Tuesday, November 9, 2010

18 Not So "Plane" Organizing Bin!

As you may recall, we were in the middle of switchin' things up with our boys bedrooms, right around the same time we got hit with the basement flood.

We had gotten through the major logistics of putting their rooms back together, but the rest of the fun and decorating was put on hold....

Until now.  I have decided they have been waiting long enough, and have been working on a couple of fun projects for both of their spaces!

I started with this uber duber easy mail bin update.  When I last left you, I had mentioned that I had snagged a clear file bin from Target for about $2.90, which I used to corral some of the little ones coloring books, right at their desk space...


It worked.  But I urged to make it pretty!

Enter my obsession with spray paint.  Although I am typically gaga over all things acrylic, in this space, I felt it just added unnecessary eye clutter, since I could see all the goods the kids stashed inside.

Plus, going with their airplane theme, I had a couple of decals floating around I was just itching to use in their space!

So I started with the clear mail bin.


And then I placed an airplane decal on the front {a sticky wall decal found on Etsy}.


Cute already, but I could still see inside.  Time to change that with a quick coat of navy blue spray paint over the entire mail bin.


And once the paint was dry, I peeled off the decal, which left me with this:


I popped a piece of decorative scrap paper inside with some tape, and called it complete!  I just love how the pattern shows through to the front, and can easily be switched out when the mood strikes!


Which gave me the exact "before and after" I was going for!


I just love how the decal gave me a crisp airplane outline on the bin, just like using painters tape with stripes.  It really worked out magically.  And it made me realize that I don't have to stop at this bin.  I have a house full of decals since I adore them so, and I can't wait to take this idea to the next level!

So what do you all think?  Pretty adorable little change for a growing kid's room?!  And it was incredibly easy, which is totally why IHeart it even more!

Anyone else using spray paint or decals to make fun changes to their spaces?   


18 comments:

  1. Sooo cute. You are so creative! Are decals just a one time just thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cat!

    In this case, yes, since I sprayed it, I ended up not being able to keep this specific decal any longer. However, it came in a pack of 10 so I have many leftover for other projects in their room.

    I have found some decals can be moved again after being used, and others can not...

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very adorable! I haven't tried this but I love the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray planes!!! Best idea ever! (being a pilot's wife makes me in no way biased! lol) Great solution & I def agree with keeping things opaque when they are corralling items.

    I haven't used spray paint with decals yet (though I have been using some spray paint!) & I'm excited to try something similar =) Awesome little tip!

    I heard Stamp-it brand decals can move over and over again. I might have to test it out & let ya know!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea because it is so adaptable to many different uses and themes. Would love to give this a try in my office space to keep the papers more organized (and cute!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried spray painting acrylic...did you have to prime it first? Was it just one coat of paint? I love this idea...you're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen this is so cute. I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog it is my daily inspiration. Because of you I have decided to change things up on my wee little blog and start blogging about my starting to get more organised in our home and family life. Thanks Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. won't the spray paint scratch off the plastic? (it's very cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,

    I was a little worried about scratched spray paint, and wanted to ensure an even effect, so I did two coats of the 2x coverage spray paint and I also did a coat of clear spray as well. I am pretty confident it will hold up!

    Thanks!
    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a solution for incoming mail and this would be great. I could use it and spell out the word "mail" in front and hang up. Keep the superb ideas coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog - Love this idea!!! how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just started using Pinterest and love your page! This will work great next to the kids bed for their reading books too! Yeah! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your page and I LOVE it. I was looking across your project gallery and found this. If you are really on a budget you can use cereal boxes! And cut them into the bin shape. Put some contact/wrapping paper over them and use mod podge! My friend did this and they turned out really cute for her. Going to try it myself. I live the idea of using things you already have and savings pennies :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jen,

    I love this idea! You said you spraypaint often.. how do get such a nice even coat? When I've tried spraypainting I seem to get uneven coverage. When I go over it again some areas have too much paint and even generate bubbles or drips (depending on the angle of course). Please help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super thin and even coats. It is also important to ensure your surface is clean and dry. Sometimes it also helps to use a primer, depending on the scope of the project and the surface.

      Thanks so much! xoxoxo!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.