Thursday, February 17, 2011

46 IHeart a Good Weekend Update!

We got our paint on last weekend.  I gave you a glimpse of the color here, when I shared a little jewelry project that I completed....

Today, I am gonna give your the full reveal of the new color, and share a couple other small touches that made a HUGE difference in the space.  In fact, it once again amazed me the power that paint has on a space... seriously, I thought the room was OK left white, {since we knew residing in the guest room was only a temporary thing}...and I shared the full room reveal with you here.


It seemed as though we had brought in plenty of color by painting basically everything else in the room, and through bedding and the office closet/curtains.  All great solutions to renters that can't touch a paint can in their rentals... but I have to admit... the white walls REALLY got to me.  They even got to the hubs, so I knew they were bad.  Seriously, when I tell him I am painting a room {again}, he typically gives me a look of "really?" or rolls his beautiful hazel eyes.... but this time he was like, "Absolutely go for it!".  Yikes....

So, after living with loads of paint swatches stuck behind the trim... I finally just snagged my favorite swatch, had the paint mixed, and went to town on the room!  I just want to mention for the first time ever I didn't tape out the walls, and tried a short handled trim brush instead {based on the suggestion of the YHLers, just not the exact one they use}.  And it was MAGICAL!  So much easier, making this paint job uber quick which is perfect for a busy mom!!

Anyways, I used Behr's Premium Plus Ultra in Burnished Metal.  It turned out GORGEOUS!


It's a soft gray blue color that seemed to be the perfect solution to blend in all the colors throughout the space!  Yet, it totally made every detail, big and small, POP!



However, aside from the new color, you may haven noticed that I also made a couple of other updates... Starting with the coverlet.  I found it on clearance at Target and new it would be the perfect solution for us since we are always too hot with a duvet and insert.  Plus, I can't STAND duvets, just sayin...  And the price on the coverlet was just too good to pass up...


Yep, only $27.48 marked down from $109.99.  And it was much better than the brown quilt we had previously....  The white throw pillow was also from Target for $24.99.  The white pillow gave a cleaner layering effect, and the previous ivory pillows looked dirty with the new scheme.  They will find a new home within our home....

And that mirror...


It's actually just a small convex mirror with bursts made from poster board... hot glued to the back!


I wish I could take credit for thinking up this super inexpensive WOW statement, but credit goes to this tutorial I followed from the Nesting Place...


Our dresser stayed almost the same, I just switched up the accessories with others from around the house, including the white branch that I stole from our holiday display...


And the jewelry display rounds out the room tour....


So now for all the glorious Before and Afters....

What once looked like this.....


Then looked like this....


And now looks like THIS!



And this.....


Is now THIS!


And this.....


Is now THIS!


And let's not forget about that little office nook...  Now it pops better than ever!!

Before:


And AFTER!



So there you have it!  The power of paint!  Don't you just heart what it can do in the matter of a couple of hours!?!  Parker even told me he didn't want to leave my new room until I get his done.... hmmmm?


I definitely can't argue with a sweet face like that!

So what do you think, better?  What's your favorite part of the update?  Who else has been getting their paint on?  Trim?  Walls?  A piece of furniture?  How about playing with spray paint?  Or maybe making their own sunburst mirrors?  Share the goods!

46 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! Love the color. Where is your dresser/chest from? I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the transformation! I have the nesters project on my to do list as well. Where did you get your bed, its gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies!

    The dresser was from Slumberland about 12 years ago and the bed is from Ashley furniture.

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, what a heavenly transformation! Your room is absolutely breathtaking. And I am loving, loving, loving (had to say it 3 times for emphasis) that sunburst mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looks amazing! I love the color! I am a bit partial as we used a similar gray throughout our house! But I love your blends of colors in the bedding & accessories! I'm finally ready to start adding those finishing touches in our new house so I love getting ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I <3 the paint colour, gorgeous! And I am so jealous of your little office nook. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A.MAZ.ING!!! I am also a huge fan of painting a wall. I'm an instant satisfaction kinda gal and paint meets that need for me! Love the quilt on the bed...that also makes such a huge difference. On my way to Target right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I know what you mean - white walls get to me, too! You chose the perfect color - it really makes everything pop!

    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge fan of the walls! We did pretty much the same thing (with a slightly darker shade) and it transformed our room COMPLETELY!
    http://cleansmartsimple.blogspot.com/2010/12/shades-of-gray.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks gorgeous!!!! I love it. It's amazing what a little bit of paint can do. I'm hoping to use the same tutorial for the mirror one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so good! That looks AMAZING! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OoooooOOOOOoooohhhhh! I LOVE it! The new color looks great, but I REALLY love the coverlet. I've been coveting it for a while, but have never seen that great of a price. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is beautiful! I love the new color and the new coverlet. Everything pops! You did a great job. Thanks for sharing. I want to go do my room now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right, when do I move in?

