxes instore recently? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find microfiber rags at Target {in the mop isle} or on amazon. The white baskets are no longer available at the Container Store {which breaks my heart because they are totally awesome} and I haven't been to IKEA in awhile to check if they still have the green and white boxes, I believe they may have swapped out the colors but still carry the same size.

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
  58. Love the rug, can you please share where it is from?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Here is the source for the rug:

      http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18491175&color=000&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=A_FURN_RUGS

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  59. Hi Jen,
    What type of flooring did you use in your laundry room? I am wanting to redo our laundry room and I love you floors and would like to use the same thing. THanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.