    Seriously, I adore everything you've done here. You had the basics under control but the finishing touches (the paint and mirror especially) really make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where did you get the paisley sheets/cover?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! That is gor-gee-ous! Its proof positive that paint can make all the difference in the world. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awwwwwwww parker!!!! so happy to see his smiling face as part of the photo montage! =)

    GREAT upgrade girl! and what a steal of a coverlet! Congrats on the amazingness!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  18. seriously.......AMAZING! I love your transformation. I'm going to redo our den soon. I have so many ideas, but the space is so blank that I am having a hard time figuring out what to do first and do it on a budget. I love that coverlett. I wish I could find one at that price!!!! Take a look at my blog, I'm doing the 21 day challenge at a bowl full of lemons and I used some of your organzing techniques and listed you under my favorite blogs. Check it out :) xoxo Nikki
    Follow my blog at www.nikkilovesbrad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH MY I love it all.. but that little office nook is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG IT LOOKS AMAZING! I'm now so inspired to do something similar at home! Currently our walls are a too-deep french gey, but I might do a lighter coat like this and pop in some luxe accessories in the way you have.

    It looks like an upmarket luxury hotel!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh boy this is gorgeous! It really intensifies the color of the wall paper in your office nook. The mirror idea is brilliant! How did you think of that!!?

    My question is-- did you use the angled brush for the whole room? (sorry if dumb quesition!) Or did you just use this brush in place of taping off all the trim and windows? Does the brush really avoid all paint swipes and smudges on the trim? Did you use a roller too? Thanks for answering!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the room! It is so refreshing! You always do such a great job! My problem is always changing my mind on which direction to take with the colors. I love that you did not spend on fortune on it too! Do you always use fresh flowers or are they silk for your displays?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Angie! Sometimes the flowers are real, sometimes not. I search Pier 1 and Target for artificial since I have found they typically appear the most real... but I also love bringing in a cheapo $5 bouquet and splitting it up around the house as often as I can, especially in the winter months!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looked pretty good in the middle picture, but, wow, it looks super now! Love, love, the "fancy" mirror that you made. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous, I only used the brush along the trim and ceilings, and it was crazy amazing to me how well it worked. I don't know how, but I was able to go along the trim and ceiling and no paint got on either. It was magical... I am in love! I rolled the rest!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay so I just returned from my Target shopping trip (see how much you inspired me) and they did not have the same one, but I ended up with Dwell coverlet with birds on it for 19.98 (reg 79.99) that matches my bedroom walls (Behr-Gulf Winds) perfectly! I will have to move some things from other rooms to finish it, but that's part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG we have matching beds! Only because I got the same deal on the bedspread. I almost got the giant gathered pillow too, but my boyfriend was like, that's too many pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This furniture isn't really new to me, It is nice to see new innovative things which makes eyes pleasant. I am totally assuaged by these acumen works. Liked to see more from them so that i can have many things in my home for decorative aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dying over your little office nook...beautiful! I have a similar chandelier in our dining room and I have that little white vase from Crate. I love the mirror on your dresser. Can I ask where it's from?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Ashley!

    Thanks for the sweet comment!

    The mirror is from Home Decorators: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Water_Hyacinth_Round_Mirror/820/

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think it looks really great! Although I did think the before on the dresser top was nicer. <3

    Do you use fresh flowers or fake?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sometimes the flowers are real, sometimes not. I search Pier 1 and Target for artificial since I have found they typically appear the most real... but I also love bringing in a cheapo $5 bouquet and splitting it up around the house as often as I can, especially in the winter months!

    xoxo, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello.
    I've been reading for ages but haven't commented.
    The room looks truly beautiful!

    Gosh I wish you would come to Townsville - we have to redo all the bedrooms thanks to Cyclone Yasi, and I don;t know where to start.
    I stand in awe of your talent!!!
    Best wishes,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love your room! I am just wondering, where did you get those sheets of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am guessing you are referencing the paisley bedding? Here is the link: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/paisley-400-thread-count-duvet-cover-sham-porcelain-blue/?pkey=e%7Cblue%2Bpaisley%7C5%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi-Love the lamps. Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy!

      They were a Pottery Barn splurge - http://www.potterybarn.com/products/alexis-ceramic-table-lamp-base/?pkey=e|lamp|110|best|0|viewall|24||96&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Lamps-_-

      I have seen similar styles for less at HomeGoods.

      xoxo!
      Jen

      Delete
  37. Love the little tiny white moulded shelf...where did you find it? i can't stand paying so much money for those shelves and can't seem to find one for cheap! please share when you can. your bedroom is very dreamy! i need a new color (currently sporting ben moore's georgian brick...too much red!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it at Target. I believe they still have a large selection of inexpensive white floating shelves.

      xoxo,
      Jen

      Delete
  38. How big was the convex mirror you used for the sunburst?

    ReplyDelete
  39. How did you hang this?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. How did you hang the sunburst mirror?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just made a sunburst mirror over the weekend...love it! I used contractor shims and painted them to match the bedding in our room. The colors are perfect and it was sooooo much cheaper than buying one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.